Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#93525 11/10/04 02:51 PM
OP Offline
I've been lurking here for quite a while -- great site by the way. My husband and I are planning a dive trip in June of '05 to celebrate our 20th anniversary. Ambergris Caye looks like a wonderful place to visit. We love laid back places and fun people. My question is, how good is the local diving? I keep hearing how great Turneffe, Lighthouse, etc. are, but not too much about the local dive sites. I also read on a scuba board where the local diving was just OK. Was thinking about booking a dive package with one of the hotels (Mata Rocks is looking good), but is it worth it, especially if the local diving is just "ok" and we might want to try sites which aren't "local."

Thanks for your help!

Beth

I see your handle is "luv2travl". How much do you "love to dive"? I think the local diving is good, and sometimes even great. Sure, it's not what is offered out at the Atolls, regardless I'm rarely disappointed. Sometimes it's the diver that makes the dive. If you are just rushing from formation to formation chasing after the DM's fins, then you may not enjoy some of the local sites so well. However, if you slow down, look around, smell the roses as it were, I think you'll find you are reasonably delighted.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
The local diving at AC can be excellent, and the coral formations (spur and groove) are fascinating. Large pelagics are harder to spot than in some less dived areas, but you still see them. I know lots of people who've done it all and don't bother with the atoll trips any more. Sure it's good diving, but what a price to pay (principally in time).

I've often enjoyed local dives more than some days out at Turneffe.

Such fun. One day, I was looking down into a canyon between two spurs and there saw a free swimming moray hold up and give way to a nurse shark. Looked just like a traffic stop. smile

Another day, I saw something waving a bit on the top of a very small pinnacle. I stopped to check it out and the motion was being made by the feelers of around 10 Pederson Cleaning Shrimp.

Another day, as we waited for some slower divers to descend, we saw settled into the sand just below us two extremely large remora. Their suckers were huge and looked like big moon boot prints. I had to wonder what large beastie they were waiting to tag a ride with.

And toronados of jacks, friendly turtles, numerous nurse sharks, flights of spotted eagle rays, fairy basslettes (such beauties of the sea), etc. etc. etc. Sigh.

OP Offline
Thanks -- you've both certainly put my mind at ease. We really aren't hard to please, especially since we've only been certified since 2001, with much to learn and much to discover ... was just a little concerned when I didn't see a lot of people commenting on the local diving.

Thanks again for the input.

Beth

I am amazed that "Seashell" can remember what diving in Belize is like!!!!!

Why wouldn't I remember? It's memorable and my brain is not so befuddled by drink that I can't tell how much time has or hasn't gone by, as some others here.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 306 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.