Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#93511 - 11/09/04 11:45 PM Snorkeling questions???
I've read a few posts on snorkeling, but the question I have is about wearing some protection from the sun and getting chilled after being in the water for some time. I have a shortie wet suit, very light and or a surf shirt light and tight! We will be in AC middle of Feb to the middle of March. What is water temp like at that time? I would prefer just to snorkle without extra garb. Any comments? Moss

#93512 - 11/10/04 04:46 AM Re: Snorkeling questions???
DJH Offline
Hi Holiday
We have been going every Feb for the last 14 years. My husband dose not usually get cold while snorkeling. I usually last 10 min and then I get cold. But sometimes not. I think it depends on how sunny and windy it is. And after my first time the back of my ears got very red so I put sunblock on them now. I suppose my back did to but it was the ears that really felt it. I have been told the water is somewhere in the 80s. But like I said when you are wet and it is windy it makes it a little chilly and maybe it is just a female thing.

#93513 - 11/10/04 05:33 AM Re: Snorkeling questions???
seashell Offline
I'm speaking here as a diver.

Water temp averages around 81 F. That sounds warm but once your core gets cool, well, it feels cool. I'd take the shorty if I were you. Rather have and not need it than the other way around. Also, you don't want to get sunburned. The other thing is that you can get cold up on the boat if there is a Norther blowing. It can be quite comfortable in the water, but gets darned cold in the boat going back to shore.

For myself, I have a big fleecy coverup that I often put on after getting back on the boat for the return trip to shore. I can't remember ever using it in March, but did in February. I use it more often than not, when there in December and January.
A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#93514 - 11/10/04 08:58 AM Re: Snorkeling questions???
Reckon on water then being 81F-84F. The sun is very intense here so you need good protection in the water - unless you know you're safe I'd wear something full length to protect the backs of your calves. If like me you're folically challenged you may also be advised to wear a hat as much as possible. Out of the water the main problem is the chill factor of the wind on a moving boat. A thin waterproof big enough to go comfortably over you and your suit will probably suffice. This is particularly true if you've done a night snorkel at Hol Chan, for the trip back. Only you know whether you're inclined to get cold easily, so only you can decide whether to wear anything "fleecy" - I don't, and I just dive in a lycra skin year-round.

#93515 - 11/10/04 02:19 PM Re: Snorkeling questions???
egcntrk Offline
Good thread...have a question on shorty wet suits. What mm do you divers recommend for a snorkeler for use in May? Loaded question, I know! :rolleyes: I'm tiny and chill quickly. Did ok on a 90 degree day with the sun shining but after 3 days of rain & going out on a cloudy day I had goose pimples within 30 min.

Because the suit will only be used once or twice a year I'd like to keep the cost at a minimum...$100 or less. Can you be specific on a brand, material type, front zip, back zip etc. Have no idea what to look at & all information will be greatly appreciated. Sleeves a must.

For the head gear, I found the do-rags from Isla Bonita Designs, on front street, to be excellent. Definately prevented the sunburned head.

#93516 - 11/10/04 07:29 PM Re: Snorkeling questions???
If you chill that quickly you might need something thicker than the 3mm I would have suggested. Perhaps a standard 3mm long suit with an additional body-warmer-style sleeveless jacket that can be worn over it. But the main thing with a suit is proper fit - water flushing and out will cool you in even a thick suit. If you're only going to have one suit I'd strongly suggest one with long sleeves and arms, and a rear zip allows less water past than a front one. There are lots of good makes, just choose one that looks well made and fits snugly all over. We sell Scubapro suits that last the course very well and aren't expensive. In general, though, beware of matching cost to the amount you intend to use it. When it's hanging in the closet it's of no interest to you, but when you're underwater wearing it you want it to do the job, however seldom that may be.

#93517 - 11/10/04 09:28 PM Re: Snorkeling questions???
seashell Offline
I don't know that he'd need more than a full 3 mm. Certainly more than a 1 mm though. Maybe a 1 mm beanie would keep him warmer a do-rag.

#93518 - 11/11/04 04:38 PM Re: Snorkeling questions???
egcntrk Offline
Wow! Thanks Pedro2 and Seashell. Had not even considered a full suit or jacket. Was concerned about the front vs. back zip issue...will look at back zips. Good point about hanging vs. actual use. The beanie is a thought.

Will a 5mm be too hot in sunny, 90 degree days?

Guess I'll hit the dive shops and start trying on suits!

#93519 - 11/11/04 06:49 PM Re: Snorkeling questions???
Sonrkelling in a 5mm will be very difficult unless you wear a weight belt. And yes, you could find it pretty hot. But what's right for one person may be completely wrong for another. I was thinking above more about diving, but for snorkelling I think Seashell's right - no need for the waistcoat over a 3mm suit. I would certainly go for long arms & legs, though.

#93520 - 11/12/04 07:07 AM Re: Snorkeling questions???
seashell Offline
I've had another thought too. Since he already has a short, maybe a full lycra suit underneath would be all he needs. Then when the water is warm enough, he doesn't need to wear it and on other days if the weather/water is really nice, he could wear just the lycra suit. That way he also doesn't end up with another bulky suit taking up space in his suitcase.

Some people swear by those fleece full suits but they always look like sleeper pajamas to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 40 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,638 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,734 Topics
461,300 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.