Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#96162 - 01/20/05 09:37 PM Departure tax for tourists
Chris Offline
When did it go up? Is it up to $50.00US or $100.00US now?

Also, any truth in the rumour that there will now also be an ENTRY fee?

Is there any truth in the rumour that the present Government of Belize is trying to sink overnight tourism with their "tax the tourist" policies?

#96163 - 01/20/05 09:53 PM Re: Departure tax for tourists
SuzyQ Offline
Just got back today from the most fantastic trip I have had in years and the departure tax was $37.50 US. We flew American and it was included in the ticket. If there was an entry fee, it was also in the ticket but I don't think there was. You must pay the $37.50 if you leave the country to visit Mexico or Guadamala. We did. There was no fee to re-enter Belize.

#96164 - 01/21/05 12:32 AM Re: Departure tax for tourists
birdie Offline
SuzyQ, Any problems at the Airport? or Belize City?

#96165 - 01/21/05 09:26 AM Re: Departure tax for tourists
SuzyQ Offline
We had no problems anywhere! Our cab driver was listening to the Prime Minister talk and explaining to us what was happening as far as the people being upset with the raise in taxes. But he treated us like we were family telling us stories about his fishing in the Belize River. At the airport, we breezed through customs, no problems. I was really surprized to read about the strikes yesterday. I hope it passes quickly. We found the natives of Belize to be beautiful people, hospitable, and friendly. I can't wait to go back.

#96166 - 01/21/05 10:06 AM Re: Departure tax for tourists
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
The US$50 fee is the renewal fee (per month) if visitors want to extend their tourist card after 30 days.

Exit tax by international air is US$35 or US$18.75 by land. By water you just pay the conservation fee US$3.75. Air exit taxes are now included in most international air tickets so tourists don't really squeal about the pinch, since there are so many air fees and taxes, especially from the U.S.

There's no entrance fee, except if you need a visa (citizens of the U.S., Canada, U.K., EU and most Caricom countries don't need a visa). Visitors from Thailand, Sri Lanka, the People's Republic of Chin, Indian and a few other countries pay a whopping US$2,000 fee for a single-entry visa! I don't understand that.

--Lan Sluder
Lan Sluder/Belize First

#96167 - 01/21/05 12:29 PM Re: Departure tax for tourists
Kra-Z-K Offline
if you take Continental, it is included now in the ticket.

#96168 - 01/21/05 12:46 PM Re: Departure tax for tourists
Chris Offline
Thanks for the update Lan.

#96169 - 01/21/05 08:20 PM Re: Departure tax for tourists
Tiona Luster Offline
Hey suzyQ.....Greetings from Colchester, Connecticut. Back in time for the Big storm heading our way. I have a question for you. I am flying American Airlines to Belize on February 20th and they informed me that the departure tax is NOT included in my ticket price. I am traveling in coach and I was wondering if that is how you traveled?

#96170 - 01/21/05 09:04 PM Re: Departure tax for tourists
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
I wouldn't necessarily believe what the AA rep told you. They're only human, and airline employees are superstressed now due to the problems in the industry.

Most airline tickets to Belize now do include the exit fee in the ticket. I know US Air does, CO does and I believe AA does. Not sure about Delta or TACA. Not all, but most. If you look at your ticket and see that there is US$70 to $90 or so in fees and taxes over the base fare it probably is included. If it is not, you'll have to pay it in cash (Belize dollars or U.S. dollars) at the airport. The desk agent at the international airport will tell you.

--Lan Sluder
Lan Sluder/Belize First

#96171 - 01/22/05 01:43 PM Re: Departure tax for tourists
Barbara K Offline
AA includes it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 48 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,638 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,734 Topics
461,302 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.