Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#96051 - 01/18/05 09:14 PM Phone cards to the USA (New Jersey)
dstaubach Offline
First time poster. Great message board!!!

I will be visiting San Pedro in March for a veterinary conference. I will be leaving my wife and 6 year old twins for the first time. What kind of phone card may I use in San Pedro and are some more econominal than others? Thank you for your help.

Dave

#96052 - 01/18/05 09:30 PM Re: Phone cards to the USA (New Jersey)
Wyoming Carla Offline
It was my experience that the one I bought in the states didn't work....wait till ya get there and buy one.

#96053 - 01/18/05 09:54 PM Re: Phone cards to the USA (New Jersey)
toad Offline
amen to that....i bought a handful at dfw and couldn't use a single one....if you are going thru an airport and see someone urinating on one of those machines, don't be alarmed just warned....

#96054 - 01/18/05 10:00 PM Re: Phone cards to the USA (New Jersey)
atomicindy Offline
I bought an MCI calling card at Costco and it worked just fine. The cost was $1.50 per minute. One other option is to use one of the internet stores on the island that offer phone service. I think they charge around $1.50 a minute also.

#96055 - 01/18/05 10:21 PM Re: Phone cards to the USA (New Jersey)
SnorkelG Offline
I was looking to but a phone card from a website I found sppedypin.com. I haven't tried it yet. has anyone tried this card. It appears they sell an MCI world traveler phone card with a rate of 68 cents/minute from Belize to USA. http://speedypin.com/phone/cards?originationcountry=Belize&destinationcountry=USA+-+Continental

#96056 - 01/18/05 10:49 PM Re: Phone cards to the USA (New Jersey)
CHOOCHOO Offline
The easiest way is to go into one of several internet cafes in SP. Most, if not all, by now have the protocol that allows clear long distance calls to the States. You give them the number, they dial it, and hand you a cordless phone and you are good to go. The price has been dropping in the last year and it seems that it is somewhere between .60 and .75 US per minute. This works, therefore a far better option than a calling card that may or may not.

#96057 - 01/19/05 12:20 AM Re: Phone cards to the USA (New Jersey)
Wyoming Carla Offline
Yepper...internet cafe is a way good way to go...plus you can either have a cup of coffee or a panty ripper while you are talking! Depending on the time of day, or your attitude!

#96058 - 01/19/05 01:48 AM Re: Phone cards to the USA (New Jersey)
mvaug45 Offline
Question about the internet Cafes, are any of them wireless? I have a IP phone that would work mighty nice.

#96059 - 01/19/05 03:51 AM Re: Phone cards to the USA (New Jersey)
Pedro1 Offline
For those in town Coconet internet Cafe and for those south Island Internet both 50 us cents per minute-both have liquour licences

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (dabunk, IGAmel), 45 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,075 Topics
462,351 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.