Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#97314 - 02/10/05 11:21 AM Diving Help/Advice?
1TGB Offline
My girlfriend & I will be in AC for a week around Easter. I will arrive Scuba certified with ~20 dives, and she will arrive having completed her pool & theory, but needing to complete her 2 days of certification dives. Does anyone have any advice as to the best shop to complete the certifications dives, where these dives usually take place, if I would be welcome (and is it worth it) to join her group for these dives, and most importantly...how fare in advance you need to schedule?

BTW - This board is outstanding. Thanks in advance for any advice that you may be able to offer. See you in Belize.

#97315 - 02/10/05 03:40 PM Re: Diving Help/Advice?
emjay2ah Offline
Amigos del Mar is the best on the Island (do a search on this board for many of their recommendations). Ask for Jim (one of the Master Instructors). Good luck and have fun!

#97316 - 02/10/05 03:45 PM Re: Diving Help/Advice?
RobertE Offline
Lots of shops, lot of choices and you will get many opinions. Do a search on certification and you will get lots of responses. Hope that helps.

Typically you do not need advance reservations. My advice is walk around town, talk to a few shops and go with the shop you get the best vibe from

#97317 - 02/10/05 05:10 PM Re: Diving Help/Advice?
mobunny Offline
I highly recommend Protech. Dove with them for two weeks last summer as a new diver. The staff is friendly, professional and safety oriented. I learned so much from the divemasters and felt I had really improved when it was time to go home. In addition they replace their rental equipment every six months and it is quality equipment. It is a smaller shop too so the boats aren't crowded. Have fun no matter who you choose to dive with. mobunny cool

#97318 - 02/10/05 05:24 PM Re: Diving Help/Advice?
ScubaLdy Offline
Everyone has their favorites and of course you will gets lots of differing opinions. I really react when I see someone say "so and so is the best."
DO NOT make an advance committment. Get here, take your list from this board and visit them. Elbert Greer who is an instructor at Ramon's just sat down beside me with his ice cream. He said there is a great picture of him at
He's so modest. To tell the truth I have never dove with Elbert but he is a friend and a very funny guy. Been living here 15 years, writes a column for the local paper etc.
I also happy to really like Billy Leslie at Hustler Eco Tours. I've been diving with him since 1998. Billy is a master instructor - that means he instructs instructors. He is also very entertaining.
I love Everette Anderson - one of Billy's students. Everette is now an independent and gives private lessons. He taught my daughter in December and she is coming back in April. A guy in my villa just came down from Illinois and used Everett. Five of us joined him on this last open water dives.
Ched Cabral is also an independent here. So you have lots to choose from.
It is alwasy best to do the class room work at home and bring a referral.
Good luck. cool
Take only pictures leave only bubbles

#97319 - 02/10/05 10:15 PM Re: Diving Help/Advice?
hil71 Offline
When we were getting certified at ADM there were a good few people doing their referal - you dont really have to book anywhere as far as we could tell. When i went back in Dec my friend got certified, i went along on 3 of her four dives (stayed on the boat for the other one) probably best not to get too involved if there are a group of them and they are doing their skill - especially if the instructors dont know you or have never seen you dive. Highly recommend Amigos - Eddie is a great instuctor (as is Jim).

#97320 - 02/11/05 05:44 PM Re: Diving Help/Advice?
islandgial Offline
Deep Penetration Adventure Co. Ltd. - Robbie and Chuck, great guys, professional work. Search for them online at www.divecharter.bz
You will love them!

#97321 - 02/11/05 05:45 PM Re: Diving Help/Advice?
islandgial Offline
Deep Penetration Adventure Co. Ltd. - Robbie and Chuck, great guys, professional work. Search for them online at www.divecharter.bz
You will love them!

#97322 - 02/11/05 05:46 PM Re: Diving Help/Advice?
islandgial Offline
You will love them!

#97323 - 02/12/05 06:28 AM Re: Diving Help/Advice?

Jim Zykens @ Amigos Del Mar

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 106 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,709 Topics
461,235 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.