Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#90095 07/30/04 11:56 AM
R
RUSURE Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks to all who help out with the questios posted. We are coming to Ambergris/Caye Caulker August 6th-10th and have a few questions.
1. Are there certain days that the cruise ships are docked? We want to avoid the crowds on any tours or trips we might take if at all possible.
2. We are thinking of going either cave tubing or to the ruins of lamanai or altun-ha. We only have time to do one. My wife has rhuematoid arthritis and is somewhat limited in her ability to walk and climb for a long time or distance. Could anyone give us some insight as to what might work best for us?
3. We are snorkelers and are thinking about taking one of the trips to the blue hole. Would it be worth it as we are not diving? It looks like it would to us.
4. From what I have read it looks like Tulu is someone who will take you to out of the way places. Does he take snorkelers or just divers? there are 3 of us. Are there any other options for something like this? thanks for the help!
God Bless. ><>

#90096 07/30/04 01:20 PM
RUSURE - I have been to Lamanai, Altun Ha and a cave tubing trip. Altun Ha is a small ruin your wife should manage that quite well. Lamanai is a great trip - a long day but mixed with boat (or airplane), bus and more boats before you walk around the ruins. In my book, it's the best of the three tours you are considering. Cave Tubing requires a long walk, on uneven ground, carrying inner tubes and can be strenuous - not sure it would be the best thing for your wife.

I will add that when I did these trips, I was 100+ pounds overweight and have had back surgery. I struggled with the cave tubing but managed the Ruin trips. Happily, I am 100+ pounds lighter now and look forward to exploring the ruins again, but due to my back problems, I will likely not go cave tubing ever again.

I have not had the privaledge to join Tulu on any of his trips but perhaps I will have the opportunity during my trip to AC from August 12- 17!

Good Luck and have a wonderful time! laugh

Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's - Now They Lead to Hurricane's!"
#90097 07/30/04 02:54 PM
R
RUSURE Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Gela, thanks for the help and congratulations on the new you!

#90098 07/30/04 03:20 PM
K
K
I wouldn't do the Blue hole trip just to snorkle. Seems like a waste of time and money. You won't be able to see anything in the hole, and I doubt the snorkeling around it is any better than places around AC. On the other hand, the trip to the BH also includes a couple other dive sites, lunch, and booze afterwards. If you enjoy boat rides, and some great scenery, it might be worth the trip.

#90099 07/30/04 04:17 PM
P
P
KWIBMF why would you say this when you obviously don't have a clue?

While the snorkelling is good on the Barrier Reef out on the atolls is another story. The corals and snorkelling are very different and you will be able to see tons at the Blue Hole. I once forwent the dive to snorkel the rim of the Blue Hole and was amazed. The corals are stunning and are almost right to the surface, with lots fish and you can also see the divers and sharks in the hole itself if you have the balls to swim over the black water (scared the life out of me yet I wouldn't think twice to dive it). You will need to be able to swim a reasonable distance at all three sites from the boat mooring as it is positioned for the divers and you will want shallower water, but at most I would guess 100 yards. All sites are reasonably sheltered and in the lee of prevailing winds.

Granted it is a long trip that is often rough as it's over open Sea, it's expensive for some people and these reasons might put you off - but not the quality of what's there.

Lamanai is a really good mixture of Belizean wonders and although entailing a half hour to hour walk it is relatively flat and the usual pace is slow as the group often spreads out. All the operators are very good. SeaRious are our choice.

Usually there are no Cruise Ships at the weekend and be aware they go to all three attractions you mentioned, and are like a swarm of ants. From the schedule I have they are in town on your first and last day. Tropic Air Tours also visit Lamanai and get you in and out before anyone else arrives, it is only a half a day tour as it skips the boat ride to mainland and bus to New River, and while more expensive it does still include the great New River trip which is half the fun.

Have a great time in Belize and Tulu will do you proud as a local snorkel guide.

#90100 07/30/04 04:28 PM
R
RUSURE Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks Casa! We are actually there from the 6th-14th not the 10th. Any Idea what the flight costs for the Lamanai trip?

#90101 07/31/04 11:46 AM
P
P
The Tropic Lamanai Trip costs US$188 per person as opposed to US$135 via boat with SeaRious. Two people is enough to confirm a Tropic trip so you can go any day, while SeaRious need around eight, but they do all the work in pulling the trip together and they usually run every third day or so at that time of year. The 11th 12th and 13th are also Cruise Ship days.

#90102 08/02/04 06:25 AM
We did the TropicAir Lamanai trip in June. We left AC at 0730 - just us and pilot. Were in our boat for the river tour at 0800. Just us and a wonderful guide. Got to Lamanai before the crowds. It was wonderful. Had a good lunch, back down the river, plane was waiting, back to AC and on the beach. A fantastic way to spend the day. cool

#90103 08/02/04 06:28 AM

#90104 08/02/04 09:49 AM
We went to Lamanai in April. The wildlife and ruins were wonderful. We didn't care for the long trip up and back. I thought it would be fun, but it was long and hot. You take a boat to the mainland, then board a bus. The bus ride is very bumpy and I got sick to my stomach. You then board another boat. The second boat ride is slower and we saw colorful birds. The boat ride back from the mainland to AC was very rough. A storm was coming in and the waves were huge. We were holding on for dear life and every time the boat hit a wave, we went airborne from our seats then crashed down-- very painful on the back and ribs. It was not a fun experience. My friend, who already had a sore back, was in a lot of pain. We cancelled another long boat trip for the next day because we were concerned about rough water.

Next time we go to AC, we will fly into Belize City, spend a couple of days on the mainland, then fly to AC for the rest of the trip. If you can't do this, you may want to take the plane back to the mainland to avoid the long boat ride.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.