Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9340 10/09/00 05:47 PM
Chris Offline OP
OP Offline
We're here! Coconet Internet Bar is on line..well done BTL.
We hope to have lots of folk in soon to email friends and family.

San Pedro in remarkably good shape...we can't say we're quite ready for tourism but it won't be long....2 weeks to a month for a good vacation.

CNN and the other networks didn't quite have it right....we're not even close to being down, let alone out!

Welcome back World!!

(I put this on the regular message board in error....sorry, didn't know there was a hurricane message board ...just got Internet link back)

#9341 10/09/00 05:49 PM
Chris Offline OP
OP Offline
...and sorry for the delay in responding...the link is still being tested by BTL techhies, so please expect up and down service for a while yet.
Certainly most of the damage is on the West side of the island, although not restricted to that area by any means. Most damaged roofs on hotels are being repaired. My house a gonner, but I didn't forget my insurance premium!

I think that many hotels will be ready for guests by the end of October. Hotels for sure ready as soon as they get power are:

Banana Beach Resort
Coconuts
Mayan Princess
Paradise Villas
Royal Palm Villas
Mata Rocks
Xanadu
Caribe Island Resort
Sunbreeze
Belizean Reef
Holiday Hotel

This list by no means complete, but I do believe all of the above hotels will be ready to rock and roll by month's end.

I believe that most other hotels will be up and running by Thanksgiving.

Elvi's kitchen suffered bad damage, but I know they will rebuild quickly

WASA water service has been restored to most of the island

Electricity on Front street is back, rest of island will follow soon. Order of march is Middle street, Back street and then roads North and South. Belize Electricity is running a huge rebuilding effort, so it won't be long.

Message to Travel Agents....don't write us off for season....we will have Paradise again very soon. Please don't neglect the rest of Belize...everything on the mainland and at Placentia is normal.

Message to Internet guests...if you are booked for San Pedro or Caye Caulker anytime after around the start of November you'll enjoy a great time. Don't cancel.

The reef is undamaged. Divers and snorkelers will still be able to enjoy the same pristine marine life as before.

Docks are 90% intact and the infrastructure for diving and snorkeling is much more intact than it was immediately following Mitch.

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited 10-09-2000).]

#9342 10/09/00 06:18 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Thank you for this 1st hand info.
The big question for several of us is BYC. Very little info on it has been available. I have 50 people scheduled there for Oct 28..trying to decide if we should come or not. Cannot change dates but could go to Roatan?
Appreciate any up-to-date info
Thanks

#9343 10/09/00 06:33 PM
C
C
Chris
What do you think the chances of me going forward with my wedding ? I have approximately 35 people coming to stay at the yacht club begining on oct 16.The wedding is at the church downtown.I work in Belize City and saw San Pedro last week.I am willing to live through whatever it takes just to get married in beloved San Pedro.If there is power food and water-I will be there.what do you think?

Chuck E.
#9344 10/09/00 06:35 PM
S
S
Hopefully, BYC will be up and running, but if it isn't, perhaps your group could be accommodated at Paradise Villas. Between the three people who manage PV condos (our manager is Nellie Gomez, there is also Tradewinds and Mary Hawthorne,) your group could probably be accommodated. I don't think any of them are accessible by email yet, but should be any day now, based on the above reports. Email: [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected] I am sure they could coordinate with one another and figure out where to put your large party.
My one bedroom is (as of right now) available the first half of November and the two bedroom through the morning of Nov. 7, I can't speak for anybody else. Don't know details of any damage to my particular units, but apparently none sustained serious damage and all will be ready by the end of the month.

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]
#9345 10/09/00 06:37 PM
S
S
Let me hasten to add that my message was responding to the fellow with the party of 49 coming on October 28. I have been told that the Paradise Villas condos will not be ready til the end of the month, so Oct 16 would not be feasible.

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]
#9346 10/09/00 06:45 PM
R
Red Offline
R
[Linked Image]

#9347 10/09/00 08:15 PM
Chris Offline OP
OP Offline
October 16th is a bit early as far as I can see for just about anywhere on Ambergris Caye. BUT! you could consider Placencia or the mainland for the wedding.

Regarding BYC.....quite a bit of roof damage, I can't see them getting up realistically until well into November. Please refer to the list of ready hotels at the start of this thread.

#9348 10/09/00 10:01 PM
Hey Chris,
Good to hear from you. I am one travel agent who is still plugging away to get clients to you all. And I know there are others as well - spoken to a few myself. The season will still be good I bet.
-Barb from Barb's Belize

#9349 10/09/00 10:06 PM
P
P
Chris,
Thaks for letting us know you are up and running. I need some comunication with my partners at the Hideaway. I flew home Friday and am at my sons the e-mail address is [email protected]. If you can get a message to them please ask them to let me know what they have found out.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. I am due back t the Hideaway in 14 days.
Thanks again'
Pat Woods

Pat Woods
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 338 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.