Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#92847 - 10/19/04 08:16 PM Tropic Air, 25 Years of Service
Marty Offline
25 YEARS OF SERVICE IN AIR TRANSPORTATION

Tropic Air celebrates its 25 years of airline service in Belize. A special event takes place tomorrow morning in San Pedro Town, during which Tropic will being into service a new Cessna Caravan. This new caravan has state of the art radio and navigation equipment and a dual global positioning system GPS, as well as a special silver painted tail with its logo, in recognition of company’s 25 Anniversary. Tropic air began its operations in November of 1978 by John Greif the third. Over the years Tropic has grown into a major regional company serving 9 destinations throughout Belize and Guatemala. At 9 o’clock Wednesday morning, the media will be flown to San Pedro for a ceremony.

#92848 - 10/19/04 10:04 PM Re: Tropic Air, 25 Years of Service
gailtor Offline
HEY!!! Canada Post and Hotmail must have both been sleeping at the wheel, as I never got my invitation!!! :rolleyes:

Oh well, they will just have to have a separate party that includes my sister and I when we get there in Feb!!! cool

Gail

AND you would have thought that having a family connection at Tropic would have made all the difference.... gee

#92849 - 10/20/04 04:18 PM Re: Tropic Air, 25 Years of Service
Marty Offline
Tropic Air celebrates 25 years of service

Institutions are in short supply in Belize, particularly those that grow up in highly competitive, capital intensive businesses like the airline industry. Today, after twenty-five years of steady growth and solid service, San Pedro based Tropic Air can certainly lay claim to institutional status. News 5's Jacqueline Woods was on hand this morning as the airline showed off its newest acquisition.

Jacqueline Woods, Reporting
In the quarter century since its founding Tropic Air has grown tremendously. Today, the company serves nine destinations throughout Belize and Guatemala and conducts over a hundred flights a day. According to the company’s founder and president, John Grief the Third he is happy to see that what started out for him as a hobby has grown into a major business.

John Grief, III, Founder/President, Tropic Air
“I had absolutely no commercial interest in aviation and then when I got out of university and came home to live, it just kind of seem like the right thing to do at the right time. But even then, even envisioning it commercially, we had no idea it would last this long and go this far.”

To commemorate its silver anniversary, Tropic Air added another Cessna Caravan to its fleet, which now numbers seven. The company, which shares the skies with another local airline, says it welcomes the competition.

Johnny Grief III
“At the end of the day competition is good for everybody. Sometimes it’s a little hard to keep reminding myself of that because we do have a good strong competitor now. But like I
said I think it is good for the industry, it is good for the flying public and you know things have a way of seeking its own level and working out.”

But as Tropic Air continues to modernize its service it believes that more can be done to improve the industry in Belize.

Johnny Grief III
“Not to be too critical with government because they have been a big help to us but all the airlines in Belize are forced to adhere to first world standards and yet we land in a lot of cases, on third world airstrips. The government is doing what it can but it certainly, somebody needs to re evaluate maybe just how fast we can move and upgrade the airstrips countrywide.”

Tropic Air credits its success not only to public support, but good management and a dedicated staff of one hundred and eighty people. Employees like Michael Estell, who has been flying with the company for the past eighteen years and Aida Lucila Marin, who has been working with the company for two decades.

Aida Lucila Marin, Accounting Clerk, Tropic Air
“All these years working this company have been really enjoyable for me because everybody is together. We do everything together and everybody understands each other.”

Michael Estell, Pilot, Tropic Air
“I believe because we focus on the customers-- he passengers. You know, we try to get them where they want to go and when they want to go.”

So what is next for Tropic Air?

Johnny Grief III
“Private funds just put a man into space so in twenty-five years from now, this just might be the Tropic Air space terminal.”

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (QuestGirl, 1 invisible), 43 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,675 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,060 Topics
462,315 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.