Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#97399 - 02/12/05 07:45 AM Church Clothes?
MarkHNH Offline
Whenever we travel, we always attend Mass at the local Church. It is interesting to note the differences in the services.
In the USA, the dress code in Church has gotten much more casual over the years. I personally very rarely wear shorts or jeans to Church.
I was wondering how the locals on AC dress for Mass on Sunday.
The bottom line is,are shorts acceptable, or should I pack a pair of long pants to wear to Church?

#97400 - 02/12/05 07:54 AM Re: Church Clothes?
Now Danny Offline
Good morning Mark. Only been there once but I don't think long pants are at all necessary. The locals dress in there Sunday best. Nice shorts work well with nice light shirt. Take knee pads. no knellers and hard tile floor. Just about everyone kneels on the floor for a much longer time than we do here. Go enjoy, and pray for us all. Danny

#97401 - 02/12/05 09:41 AM Re: Church Clothes?
Island Mom Offline
In Europe or Mexico, it is not acceptable to wear shortsto Mass. In the United States Virgin Islands it is. Are you sure it will be OK in Belize? We also go to a Catholic Church everywhere we go.

#97402 - 02/12/05 10:00 AM Re: Church Clothes?
Our daughter was married in the San Pedro Catholic Church last June. Shorts are fine, just wear shoes. If so inclined slipping Father Jim or Father Paul a few extra US$ after Mass to help continue fixing up the windows in the sanctuary would be great. Be prepared for a long Mass, but interesting.

#97403 - 02/12/05 10:08 AM Re: Church Clothes?
captjeff Offline
have been to the church in town ,for three happy occasions ,a wedding,renewing of vows and baptismal ,and every one had nice tropical light clothes on and some had pants on , some had shorts. most where locals, some gringos like me ..and all where welcomed .
Living The Dream Every Day!

#97404 - 02/12/05 12:26 PM Re: Church Clothes?
Beachy Offline
island Mom,
I was raised on St. Croix and I would say that by and large (probably due to stiff colonial traditions) The VI are indeed much more formal about things than here, many wore suits to church in STX. Everyone posting here is right, dress appropriately & casually.
Casa Picasso
Casa Picasso celebrated three yearsthis May, thanks to all of you!
Chris and Jen

#97405 - 02/12/05 05:24 PM Re: Church Clothes?
Island Mom Offline
Dear Chris,
We had the great pleasure of attending Mass at the Catholic Church on the island of St. John, USVI, this past April. The new church was in the process of being built. There were no windows and no air conditioning in the building. We returned that hot day to St. John after exploring Tortola since early that morning. We had on shorts at Mass on a Saturday evening at 5 pm. We were so happy that we were not kicked out. We would have been if we were in Europe. I am usually happier to be at Mass in a long, flowing skirt with my guys in long pants. Thanks for the good advise.

#97406 - 02/13/05 01:11 PM Re: Church Clothes?
MarkHNH Offline
Thanks for the responses.
Island Mom reminds me of the time we went to Mass in St Thomas during a cruise ship stop. I still remember the women in their bright white dresses and the traditional church music set to a caribbean beat.

#97407 - 02/13/05 03:09 PM Re: Church Clothes?
SlimJim Offline
I agree with Danny (however skip the kneelers - the kneeling didn't bother me and at my church they don't kneel at all!) I wore (short) shorts, a button down shirt and Tevas and didn't feel any bad vibes from the locals. There is no a/c so the downtown church is quite warm. God understands that we gringos may not be used to that warm environment.

#97408 - 02/14/05 11:06 AM Re: Church Clothes?
njmichael Offline
My wife & I were in the RC Church in downtown last August, I was one of many people wearing shorts and a t-shirt. The mass runs pretty long, but on the plus side there was a friendly puppy that strolled in and took a nap in our pew.

Bottom line- Be comfortable, be casual and be respectful. No worries.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
5 registered (tazh2o, Sailorgirl, KathyA, Pokey, 1 invisible), 42 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,633 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,706 Topics
461,225 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.