Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#96813 - 01/31/05 10:27 AM Boca del Rio
mitt Offline
I'm planning a trip for 6 to Ambergris Caye and am looking at housing options either 1/2 mile north of or 300 yards south of Boca del Rio. Recommendations? Any significant advantages to either?

#96814 - 01/31/05 11:00 AM Re: Boca del Rio
seashell Offline
Well, you didn't tell us which places in particular, but I'll say this: I do like the Boca del Rio area.
A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#96815 - 01/31/05 11:14 AM Re: Boca del Rio
mitt Offline
Let me add:
By Boca del Rio, I mean that narrow water-way with the hand-pulled ferry. (1st time for us to go there)
I'm really trying to decide if getting into town daily will be convenient(and not too expensive) if we stay just north of that 'ferry' (I'm guessing it will be a little noisier just south of that ferry).
S: http://www.ambergriscaye.com/casacaracol/index.html
N: http://www.cayemanagement.com/north14.html
Thanks for any info.

#96816 - 01/31/05 12:50 PM Re: Boca del Rio
dolphin Offline
The ferry operates 24 hours. Using a golfcart gets expensive at $5bz each way. It is supposed to be free for bikes and pedestrains, but I hear they are charging tourists $1bz. From 4 to 6pm is rush hour and avoid that time.
Plan to visit the Hammock House Bar and Restaurant located on the river on Sunday late afternoon.
Of your selections, I would take the one North, but I like privacy and a peaceful beach with no traffic.

#96817 - 01/31/05 09:35 PM Re: Boca del Rio
kippe Offline
Small correction: the ferry is free for walkers/bikers during the day, however it costs $10 to bring your cart across after 8PM and a dollar for the cartless. Contact Caye Management for houses/apartments for rent in the Boca del Rio area. There are several great houses/apartments to rent. As far as noise goes, Boca del Rio is generally very quiet, it is a toss-up, will be great either way, North or South of the ferry!

#96818 - 01/31/05 09:59 PM Re: Boca del Rio
indygal Offline
Casa Caracol is south of the ferry. That is on the town side of the cut. Easy walk to town. Grocery and Papi's are real close. North of the cut has never interested me, as I like to go to town every day. Enjoy!
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

#96819 - 01/31/05 10:36 PM Re: Boca del Rio
silkpainter Offline
Paying $10 to cross on the ferry every time I wanted to go into town would make staying in the north lose its appeal (to me at least) real fast. Don't even get me started on whinning about that road north of the cut either. Last time I was over there it gave me a nose bleed, and I'm not joking, from the whiplash action of dodging potholes. I can see why most people access the north by boat.
-Lee Vanderwalker-Alamina

#96820 - 02/01/05 08:02 AM Re: Boca del Rio
BrianH Offline
I remember having to pay around a dollar to use the ferry for a bike during the day. Is this a recent change that it is now free for bikers and walkers?

#96821 - 02/01/05 07:08 PM Re: Boca del Rio
HavinFun Offline
We were there at Christmas and stayed north of the cut. The cost for the ferry was never the same. Always after 8 pm we were charged 5 blz to go across in a cart. We were charged on Christmas during the day, but for only one way. Some days we weren't charged at all during the day to go back and forth across the ferry and some days were charged one way. The signs on either side of the cut stipulate that all charges are for after 8 pm. We just paid when we were asked, which was not often, and felt like we were getting away with something when we didn't have to pay.
We stayed a little south of Casa Teritsa and I have to tell you when we walked by we had to peek in the windows - it was beautiful, nice big lot with lots of palm trees and it's own pier. It was in a section of really nice houses. If you are looking for serenity I would recommend there, however if you are into the bar and late night stuff you may want to stay in town.
Time flys - have fun!

#96822 - 02/01/05 07:14 PM Re: Boca del Rio
klcman Offline
if you paid both ways, you really were getting ripped off.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,637 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,729 Topics
461,287 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.