Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#96981 - 02/04/05 09:46 PM GPS Maps
jswingchun Offline
Anyone know if there are any GPS maps available anywhere that can be loaded onto a Magellan handheld GPS? I have Googled around quite a bit and have not been able to find anything. My GPS has a very crude Belize map, basically the outline of the country and the capital. I would love to have one with all the towns, roads and cayes.

#96982 - 02/06/05 01:35 AM Re: GPS Maps
Anonymous
I've got a Garmin and couldn't find anything more than you've got. I don't think anyone's done it. On mine the "coast" is actually wide of the mark, and walking down the beach it can be a shock to see that your GPS puts you a mile out to sea!

#96983 - 02/06/05 02:52 AM Re: GPS Maps
dexte@ Offline

#96984 - 02/06/05 04:14 AM Re: GPS Maps
Xoc Offline
Hi! Go to my web site in my profile, head to the contact form and email my guy. We've taken our Magellan on all our trips. He's also grabbed a bunch of stuff from the military and has included that on our maps. If you go to the district pages, you'll see GPS waypoints in a lot of the info boxes as well.

We've never made it to any of the geocaching spots though...

#96985 - 02/07/05 02:22 AM Re: GPS Maps
dexte@ Offline
In AC except for town there is 1 road....if you get lost south you are at the dump....if you get lost north your butt will hurt....correction...it will hurt even if you dont get lost

#96986 - 02/07/05 08:40 PM Re: GPS Maps
jswingchun Offline
I ended up finding the LAT/LONG for a bunch of the mainland places I want to go. I added waypoints to my GPS. I was hoping for some detailed maps, but apparently they don't exist. Thanks all for the assistance.

Pedro2 - My Magellan is the same way. The coastline is simplified and puts Belize City a couple miles out to sea!

#96987 - 02/07/05 10:17 PM Re: GPS Maps
SimonB Offline
The problem with GPS here starts back in the 20's, the charts were plotted in error and have been copied in error ever since. The LATS and LONGS are out in some cases by a mile. The GPS systems do seem to be getting more accurate as time goes by which means the programmers must be getting updated information from somewhere. Until a complete re-chart of Belize is done using satellite radar imagery it's unlikely that we will see truly accurate charts, on paper or electronic.

#96988 - 02/07/05 11:48 PM Re: GPS Maps
klcman Offline
mebbe ya need to buy Emory King's Driving Guide to Belize (it's a hoot)

#96989 - 02/08/05 07:40 PM Re: GPS Maps
jswingchun Offline
That Driving Guide does look interesting. I found it on Emory King's website. Is it widely available in BZ? I don't think I could order one and get it here before we leave.

#96990 - 02/09/05 12:36 AM Re: GPS Maps
klcman Offline
That reminds me - a few years ago, I called Emory up one day, he wasn't in ( shocker laugh ) but called me back about 2 weeks later on a Sunday afternoon. Told me he would "ship one right out"......5 weeks later it still had not arrived, but I knew how "things were", so I didn't sweat it. He called a couple days later (into week 6) and said the "new version" had just been released and he was going to put that "right in the mail" just as soon as he had one in his hands. Well, time passes and it's time to go to Belize and still no guide. Having been several times before, it really didn't matter to me at all, but it was the first trip for my g/f who really wanted it (for some reason she was deeply interested in Emory and his adventures). So, when we got to BC, we jump in the car and head off in search of Emory.....not to be found anywhere. He'd moved his offices from "downtown" to where - no one seemed to know. Never did see one in a store anywhere.

Three weeks later, the night before we were to return to the US, we were sitting on the porch of the Colton House, look across the street, at the hotel(Radisson), and there, getting out of a car was a man in the biggest hat you'll see in BZ....it was Emory. We walked across the street and chatted with him a bit, laughing about the time delays of shipping/mail, life in BZ and lots of stuff. He laughed, reached into his desk and pulled out a copy of the "new version" - JUST ARRIVED he says..."It's yours.... no charge". Three weeks after we got home, the original "old version" arrived in mail, slighlty damaged by our good ole USPS, i one of those plastic envelopes stickered "damaged in transit".

Wish I could tell ya where to buy one (but rememebr it is 4 yrs old now)

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (wiley), 52 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,036 Topics
462,242 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.