Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#95214 01/05/05 09:14 AM
B
OP Offline
B
OK, we're seriously considering Belize for our honeymoon from Aug. 21 to the end of the month. But as we're not die-hard beach-goers or die-hard hikers or die-hard sportsmen, I was wondering where in Belize is best to enjoy all of this in doses. We were looking into the Sundiver and the Victoria House. Great reviews online, but can anyone confirm their greatness? Better options for a reasonable price?

Remaining questions:
1. Will we get decked by hurricanes at that time of year?
2. What kind of shopping is there in downtown San Pedro?
3. How is the temperature and humidity at that time of year?

Any help you could give me is greatly appreciated it. So many beautiful places in the world, and I hear Belize is among the best. Hope that's where we end up.

#95215 01/05/05 12:07 PM
Belize is a small country, but it's a big country when you start traveling around it, and Ambergris Caye, nice as it is, is just one tiny part of it.

While they're both excellent in their ways, Victoria House and SunDiver are in two different categories of hotels. I'm not sure which category you're looking for.

Peak hurricane season isn't until September and October, but of course a storm is possible in late August (but statisically unlikely).

Expect very warm and humid conditions in August, but the breezes off the water (unless you hit a period of calm) keeps things fairly comfortable even in August. Think South Florida weather. Overall, I think August is a good time to come to Belize -- fewer tourists, lower prices, generally good water viz, not so windy as earlier in the year, and not as hot and dry inland, some rain but unless you're very unlucky plenty of sunshine, too.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#95216 01/05/05 07:03 PM
J
J
brettwurst, spent last thanksgiving on the cayes and had a ball!! belize is fairly sheltered from the 'canes and we had super weather. as they say you pay your money and you take your chances... but for my money it couldn't get any better. the crowds are less and the people are lovely, and the dream is just fab....go for it. I always say the weather is part of the vacation...it is what makes the memories....have a blast...john in denver

#95217 01/06/05 06:58 AM
Very little shopping.
Very Hot. Sit in the shade time of year.
I love Belize, but there are better places in Aug. to Honeymoon. IMHO

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
#95218 01/06/05 09:31 AM
S
S
I've been to AC several times during the summer months and it is HOT!!! Make sure you stay some place with a big pool to relax by and stay hydrated (drink plenty of panty rippers.) You'll have a wonderful time.

#95219 01/06/05 11:20 AM
B
OP Offline
B
So we're going to cook, eh? If I may ask, at what degree with the oven be set? Won't it be hot everywhere in and around the Caribbean in August?

Regarding hotels, according to Lan's site, Mata Chica is the highest rated hotel that we can afford on AC, but I've read so-so reviews on fodors.com. What about the Vic, Banana Beach, Banyan Bay, etc? All things considered, how would you guys rate them 1-4?

Also... could someone break down the various regions, using three or so words (i.e. beaches, shopping, windy)? That'd be grand. Thanks!

#95220 01/06/05 03:20 PM
beaches: don't expect Mexico

shopping: it's what you make of it

windy: hope for it wink

#95221 01/06/05 04:26 PM
We went late October early November.

Beaches: Not so good. Lots of trash on the North end. But as long as you know to expect it, it's not so bad.

Shopping: Agree with Eg. It's what you make of it. We left with 2 extra bags wink and could have shopped more.

Wind: Agree with Eg again. It can be BRUTAL without wind.

#95222 01/06/05 04:37 PM
Oh, so you had a no wind day, fuzzy? Soon as there is no breeze you begin to pray for one! laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 283 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.