Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#94685 - 12/23/04 09:15 AM Belizean Skiffs?
CrackerLarry Offline
Here is a question for local boat experts.

When we were in AC I was very impressed with the design and handling of the local boats. Excellent in rough water, capable of carrying a heavy load at good speed in a nasty chop and still provide a comfortable and dry ride, relatively speaking.

I've never seen a design anywhere else quite like them. They seem to be a cross between a Bahamian skiff, a New England dory and a Chesapeake workboat. All seemed to have about the same hull design no matter if she was 17 or 37 feet. Both pretty to look at and capable.

I build boats and airplanes as a hobby, just finished a plane and now need a new project. I would like to build a Belizean skiff.

Who builds these local boats? I assume they are not production boats, but one offs built in local yards? Does anyone know where I might buy a set of plans or line drawings that I could loft? What construction techniques are used? They appear to be glass over wood and not molded.

Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and Merry Christmas to all.

#94686 - 12/23/04 10:04 AM Re: Belizean Skiffs?
M-A Gaffney Offline
google Mexican panga

#94687 - 12/23/04 10:52 AM Re: Belizean Skiffs?
CrackerLarry Offline
Thanks. That helps, at least I know what they are called now :-)

#94688 - 12/23/04 11:09 AM Re: Belizean Skiffs?
Sir Isaac Newton Offline
A company in Belize, Bradley Boat Yard, builds a small skiff, but not what you may be inquiring about.

It sounds like what you are looking for is a Mexican skiff. The Mexicans have designed a great boat for all the reasons you listed plus a bunch more.

Most are build with foam and coated with fiberglass. Fiberglass coated plywood can be used for flooring and other additions.

Mimsa is a name of one of the manufacturers in Mexico.

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net

#94689 - 12/23/04 12:40 PM Re: Belizean Skiffs?
RobertE Offline

US distributors The beam is a little narrow for my taste but still a good low cost all around boat

#94690 - 12/23/04 02:58 PM Re: Belizean Skiffs?
CrackerLarry Offline
Thanks, SIN and Robert. The Mexican pangas are exactly what I was looking for. Once I knew what they were called I found several sources for plans, so my new Georgia/ Mexican Panga will soon be under construction.

I've always preferred a wider beam too, Robert, but I've never been in a boat that handled chop like the pangas. I bet they roll something fierce if you tried to drift fish in a sea, but they sure ride nice. Plus they are just a good looking boat. Can't have everything, that's why ya need more than one boat! Thanks again!

#94691 - 12/23/04 03:36 PM Re: Belizean Skiffs?
bywarren Offline
I think that is why so many boats have feminine names. It is hard to find one that will do everything you want done.

That is why a guy needs more than one. cool

#94692 - 12/23/04 04:06 PM Re: Belizean Skiffs?
Ernie B Offline
Thanks By, I knew there was a reason a man needed more than one, I just couldn' put my finger on it.
Gun Control is Hitting Your Target.

#94693 - 12/23/04 07:05 PM Re: Belizean Skiffs?
horse Offline
Its not a local skiff but you might check out a Penobscot 14 (by Arch Davis).I built one last year and its a great little boat.Will take the biggest waves and travels high in water.
Check it out. Horse

#94694 - 12/23/04 10:16 PM Re: Belizean Skiffs?
CrackerLarry Offline
Thanks Horse. I'm familiar with the Penobscot and Arch Davis. Excellent but I'm looking to build something around 24 feet.

Where ya been, By? Right as usual....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,632 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,698 Topics
461,211 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.