Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#92422 10/04/04 07:17 PM
Fluffy Offline OP
OP Offline
I just returned late last night from AC. This was my third trip this year. Returning again confirmed those feelings that I experienced on the 1st and 2nd trips. It felt like home.

Landed at Goldson and stopped at Jets Bar for the famous Rum Punch. Yummy! Just enough time for one and then off to AC via Tropic Air. The view from the two prop is awesome and as soon as it begins to take off over the ocean you can begin to feel the stress level drop. How beautiful the water is.

Landed on AC in no time. Got off the plane and hailed a taxi for the Exotic Caye Beach Resort. Now for many of you who read my posts, you all know how much I talk up this resort. But everyone has their preference and for me, this is the place. Checked in, dropped off my luggage, put on my suit and made a bee line for Crazy Canucks. Immediately ordered a Belikin and all was well. Met up with all the locals, including the expats, and my vacation began. You can typically find Roger, Jim, Peter, Rich, Cathy, Don and Carol, Jesse, Paul and Heather, Lacey, Ed and others between 4 and 6 p.m. This is happy hour time. Let me tell you, they are simply all wonderful. I feel very fortunate that I have been able to meet and establish some sort of friendship with each one of these individuals. If you are a newbie, you will not feel like a stranger. They all welcome you with open arms and smiles. You are never a stranger at Crazy Canucks. And the best bartenders in town, Christian and Rick.

I won't go into a day by day post, because quite honestly, time just seemed to meld together so I don't remember exactly on what day, I did what activity. So, I'll give you a summary.

Went to Coconuts on Saturday for a party for Marty from the board. Great fun! Dennis Wolfe was excellent and of course the Belikins were good, the tequila was flowing and somehow I made it back to my condo in the wee hours of the morning. Phew!!! I'm never drinking again (yeah, right).

Rented a golf cart and went north of the cut. This is my third trip down to AC but my first trip north of the cut. How fun. And ladies, hang on to your puppies because they will bounce. Quite a ride. We stopped at Belizien Shores for lunch and cocktail in the Laguana Grill (if you go, stop in and say hi to Premo) and then checked out their pool. Simply awesome is all I have to say. Very large, zero depth entry, pool bar (this was the best), and bar stools everywhere in the pool. Enjoyed it so much so, that we returned a 2nd time with Barbi and Jud from MI.

Went snorkeling, fishing and beach BBQ with Clinton from Ocean Adventures. Coming along this trip were Carla and Leon from Seattle,WA and Jud and Barbi from Traverse City, MI. Loads of fun, these couples were. The trip was alot of fun. Not many fish were caught but lots of Belikin was consumed and we did have plenty for lunch. Clinton did an awesome job on this trip. If you are considering an adventure of any kind, check out Clinton at Ocean Adventures.

Took a water taxi to Caye Caulker. Loads of fun. Stopped at the Tribal Herb for breakfast and Belikins then headed down to the Lazy Lizard to swim and drink more Belikins. Had lunch and more Belikins. Great chicken burrito. There was a Gibnut behind the bar. Funny little animal. Looks like a huge rat. The folks there said it was strange to see him out so early because they are nocturnal. Guess he was thirsty for a Belikin too.

Had the best dinner at El Divonos at Banana Beach. Steak and lobster. Pricey but well worth the money.

Places I ate at were BC's for the Sunday BBQ, simply wonderful, Pepperonis (awesome pizza), Alibaba's (rotissiere chicken), Estels (great breakfast burrito), Jades (great oriental food and lots of it), Ruby's (yummy Johnny cakes), Celia's (awesome cinnamon rolls), and Monkey Bites for the best cinnamon french toast I have ever had. As well, the street vendors at night for those late time munchies did the trick and was very cheap.

Have to stop and see Paul and Heather at Caye Coffee for the best darn coffee on the island. They roast and grind their coffee in their shop. It is located right next to the Sausage Factory. These two are wonderful. Their last name is Claus, with no "e", as Paul likes to tell you. But they are two of the most generous and friendly people I have met so I think there may be a relation to the big guy with a white beard.

Places I shopped: See Jim at Stoned Art; see Roger at (sorry, I forgot the name, but it is the Art Shop on Coconut Street) he does custom framing; always have to buy the local jewelry from the kids.

The weather was awesome, the food was tasty and the Belikins were cold. I can't wait to return. Am planning my next trip for January or February.

I stepped on the plane from Tropic Air on Sunday with tears rolling down my face. I know some of you may feel that this is a bit dramatic but I will miss this island and the people. It has captured my heart.

AC isn't for everyone but for those of us who have been captured by the simplicty of the island, the beauty of the ocean, and the friendliness of the people, it is a feeling that I have a difficult time describing. It will tug at you and you will return again, and again and again. Perhaps it can be chalked up in one or two words: Simple and Beauty.

Take care everyone and enjoy!

#92423 10/04/04 08:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Yea! Great Trip report - makes me want to head for the airport right now! We did sooo much and I can tell we still didn't get to it all. Next time! Thanks! smile

#92424 10/05/04 12:33 AM
H
H
WE ARE JUST SOAKING UP ALL THIS GREAT INFO. ITS GOING TO MAKE OUR TRIP TO AC ALL THAT MORE EXCITING. WE WILL BE CHECKING AT ALL THE GREAT PLACES TO EAT AND SUCH THAT YOU HAVE SUGGESTED. THANKS.

#92425 10/05/04 07:16 AM
Stoned Art? Where is it located now? We picked up some pieces in '00 when he was down in the marina, but failed to find him again in any subsequent trips.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
#92426 10/05/04 07:56 AM
Fluffy Offline OP
OP Offline
I don't recall but will find out for you.

#92427 10/05/04 08:24 AM
K
K
Hi Fluffy! I'll look forward to your pictures...keep in touch, Kathy

#92428 10/05/04 09:33 AM
another gringo hooked on sanpedro welcome to the club .. nice report..I fish here each month and love the fast pace action ,sorry you did not do so good that day ,,but the fishing here is great trust me we catch fish after fish.. try it again . but you did have fun ..so glad you got to live the dream and enjoy ..

Living The Dream Every Day!
#92429 10/05/04 10:27 AM
S
S
Stoned Art is on a back street just south of Island Supermarket. Best to look up Jim at Canucks Beach Bar every day after 3PM.

#92430 10/05/04 10:35 AM
H
H
Hello to all AC experts, While reading back over the last years chats I saw a reference to, turtle grass, and swimming not that great at the beach, although some resorts clear a section of their beach for swimming. Can you give us a better idea of the true picture on just a casual swimm at the beach? Also, we have infflatable kyacks so can we reach the reef from right off the beach? I've read that the reef is 1/2 mile to 2/3 a mile from the shoreline? My wife and I love snorkeling, but swimming is very important as well. Also, is there anywhere to body surf? Thanks, Moss & Bonnie

#92431 10/05/04 10:46 AM
Fluffy Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Jesse!!!! You are awesome. Tell everyone I said hi at Canucks. Miss you guys already.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 211 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.