Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#95765 - 01/12/05 09:09 AM Offshore Fishing
brewkettle Offline
I am looking for a good Captain and/or someone to split one or more DEEP SEA FISHING trips with. I understand Capt. Bicho is great for inside the reef. But I am talking BIG fish outside the reef, wahoo, mahi, sails and most of all marlin (Stripe,White or Blue). My wife and I will be in AC 2/27/05-3/6/05. I have gotten some great reef and flats info but the offshore threads have been sketchy.

#95766 - 01/12/05 10:22 AM Re: Offshore Fishing
Over the years I've heard mixed, and not very encouraging reports of fishing outside the reef. Been tempted to try it several times but decided against it. On most days if you put the binocs on the water outside the reef you'll get the picture. It is usually damn rough and you'll need at least a 40' sportfisher in my opinion. Not many, if any of those hanging around San Pedro.

We'll be there at the same time. If someone has a diiferent take on this I probably would be in. Even a bad day of fishing is pretty damn good.

#95767 - 01/12/05 11:31 AM Re: Offshore Fishing
ChrisW Offline
I would do a internet search for Belize Fishing Tournaments to get a rough idea of what the offshore fishing is like and even about what boat/captain would be the good.

From what I have read, it seems like you would need to plan on several days of fishing if you are serious about trying to catching a Marlin. Even then the odds are so-so at best. For example there was a 1 day tournament in 2004 with 24 boats that caught 0 marlin. Best catch was a 43lb sailfish. On the "bright" side there was a 1 day tournament in 2000 that had 18 boats and caught 4 marlin.

#95768 - 01/12/05 11:38 AM Re: Offshore Fishing
captjeff Offline
again what choochoo said is corect,the offshore fishing here is not the best ..you need to go a ways to get into fish to far to travel in one day ...also a big boat charter from sanpedro may be a waste of time ????.if you get a sail or marlin ,from here you one of the few you did!!! they do get them but not many ????.what happens people like to charter a big boat for the show and big boat feel. they take you out boat ride and they troll ,you get a few cuda's maybe a small tuna ,but the juice would not be worth the squeeze .save your money go with some one of the local sanpedro guides that will give you a great day of action fishing ....you can still troll the reef like above but also have the option to ,fish the reef and catch fish after fish.a wonderful day out on the calm sanpedro water .I go fishing here each month here and love it.. the sanpedro people are super,nice they give great service you have lots of fun. did not mean to bust your bubble just tell you my point of view. whatever you do go have fun ..all the best to you ,and tight lines and good fishing ..go live your dream and enjoy..
Living The Dream Every Day!

#95769 - 01/12/05 12:43 PM Re: Offshore Fishing
tincup Offline
Contact Gilbert "HillyBoo" Lara at Freedom Tours. He has a 32' sportfishing boat w/head. He provides lunch on full days and can take out up to 5 or 6 people. Half day is $375 US, full day $600 US.
He also does reef fishing; half day $175, full day $250 for up to 4 people. Any trip can be customized to include snorkeling stops and/or beach barbeque. You can reach him at 011-501-600-8749 or email him at hillyboo1991@yahoo.com
I have had great experiences with deep sea fishing off AC the few times I've tried it. Caught large kingfish and dorado, but no marlin or sailfish yet.
Water can be very rough outside the reef so be sure to take your dramamine or bonine.

#95770 - 01/12/05 05:28 PM Re: Offshore Fishing
TIMO Offline
I would agree with most of what's been said already, and add a few points. I have spent a fair amount of time fishing around AC, and have fished the "blue" at least two or three times every trip. Weather is the main issue, and when it is reasonably calm we head over the reef. We do a combination of deep bottom fishing(100 ft.+), and trolling. On the bottom you can get into huge snappers,groupers,jacks,'cudas, and sharks. While trolling we've caught more 'cudas, wahoo, kings, tuna, and dorado. Others in our group have caught pompano,amber jacks, and even a couple of sailfish over the years. Obviously the numbers will never be as big outside as they will be inside, but we've had our days. Just depends on what your into. Back to the original question, no this is not the place for billfish but it is possible,and you have alot of different options to guarantee you with plenty of action.

p.s.brewkettle, I'll be down to AC in about 3 wks.and if you want more info e-mail me at anderrein@aol.com. good fishing!!

#95771 - 01/13/05 08:21 AM Re: Offshore Fishing
brewkettle Offline
Who do you fish with? Your trips sound more to my liking. When we were there in '90, the fishing inside was awsome, Cubera Snapper(60lb), a Greater Barracuda in the same class, a 200lb+ Jewfish (now goliath grouper in the states)and picking up conch while snorkeling for lunch. The pics online don't portray that kind of action inside anymore. I think some trips outside will do the trick.

#95772 - 01/13/05 04:25 PM Re: Offshore Fishing
captjeff Offline
not to steal timo's thunder it is not so any more ,having been fishing here two years and know most captains ,and have not seen that very often 15 years ago it was much differant.so I hear,from my buddy capt bicho fishingsanpedro.com who I fish with ..and my coffee group all captains who have lived here since the forties and fifties and we drink coffee together in rubys at 6 in am and I chit chat fishing with each month.. they could right a book ..

#95773 - 01/13/05 09:42 PM Re: Offshore Fishing
TIMO Offline
capt. jeff, what exactly do you mean "not so any more"?? have you ever been fishing with me, or seen my catch at the end of the day? we both know the answer, and if your interested i could send pics, as i have boxes full. you have a good guide and that is great,but don't disparage others guides or reports. i've been fishing the AC area for 12 yrs.,and have been fishing everywhere from rocky pt. to long caye and everywhere in between. if you would like to engage in a P---ING match i'll be glad to oblige you. i don't believe i've ever said anything negative towards you or your guide or any others for that matter. maybe fishing is'nt as good as the good old days, but we weren't there and therefore we won't ever know. what i do know is that i've always had great fishing,and don't mind sharing with others. you and i like diferent types of fishing and thats fine,and i've tried them all,but don't demean other types of fishing because it is not your bag. fish and let fish. TIMO

#95774 - 01/14/05 12:29 PM Re: Offshore Fishing
captjeff Offline
timo,my post was mearly stating the fishing 15 years ago is not the same ,and it is not as good as it was years ago ..this is what i said .i also said this was told to me by a bunch of guides that have lived here all there life. I am a gringo who has only been comming here two years. and this was the topic of conversation by local fisherman that I hang with in the morninig for coffee and they haved shared that fact with me .did not say anything about your guide or ones fishing skills. as stated above .. i also love fishing and did not try knock you or any body you know?? and would love to fish with you . but why would you think I ment you disrespect. and yes I also catch fish ,but just not caught 200 lb jew fish ,or 60 lb cubera ,snapper here ??. and if you do i am missing out on a good thing.I hope that clears up the matter as you sound like a guy I would like!!! good fishing to you ,and enjoy..

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Marty, 1 invisible), 45 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,718 Topics
461,260 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.