Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#91460 - 09/03/04 07:32 PM night beach walking
Aeriel Offline
I'm trying to figure something out. On our past vacations, to various areas, we have always been told not to walk on the beaches at night. It's unsafe.
Reading trip reports and posts, many are saying that they walk the beaches at night. Others say that it is o.k., but to be aware of your surroundings. Still others say that they were "three sheets to the wind" when they walked at night. (They can't be very aware of their surroundings.)
Even driving a golf cart - how safe can that be? What protection would a golf cart give if someone decided to jack/rob you?
The roads are very lonely - even in the day - I think that I would prefer walking along the water. More people, etc.
So, which is it? Safe or unsafe?
I couldn't find an answer to this when doing a search.

#91461 - 09/03/04 07:54 PM Re: night beach walking
MALIBU Offline
Aeriel

I want to start out by saying that I do not live on AC, only an infrequent visitor. From everything I have read in their local paper the crime rate is up. Your question is very difficult to answer because what you might consider 'safe', somebody else might see as not safe or visa-versa. Do I think you are going to be shot while visiting? No. The likelyhood of something happening to you is very slim if you take precautions that you would take visiting anywhere: do not go somewhere by yourself, pay attention to the people around you and to what is going on around you, if you see some unsavory characters hanging around tell somebody or leave (making sure they do not follow you). I would hazard to say, in my 'I don't live there' view that you don't have anything to worry about. Ambergris Caye is not full of the crowds you have at some other Carrib. destinations so this, I believe, makes it a bit safer.

I can say that when we were there in July, we did not physically see any 'bad' people but then we were mostly looking at the beautiful views.

We DID walk on the beaches at night but we stayed on the North end where there isn't much activity at night. Many others on this board say they frequently walk the beaches at night and the only thing they worry about is bumping into a palm tree or having a coconut fall on their head.

BTW the roads are not lonely, especially in the day. How long has it been since you have been to AC?

My overall rating for myself is SAFE.

#91462 - 09/03/04 07:55 PM Re: night beach walking
whotsyface Offline
I've walked the beach at midnight with my Fiancee and another female friend many times while down there. Never a problem. We did the walk both 3 sheets to the wind and sober.I'm sure muggings happen and that you can find posts on that. I wouldn't worry about it. I keep and Eye out and look back every now and again. There are other people walking the beach as well, locals and tourists. Just stay aware and everything should be fine. If there are any problems scream! There are houses and hotels along the water....

If your worried just walk up one street from the beach. Same thing you can scream and some one will here you.

Like I told my dad when he was worried about going to Italy because of terrorist threats.... " It's either going to happen or it won't and I'd weigh in the favor of nothing happening, don't worry about it, Have fun on your trip"

Carry a bottle of Belikin in your back pocket... I'd bet it's better than a blackjack against someones head those bottles are so thick!!!

Don't worry! just keep an eye out! Everything will be fine and your going to have a good trip!

#91463 - 09/03/04 08:46 PM Re: night beach walking
Aeriel Offline
I was last in Ac in 2000. I found the roads (to the south) lonely. Also stretches of road past the cut, to the North, lonely.
We will be staying at Banana Beach. I understand that some of the road is by the lagoon. If it is the way that I remember, it has a lonely stretch.
Because we are near retirement age, someone could think that we are easy prey. We are not!
No, I don't think that anyone would shoot us. But, I do want to know what is safe and what is not.
By the way, last time that we were in AC we walked the beach/road at night. But times are different, places change. That is why I asked.

#91464 - 09/03/04 09:16 PM Re: night beach walking
streetchie Offline
Some of you may remember my post from a few weeks ago about a beach mugging. Crime is definitely an issue in SP. I've never had a problem, but it is very important to be aware of your surroundings. To put a positive spin on it,...if SP were easy to get to and crime free, there would probably be a McDonalds and a Planet Hollywood on Front St.

#91465 - 09/03/04 09:34 PM Re: night beach walking
JeffB in Houston Offline
I was just in SP for the first time almost a couple of weeks ago and had no problems or issues anywhere around. I did not go anywhere alone and would not suggest doing that anywhere. I didn't walk on the beach at night and wouldn't suggest doing so - it just doesn't make good common sense.

The only thing we found were some strange natives on Front Street at night - but very nice. We rented a cart and had been warned in advance that it can be common for mirrors or anything loose on your cart might disappear - so don't leave anything. We had no mirrors to begin with so no mirrors disappeared! The locals know you are visiting and will try to "help" you - but just act like you know where you are and what you are doing and you'll be fine. Never walk alone.

Go and have a great time!! I can't wait to go back.

#91466 - 09/04/04 12:57 AM Re: night beach walking
Everglades Offline
You may want to consider carrying MACE at night. Just don't pack it in your carry-on luggage.

#91467 - 09/04/04 01:35 AM Re: night beach walking
seashell Offline
Good grief!! Mace . . sheesh, I hope that is a joke.

If you are that worried about such things, carry a whistle with you on a string around your neck. That way you can quickly draw far more attention to yourself than any attacker would wish for. Not to mention scaring the bejeezus out of him. Another thing that you can do if someone decides to try and rob you, assuming you don't have a whistle (or mace), start screaming "fire" at the top of your lungs. While not many may pay as much attention when you scream for help, most everyone will rally for a fire.

Don't carry all of your money with you, don't wear expensive jewelry and always look like you know where you are going. If you don't act like a victim, chances are you won't become one.

#91468 - 09/04/04 03:02 AM Re: night beach walking
Everglades Offline
Sorry seashall, I'm dead serious. Being held up is no joke. I'll leave the whistle to you.

"If you don't act like a victim, chances are you won't become one."

How does one act like a victim when walking (any)beach at night, with one's lady friend?

Case in point, a young man and his 18 year old date were attacked on a Florida Beach at night by two thugs. She was raped and he was beat up and forced to watch the rape. Incidently, the beaches here are 100 yds wide, very unlikely anyone would even hear a whistle.

#91469 - 09/04/04 03:23 AM Re: night beach walking
seashell Offline
We are talking about San Pedro, not a Florida Beach.

As for not acting like a victim, that merely means that you walk with authority and/or an alert air about you.

For example, also not in San Pedro, but when walking to your car in a parkade especially at night, first you look around, then keeping alert, you walk briskly to your vehicle, shoulders back, strong stride, keys at the ready, nothing in your hands or arms to impede you in a struggle. On the other hand, if you walk into the parkade, hesitate, looking frail and scared, you might look like an easy target.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (Debbie and Curtis, 2 invisible), 50 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,062 Topics
462,318 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.