Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#91054 - 08/25/04 01:22 PM VISA or Cash?
Wendy Jo Offline
We're leaving for AC tomorrow (YEAH!!), and our travel agent said to take cash as many places on the island don't take credit cards. Is this true? Also, can anyone give me the extended forecast for AC? I can find weather info on line for Belize City, but nothing for the island. Thanks!!

#91055 - 08/25/04 01:25 PM Re: VISA or Cash?
Denny Shane Offline
Personally, when I go I try and take as much cash as I can. Many places tack on 5% because of the credit card.

As far as weather is concerned, I don't think you'll find anything about the island, just Belize in general.

#91056 - 08/25/04 01:55 PM Re: VISA or Cash?
streetchie Offline
I always arrive with U.S. currency and depart with a combination of both. You may be able to find the AC weather forecast here. www.sanpedrosun.net

#91057 - 08/25/04 02:43 PM Re: VISA or Cash?
captjeff Offline
wendy most good / better restaurant's take visa /master some take amex the better rest do not charge extra to use ,ie,,casa pisaco .blue water grill ,jade garden,elveis ,caliente ,taste of thailand , capricorn ,portofino's,the list goes on ..go live the dream and enjoy ,,

#91058 - 08/25/04 02:52 PM Re: VISA or Cash?
Fluffy Offline
I never found a place that didn't accept a credit card. However, cash is always good. And lots of it.

#91059 - 08/25/04 02:54 PM Re: VISA or Cash?
tradewinds Offline
We used a credit card a lot (air miles)in both restaurants and shops, and the only place that tacked on a charge was the Sandbox on Caye Caulker (was only $1.50 US).

#91060 - 08/25/04 02:59 PM Re: VISA or Cash?
Johnboy Offline
I recommend travelers checks with any type of travel..... wink

#91061 - 08/25/04 03:00 PM Re: VISA or Cash?
bywarren Offline
If you going to factor everything into this equation, you need to consider what your credit card company charges for the foreign transaction. Normally the exchange rate is poor and there are often charges of up to 4% for a foreign transaction. When I used to use my Master Card from Chase, the total "extra charges" approached 5%. And that did not include any extra charges the business might add on.

The bottom line to me is, credit cards are the most convenient way to go. Although if you are going to be spending a considerable amount, the savings of using other means is worth taking into consideration.

#91062 - 08/25/04 04:36 PM Re: VISA or Cash?
krehfish Offline
Try this for weather: wwghcc.mfsc.nasa.gov/GOES/goeseastconusir.html--- It'll give you the storm patterns and you'll see why the weather from belize city is not the island's weather.

#91063 - 08/25/04 04:44 PM Re: VISA or Cash?
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
In my experience, all hotels, most restaurants and at least the larger shops all take credit cards. No just in San Pedro but all over Belize. The majority no longer tack on a surcharge, but some do. You do usually end up with a transaction fee from your credit card issuer, maybe a percent or two of the charge, sometimes more.

Most places, even tour guides, grocery stores, etc. accept traveller's checks, though you usually need your passport.

Don't forget that Belize Bank's ATMs around Belize (including the one on Front Street in San Pedro) now accept foreign ATM cards. On a recent trip around Belize all the ones I tried worked fine, though occasionally they are down or "out of money" (they dispense Belize dollars only).

With some U.S. cash, maybe some TCs, an ATM card and a couple of credit cards you can spend your way into massive debt just about anywhere in Belize.

--Lan Sluder

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 42 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,079 Topics
462,375 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.