Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#91470 09/03/04 09:45 PM
Oh, that's right, No thugs in San Padro.

"first you look around, then keeping alert, you walk briskly to your vehicle, shoulders back, strong stride, keys at the ready, nothing in your hands or arms to impede you in a struggle. On the other hand, if you walk into the parkade, hesitate, looking frail and scared, you might look like an easy target."

Yeah, that should work real well. Especially if keep your shoulders back.
That should scare off a drug addict needing a fix.

gforrest.imageculture.com
#91471 09/03/04 10:32 PM
If you are that worried about it, stay off the beach at night. Easy enough to do.

If you want to walk on the beach at night with your honey, then stay aware of your surroundings. If you don't want to carry a whistle, then get one of those little personal alarms and keep it in your hand, pocket or on a belt loop. They can usually be picked up at luggage stores and don't cost all that much.

By the way, my advice is the standard safety advice given by police and safety experts to people walking alone whether that be in a parkade or on a street. One other piece of advice that generally comes with it, is if you are concerned about someone in your vicinity, cross to the other side of the street to see if they follow you. Well, you can't very well do that on the beach. However, if you do encounter someone on the beach during your walk, and you get a bad feeling, trust your instincts.

At this point in time, I'm making these suggestions to anyone else that is interested. Obviously, you will not be going onto the beach in the evenings.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#91472 09/03/04 11:30 PM
seashell, Why would I let the remote chance of encountering some jerk on the beach keep from enjoying an evening walk on the beach??
I rather carry mace and enjoy the evening. And another thing, who said anything about being worried?
What's your hang-up with mace anyway? It stays in your pocket if not needed.
Works better than "keeping your shoulders back while talking strong strides".
Get real.

gforrest.imageculture.com
#91473 09/03/04 11:42 PM
You've lost that loving feeling. smile

About the last thing I want to be taking with me on holiday is a can of mace. And since even you are now saying the chance of encounter is remote, then carrying mace seems more than a bit of overkill.

By the way, there are also lessons on how to use mace effectively. Are you aware of them, by chance? If so, then when you recommend that people carry, you should also supply those recommendations for its correct application/use, should it become necessary to do so. Or at a minimum, caution those you are recommending to carry to also learn how to use it effectively.

Hey Jesse, you might want to delete a bit of this particular thread. wink

#91474 09/04/04 02:13 AM
By the way, I'd just like to add that I was kinda kidding about the whistle. wink

#91475 09/04/04 08:30 AM
The walk back to BB from town was always interesting for us. Stopping at the various bars along the way made it a lot of fun. Never any problems. Met a lot of other couples and singles doing the same thing. We would recommend a good pocket flashlight - one for each walker.
In addition to being a safety feature, these were especially helpful to keep those coconut trees from jumping out in front of you...ouch... cool

#91476 09/04/04 08:54 AM
I wonder what seashell thinks of me walking the beach with my two pearl handled 45 colt revolvers straped on my waist and my assault rifle slung over my one shoulder with my bandolier of grenades over the other?

I have never had a problem. I have no idea what these people think they have to be afraid of. laugh

PS: I almost forgot the most important of all, my pen light and whistle hung around my neck.

PPS: "Don't carry all of your money with you, don't wear expensive jewelry and always look like you know where you are going. If you don't act like a victim, chances are you won't become one."

Good advice, don't want anyone to think I am not listening to seashell. Most of you probably didn't know the criminals, whoops, soon to be criminals if caught and convicted, are more intellegent than some might think. They know when you are carrying all of your money and are experts at identifying expensive jewelry and can tell from a block away on any dark night whether you are wearing expensive, inexpensive or any jewelry. And, be sure when walking the beach you act like you know if you are walking to or from town. :p And if you have not been a victim, be sure you don't wear the "I am a victim" tee shirt and act like one. And be sure if you choose to carry mace, that you take the course that teaches you to point it at the person you want to deter and not at yourself.

And, why delete any part of this thread. It is a prime example of all the good advice you can get from this board. After all, is that not what it is for? :rolleyes:

#91477 09/04/04 10:24 AM
A
Aeriel Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hey bywarren. Don't forget your machette. laugh

#91478 09/04/04 10:33 AM
Ouch! I think I threw out my back when I was practicing throwing my shoulders back...

#91479 09/04/04 10:50 AM
No, Aeriel the anti-machete and the machete control advocates have convinced me that a machete can injure and kill people. I will stick with my previously described deterrents. smile

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 120 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.