Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Well fishing and food fans, here is the February report...

Fishing was so-so, lots of wind, rain, and bad conditions due to a full moon and a cold front. We froze our butts off for three days, a rarity in San Pedro as the weather is near perfect, 85/75. But this week we had lows of 54 at night, and only up to 65 to 70 daytime. Anyway, we did not fish for three days as it was not meant to be.

On day four we went out to the reef, south past Crab Island and got into big snapper from the get go, one after the other. Mutton, snapper, mangrove, and a few yellowtail. A good mix, all nice sized fish. This was a great day and we stopped fishing by 11:30am as we were tired and hungry. We headed home, but we did stop for some action as we passed over a spot where we saw 8 big cobia sunning themselves on the top. We stopped and cast a shad into the school and got a quick hook up. It broke off by the boat. It was in the 40-lb class. Too bad. But it won the battle that day. The school was spooked and went deep so we headed home. Just a wonderful morning was had by all.

Day five we also had the same clear skies, and warming temperatures, but we went to the back side of the lagoon in the cover of mangroves as wind was just howling, blowing 25-mph. Very tough fishing conditions. We did catch some snapper but not the amount or size as the day before. We always had action and also hooked and released few cudas again. We were back at the dock by 12 noon as it was lunchtime. Again, my second favorite thing.

Our last day fishing was about the same with lots of wind but nice temperatures. It made it a pleasant day on the water. We caught some nice sized snapper, and had the pleasure of seeing a big manatee in the shallows... a living the dream moment. We truly enjoyed watching the manatee feeding while keeping a safe distance. The three days we got out were fun, and action packed, but in no way was typical of the good to very good fishing we do here all the time. The cold rain and wind are so rare in February, and I am spoiled by my fishing adventures here as I go each month. All my fishing is booked with my buddy Steve from Coconet Internet Cafe in town, website fishingsanpedro.com. A very nice guy. For the record we used 12 to 15-lb test on spinning tackle with light ugly sticks and live sardines, with 2/0 to 3/0 hooks, some with wire leader, some days not. All had sinker or shot on, as the winds/weather were nasty. But better fishing days are comming.

My food report...

I am happy to say the food was just fabulous. We went to my usual places like Stain Glass Pub, had great lunches and some super dinners. Chappy, a great chef and San Pedro tradition, is helping Marie out there. So we got into some delicious dining. We had a wonderful dinner in Casa Picasso again. Chris and wife [CHEF] they have it all together. Again, do save room for dessert here. Carrumba was also great. We had lunch here again. This time we tried the shrimp burrito and again, very tasty and freshly made, yum yum yum. We had it with rice and beans and homemade potato salad. Try this dish here, you cannot go wrong. Enough food, big enough to share. The week was finished out by saving the best for last. Tried out Rojo Lounge and Restaurant, and boy I was glad I did. It is up north on the beach, next to Mata Chica Lodge on ten acres of tropical beachfront. I can now say we have another world class restaurant in Ambergris Caye. We went with my food crew, about 9 good eaters, Chris, Peter, yes Peter, Pedro 1 / Steve from Internet Cafe / Sharon from Banyan Bay, and RI BETH from the board, and the rest of my eating out team. We tried all of the food. It is served family style, we will call it caribbean/fusion, and has a little kick to it, just wonderful dining. Candles on the tables, fresh breeze, comfortable seats. We like to share dishes and this place is perfect to do that. We ordered lots of food like the hot crisp flat bread with hummas. The pork wontons / the glazed ribs with guava glazed sauce, all were out of sight. The stuffed grouper was, oh my God, a winner, as was the home made baked fresh pizza. It was wonderful. We ordered one with shrimp pesto on it wow, wow, wow! The pasta dishes, cashew chicken in peanut sauce were done
perfectly, as was the colcannon mashed potato side dish. It was done in a way so diffrent then I have ever experienced. We had lots of dishes, so a sampling was had. Family style was the way to go. Try to go there with others, and this will make your meal interesting and you will have a fun and exciting evening. The ending to a great meal was the desserts. They were homemade, and the key lime cheese cake was a winner, as well as the homemade ice cream. This is a dining must! It is next to Mata Chica on the grounds of Azul, a classy five-star small boutique resort. All dining is under a huge candlelit palapa, a true five-star gourmet dining adventure. Prices are fair... the bill came to about $50 US per person including wine, appetizers, main courses and dessert, and tax and tip. I think a meal like that in Manhattan would cost least $100 US per person, or more so well worth the trip up. And a real deal for the quality of food and wine. They also have very good staff, pleasant and not pushy, but they were there when you needed them. Plus the owners jeff he is the chef and vivian/hostess are just super nice. Do not miss this place, it will enhance your trip to Ambergris Caye. Take the island ferry by Fidos... plus you get half price on taxi if you say Rojo Resturant, roundtrip! Very nice trip up with the stars shining bright above you. Reservations are a must. I cannot wait to got back to this must place.

Again, another living the dream week spent in my favorite place on earth with some of the nicest people. Go live the dream, and enjoy!

Living The Dream Every Day!
OP Offline
clover tried to reach you but had no luck..

R
R
Hi Capt Jeff:

Super seeing you! Loved that dinner at Rojo.... we sure are good eaters. Great report as always.

Beth

OP Offline
RI beth how are you love..yes we had a fun evening out with good friends,this is a great place to dine..and more important we got to laugh ,and enjoy life all together..living the dream is cool...miss ya .

I lurked on the board for many years and have always thought it would be fun to go fishing with Capt Jeff. I have now decided that if I have my choice I would rather be part of his "food crew" for a week. Great reviews Capt Jeff. laugh laugh

OP Offline
beliklin bill ,my brother.you can do both,we start out at 6 am breakfast at estelles on the beach get on boat at 7 ,go to reef ,fish our butts off ,back at dock at 12 watch mate clean fish holding a cold brew.. 1 pm lunch ,chesseburgers and fries at stained glass pub ,back to condo for a dip in pool /relax time till 3pm then power nap time 3pm to4.30 or 5 ,get ready for happy hour.. start happy hour from 6 to 7 ,go to a dinner at 730 till 930 ,after dinner drinks till 10 or11 pm what have you ,go to sleep ..till 530am then do it all again ,and again ..Can you keep up the pace??? if so your onboard..welcome to my living the dream days...enjoy and have some fun ,life is good and belikin bill is the man,please come join us..........

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Wow, Capt - that's quite the schedule laugh
I always enjoy your reports - thanks for sharing smile

OP Offline
law we want you at our dinner table.you always sound like fun ,and thanks so much..have a great day...

go Cappy go!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
C
C
CAPN JEFF did you fish with live minows or what.., last time i was down there in july it was very hard to find big enough minows to use for bait.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.