Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#9585 10/10/00 01:33 PM
K
Kim S Offline OP
OP Offline
K
There is very much conflicting information on the board at this time. One person says everything will be O.K. in a couple weeks. Then some one else says don't come for at least 30 days or more. One poster even indicated that disease would be rampant for the next few weeks. I am set to arrive Nov. 3rd, my tour operator says all will be O.K. I don't want to put my family at risk, but don't want deprive San Pedro of much needed revenue either. Any concrete information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

#9586 10/10/00 01:51 PM
Kim,
Where are you booked to stay....and what were your plans as far as activities?
We now have power, water and phone. Much of the debris has been cleared. The north and south ends are still pretty bad but they are working hard to get things ready for tourist season in November.

If you will be staying in town....things should be pretty good. some places were hit harder than others.

Let me know and I'll try to find out something definate for you.

Tammy

#9587 10/10/00 01:59 PM
K
Kim S Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I am suppose to stay at Paradise Villas and would like to dive with Hustler Tours or Amigos Del Mar. Thank you Tammy, any thing you can find ouy would be great. Also if I come, is there anything I could bring along that would be helpful for people at that time?

#9588 10/10/00 02:00 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Maybe I read her question wrong, but I think her main concern is about DESEASES and she is concerned for her family.
Seems like a VERY VALID question.
Are deseases going to be(are)rampant?
CDC should have posted something somewhere on this issue.
Have they?
Peace. June

#9589 10/10/00 02:13 PM
NO DISEASES ARE RAMPANT-
man calm down people. conditions are such that it is wise to take precautions. no more, no less.

READ BEFORE YOU START WRITING PANICKY STATEMENTS. Just take a minute, this is posted elsewhere. Dont' just freak out and start writing godawful stuff or i will crank up my purger.

BE RESPONSIBLE. DON'T SHOUT RUMORS FROM THE TALLEST COCONUT TREE

=================

My wife remembers Hurricane Janet hitting Corozal in 1955. The stench of
the "rotting" mud left everywhere after the hurricane passed was
terrible
and they thought it only could be due to rotting bodies. It smelled just
like dead and rotting meat -- a decomposing corpse.

But no, it was simply decaying mud.

I believe that people are experiencing this same sensation at this time
in
San Pedro.

Hurricane Keith pushes a lot of lagoon bottom mud up onto land. This mud
is
very rich in microscopic life forms. The decaying of these life forms
smell
as they should -- dead meat rotting.

It is reasonable to assume that the people in and around this area at
present believe this "stench" is due to human corpses. Though it is
always
possible that corpses of animals and humans may be buried and decaying
--
we have no missing people reports to substantiate this.

Therefore I feel it is reasonable to assume there is not corpses rotting
in
this mud -- simply microscopic animals -- as always occurs under these
circumstances.

Peter Singfield

[This message has been edited by Marty (edited 10-12-2000).]

#9590 10/10/00 02:22 PM
R
R

#9591 10/10/00 02:52 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Does anyone know if the CDC HAS posted information on this board/in the city/at tourist sites/etc.? If they HAVE NOT put out a bulletin on deseases in the aftermath of hurricane Keith, then you should get in touch with them if you still have concerns. Any concerns for the welfare of ones family is always valid. If CDC says there is nothing to be concerned about, you can believe them ! Peace. June

#9592 10/10/00 03:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Celeste seems to know more about diseases, mosquitoes and ceptic streets since she is the one who first brought it up....LOL. ASK HER!!!!!!

#9593 10/10/00 03:44 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
you tell em Marty, Go man Go. People freak out no doubt.

#9594 10/10/00 04:02 PM
C
C
I think that all of you sarcastic people should go there. I have a five year old son and was told by Dr. Lerida Rodriguez, my good friend and neighbor that these conditions create an atmosphere for disease (she used the word "epidemic"). She referred me to what happened in Honduras and Guatemala in the aftermath of Hurricane Mitch. Do you know Lerida? is she a sensationalist? She has worked thru this whole thing helping patients at her own expense.

Most people who know me would say I'm a no nonsense, down to earth kind of person. I don't have high maintenance hair or makeup and have no interest in pulling a fire alarm in a crowded theater.

So, LJ, Kim, all you people who think I'm warning without cause; please - book your flight today. By the way, how long have you lived in San Pedro? Do you rely on tourism dollars to feed your family? I do. Yesterday morning, I counted almost 60 mosquito bites on my son (he is allergic to them, by the way) and this was in a closed room with 2 mosquito coils going and bug repellant on.

You're starting to [#%!] me off by insinuating that I am imagining the conditions in San Pedro. I have a right to help inform those who are interested. Until you can prove i'm lying, shut up.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 379 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.