Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
OP Offline
I
Hi,

We're choosing a place to stay for half of our Belize trip (the other half being in the Cayo district), and we've already gotten a ton of great suggestions from this board for places that meet our criteria. Now, we'd like to weigh them against each other based on their beaches -- 1. How pretty of a shady place to sit the beaches have and 2. How much they support wading in from shore. (A easy hop off a small sea wall and/or a little sea grass is fine, but a prohibitive scale of either would be disappointing. Also, a stroll to the next beach over is fine for the wading part of the question, but not for the sitting in the shade part.)

So, if Consumer Reports ranked beaches on these terms, how would they compare:
--Corona del Mar
--Banana Beach
--Steve and Becky's (i.e., Ramon's beach)
--Blue Tang
--Sunbreeze
--Xanadu (Only rank this one if you've seen it this year, since they expanded their beach.)

I've read that Ramon's and Banana Beach are probably the best of this lot. Do any of the others rank with those? How do those two rank against each other? How do the other four rank against each other -- particularly Corona del Mar, which costs significantly less, and Xanadu, which has a look and reviews that appeal to me a lot?

Thanks!

--Stacey

S
S
My family enjoys the Mar de Tumbo beach every Sunday. We are on our way there now. Best beach on the island. One of the few naturally sloping beaches with a firm sand bottom, limited sea grass and nice (but small) waves. Very cool sand bar a short swim off shore.

The closest of the above listed properties; Banana Beach, about 100 yards south of Mar de Tumbo.

The beach at Ramon's (Steve & Becky's) is also decent. My wife bartends at Ramon's.

SIN

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
Mar de Tumbo is the best beach, at least south of the river channel, and Banana Beach is close by, though there's a low seawall right in front of Banana Beach.

Not sure what has changed at Xanadu's beach. It still has a seawall.

I wouldn't obsess about beaches that much. No beach area on the island is really world-class, and almost all are attractive at least to look at. You're going to find seagrass most everywhere, except where it's been removed. If you don't like what's right at your doorstep, you can stroll a little ways and find something you like better.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
G
G
banana beach was nice, but no cancun. Try "temptation island" way north for the nicest beach. It's about a half hour by golf cart

S
S
Mer de Tumbo is the best, hands down, ask any local resident, much better than north, and I work up north.

L
los Offline
L
Ok I hate to spoil the party, but my wife and I just got back from AC and we were very disappointed with the beaches at AC. We stayed at banana beach for 3 days and never put our toes in the water. The turtle grass was everywhere and the water was light green. The water was not appealing like the mexican coast, but we knew that going to AC. If banana beach is one of the better beaches on the island, I would hate to see the other ones. We still enjoyed AC, and we had a great time, with great food and people. Enjoy!

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I still think the best beach in the town area is in front of Ramon's. Beaches in general in SP are very poor, compared with many of the destinations we are trying to compete with. Sea grass is deliberately left by order of the Town Council, allegedly as a conservation measure. I had one guest who waded through it and was bitten by a hidden eel.

S
S
a little sea grass is fine, but a prohibitive scale of either would be disappointing. Also, a stroll to the next beach over is fine

Banana Beach.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
We stayed at Banana Beach in September. We had read they had one of the best beaches on the island and I think that is accurate. A few mornings I walked from there into town by way of the beaches. The area in front of BB seemed to have less grass than most, if not all, other places I saw. There is a small seawall directly in front of the hotel archway, but easy to step down into the water from either side of it. The beach was kept very clean, raked and trash picked up several times each day. I have seen a lot of much prettier beaches, the sand on San Pedro beaches is quite coarse, my guess is probably from all the coral, but not so coarse as to prevent walking barefoot, but for just lazing in a beach chair, the view from Banana Beach was great - plenty of palm trees if you want shade and plenty of sun if you're looking to tan. For swimming my choice was almost always one of the pools.

S
S
I'm with Lan. Don't go to AC expecting great beaches. Most of the shoreline near San Pedro is seawalled and the beaches, compared to Mexico, are not appealing. Having said that, if you enjoy eccentic people, a unique culture, perfect weather (at times), diving, great food, etc, this place is for you. A cart ride north of the cut may present the kind of beaches you are looking for.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 281 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.