Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#91975 09/21/04 10:09 PM
OP Offline
We don't arrive until March but I'll need that much time to convince my wife to try snorkeling.Can anyone give me suggestions on how to get a non swimmer to try? Will the Rum help?

#91976 09/21/04 10:28 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
My husband is not a big water fan - but he went and was pretty amazed at the sights. He stayed in the water as long as he wanted to, then got back on the boat and sat out the rest - several others in the group did the same. He knows how to swim, but isn't a big fan, so he wore one of the lifevests provided by the boat. You don't need em - the water is incredibly salty, you float easily and have to so some work to get under it! Still, the vests are extra security. Tell your wife the sights of the coral and the colors of the fish are worth at least an attempt at five minutes in the water. If she really doesn't like it, she can hop back on the boat and be in charge of taking pictures and passing out drinks! She'll still have a good time - even watching from above the water there's lots to see. Happy trip!

#91977 09/21/04 11:40 PM
You've got enough time between now and March for your wife to take snorkelling lessons in the pool. That way she will be much more comfortable with the whole aspect, especially the part of breathing through her mouth and that tube. Sometimes that is the biggest detriment to someone enjoying their first snorkel trip. Other than that, lawcuci's post is right on.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#91978 09/22/04 01:01 AM
W
W
Hi, I'm a non swimmer But I love to snorkel ! It took me a couple of tries to get the knack of it. I agree with Seashell,a course might really be just the ticket.( maybe at your local YMCA?). I hope she tries it ,cuz it is awsome.

#91979 09/22/04 07:12 AM
C
C
You might want to try snorkeling around a pier to get her comfortable and used to the mask and snorkel. Just have her lie face down in the water and see how easy it is to float. A good mask that seals well will really help.

#91980 09/22/04 07:31 AM
The "One Barrel Rum" helps with everything! eek

#91981 09/22/04 07:54 AM
Hi, I'm also a non swimmer (well, I can kick around a little bit wink ) and I love snorkeling and am looking into diving (although I need the swimming skills to be on a little better level first). I'm pretty adventurous but I think the two things that helped me the most were: (1) being able to wade into the water instead of tumbling out of a boat. This allowed me to reach a comfort level with the water first. Being a non swimmer the thought of tumbling out of a boat right into the water was a little unnerving although I'm OK with it now. (2) There was a local guy along the beach that noticed, by my hesitant actions, that this was probably my first time snorkeling. He quickly jumped into the water and began swimming like a dolphin showing me that everything was OK. Little by little he and my hubby coaxed me into the water and before I knew it I looked up and was WAY out. I shrugged my shoulders and put my head back in the water. Having two really good swimmers on either side of me was a comfort. I knew that if I got into trouble they were there.

#91982 09/22/04 07:56 AM
C
C
The guides we went out with (Amigos del Mar, Seaduced)were great helping out new snorkelers and getting them comfortable with the equip and surroundings. They paid particular attention to anyone who was uneasy or having any kind of trouble. The best I have seen anywhere. They could spot a fogged mask from 100 yards away. The guides also towed a life ring behind them on a rope when snorkeling. They will tow you back to the boat if you have any trouble.

She will do fine, just get her out there and when she sees all the fun she is missing, she will be in there in a flash. Not to worry.

And yes, Rum helps everything. Never tried snorkeling without rum!
"Take another shot of courage......Eagles

#91983 09/22/04 08:10 AM
K
K
My daughter's first AC snorkeling trip was 5-6 years ago. Went to Shark-Ray Alley. She's a competitive swimmer, but when the guides started throwing bait at the snorklers to "heighten" the shark experience it scared the hell out of her. Took her a couyple of years to go back. The guide assoc. counsels it's operators not to do that, but... When you book, make it clear what you want and don't want. I'd recommend that first trip be north of town.

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
#91984 09/22/04 08:16 AM
Well I can't add any more than the wonderful advice from above so I will say that Snorkeling is WONDERFUL!!! She has GOT to try it - she will absolutely love it. Be sure to TELL the guide of her apprehensions before going out to make sure he will help with it.

When we were in SP in July hubby and I went out in a kayak by ourselves to snorkel. Unless you have muscles like a body builder DO NOT DO THIS!!!! Hubby was so winded he had to stay in the kayak the entire time. That left me to snorkel by myself which I didn't want to do. I was scared out of my witts to get into the water by myself. But the minute I looked under the water and remembered how much I love to snorkel I was fine. She has got to try it and I love lawcucui's idea - if she doesn't like snorkeling after trying it she can jump back into the boat and pass out drinks! BTW - I suggest Mexico Rocks for your first snorkeling trip. Have a Great Time!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 285 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.