Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#95882 01/15/05 08:10 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I am told that this project has been approved at all levels of government and is now certain to proceed, I believe on Turneffe. It involves dolphins held permanently captive in a pen so that humans can pay (handsomely, I'm sure) to swim with them. It will be a great moneyspinner for the lady behind it, though I believe it is being presented as having some ecological/ conservation role. The dolphins will apparently have been bred in captivity.

I can't help wondering what the late husband of the lady behind this scheme would have said about it. I can't think of any suitable words - perhaps others may be more eloquent.

M
M
The "foundation" is a farcical means to exploit dolphins and people in an effort to bring in major moolah for the misguided or perhaps greedy evil woman. How she can sleep at night evades me. I'll be no friend to this project and will disuade as many people as possible from visiting the bastion of misery. Who wants to visit a place knowing that healthy intelligent animals are held captive against their will in a pen? The Government of Belize should be ashamed of itself for approving this project.

I've never supported these projects in any country! I prefer seeing the dolphins in the wild, which I have on 2 different occasions. Your right it is nothing but a money maker for the people behind it, I feel sorry for the dolphins involved in these projects. How would humans feel if they were exploited this way?
Coco

Coco
S
S
Well.........why....then is the "World Famous" chicken drop ok?

It's ok to exploit chickens for entertainment reasons?

Is anyone familiar with Anthony's Caye in the Bay Islands? Dolpins in open water.

Roatan Institute for Marine Sciences

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I've swum (dived) with dolphins in the wild and it's a magical experience. Their intelligence is beyond doubt, and they seem consistently well disposed to man. A shame that man doesn't reciprocate.

M
M
Just don't fence them in. Dolphins have interacted with humans for thousands of years in good faith. They are intelligent and need to be free. SIN I am familiar with A's Caye in the Bays. Leave the animals to their own choosing, the better the rest of the ecosystem.

I was swimming with wild dolphins last week. It is a magical experience, as Pedro2 said. They were as close to me as the screen on my computer and all of their own initiative. The idea of bringing these animals into some sort of captivity or training environment is repugnant to me.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

It's sad to see the organisors of this project and those who approved it taking Belize backwards in the world of eco tourism rather than forwards. It is probable that the dolphins they acquire will already have been moved from pillar to post as a result of failed commercial ventures. Sadly that is what tends to happen to captive dolphins. While it is much better for captive dolphins to participate in training as a form of mental stimulation and while I am sure that somewhere in the commercial plans for this operation there have been good intentions, it would have shown far more foresight, intelligence and sensitivity to have done something radical and different with this project. These dolphins can't be released if they are captive, but a sanctuary where they could be observed and researched and where people could watch them from observation areas without interfering with them, stressing them or putting them at risk of disease would have been fantastic. Even ecotourists would be interested in seeing something like that if the priority were to teach marine conservation. My prediction is that due to the fact that more and more tourists are eco aware and careful where they spend their money, it will go bust and the dolphins will once again be made homeless and moved somewhere else. As SIN says, there is a lot of thoughtless cruelty towards animals going on every day but because chickens, pigs, cows etc don't have a cute little smile, they are less worthy of our sentiment. I am not a bunny hugger or anything like that. I had a great rare rib eye last night. But it came from a farm where I know the welfare of the animals is paramount. I try to be as consistant with my values in regard to animal welfare as possible. People who are hypocritical and only come out to save the animals they think are cute and smart but happily commercially exploit other animals without a thought to their welfare give a whole lot of ammunition to the other side through their hypocrisy. This ammunition is exactly why places like this are allowed to be developed.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

Haven't been to the Chicken Drop either!
Coco

Coco
No matter what my personal feelings are with regards to swimming with Dolphins in captivity (I am against it) I do know the lady behind it personally and cannot sit by and have her reffered to as a evil woman etc.

Anybody that knows her personally will tell you she is a very nice person and while this particular project is controversial that does not make her an evil person she has done tremendous good prior to this and while this is extremely controversial in my opinion I always knew it would be approved.

Sad but a reality of the route Belize has chosen to proceed with its development.

Gaz Cooper

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 314 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.