Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
KC Offline OP
OP Offline
I know that a few have tried the Mosquito Magnet. I have done a search and read all comments, but they were old and inconclusive. (Some yeah, some nay). The price has come down considerably, and I'm wondering if anyone has experience they can update us on.

Also, does it do any good at all to spray the grounds of a home/resort? Seems to me that "the neighbor mosquitos" will pay visits... but if it helps at all, I'd do it!

Thanks for any and all input.

Kathy (love/hate relationship with mosquitos and no-see-ums... They love me/I hate them)

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
C
C
Seems like Susangg was into these and has some at her Panama house. She still has e-mail address in her profile. Might be worth a shot to sent her a note.

Myself, I would deal with them be clear-cutting and landscaping with rock and plants that provide little shelter and then if needed add spraying and traps. Some of those "jungle" type yards look great, but they have to be bug heaven...

S
S
Th SP Town Council spraying works very well... 100% effective in my neighborhood.

C
C
What are they spraying?

Worked real good in Savannah, GA too, until the birds, then the crabs, then the fish started dieing. Most of the spraying took place over the salt marshes so the ospreys, eagles and pelicans suffered terrible. Then the honey bees and the lightning bugs went next. Then before long, Savannah was rated one of the highest in the nation for strokes, cancer and heart attacks.

Yall be real careful what you spray. Poison is a very non selective killer that works up and down the entire food chain. DDT mixed with kerosene is popular with smaller countries, but now outlawed in the US. Terrible stuff in the long run.

I'm not trying to preach and I'm not an eco-nut, just relaying true, practical experience. I really enjoyed yalls birds and seafood......

C
C
One more comment Jesse, then I'll shut up.

Agent Orange was almost 100% effective, also.

I agree with you, I would be interested to know what it is they spray with too. We were on our way home last night and the truck passed us spraying. The smell is unbelievable and the spray surely landed on my family and I. It's hard to believe it is very good for us or the environment. I was just telling myself last night that I needed to check into it and see what it is, that and the water that is used to spray down our streets.

S
S
Salt water is used on the streets.

Answered my own question, the chemical used when spraying for mosquitos on the island is Malathion.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
We had the Mosquito magnets at Caribe Island for almost 2 years. They work OK to cut down the mosquitos, but we also spray.
The magnets are now at my house close to CIR and make it possible for my husband to play pool on his outdoor table. If you are going to get them, get as many replacement parts as you can.... we had some problems getting different parts from time to time.
Cheerz,
Vicki

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 289 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.