Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#97981 02/22/05 05:17 PM
jjax97 Offline OP
OP Offline
Can anyone tell me anything about The Cloisters? There's info on the web-site, but I'd like to hear from somebody thats actually been there or seen the place. Thanks, Justin

#97982 02/22/05 07:14 PM
I was contemplating staying there as the price seems well but their advertising is misleading. On their website they state that there is a sleeper sofa in the room and when I emailed them they stated that the sofa sleeper would cost an additional $110 for the 10 days we wanted to stay. Not only that but there is only maid service upon request and you must pay for it, it is not included in the price. You must also factor in that there is no pool and that it is north of the cut where you would have to take the hand ferry into san pedro and it would cost money. On the plus side it looks like it would be somewhat quiet but I am not sure what bars and other shops are in the same vicinity of it since I have never stayed there.

#97983 02/22/05 07:51 PM
If you want to stay in the North
Try Belizean Shores VERY Reasonable and GREAT POOL

#97984 02/22/05 08:00 PM
Upon a casual glance, I can see how one might be mis-led. However, if one reads closely, it states the rates are based upon single or double occupancy - not an uncommon thing to charge addt'l for 3rd or 4th person.

And, for that price, it should set off the flashing lights, in comparison with other establishments.

Not knocking, just making observations.

It's right next to Hammock House (practically) and a short walk to Sweet Basil (deli)

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
#97985 02/22/05 08:37 PM
Originally posted by klcman:
Upon a casual glance, I can see how one might be mis-led. However, if one reads closely, it states the rates are based upon single or double occupancy - not an uncommon thing to charge addt'l for 3rd or 4th person.

And, for that price, it should set off the flashing lights, in comparison with other establishments.

Not knocking, just making observations.

It's right next to Hammock House (practically) and a short walk to Sweet Basil (deli)
I was inquiring for double occupancy as one person would be sleeping in the bed and the other on the sleeper sofa. That is pretty ridiculous that on their website it states a sleeper sofa is provided in the suite but when I asked about it I was told you must pay extra to use it as it isnt provided in the room initially.

#97986 02/22/05 09:21 PM
would seem so

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
#97987 02/23/05 01:12 PM
I wasn't going to say anything and didn't respond to the first inquiry about this place after our trip, because I felt silence spoke volumes. But I was encourage to speak of my experience at this place.
We stayed there over Christmas.
On the positive side the condos are new, clean & moderately equiped. It is within walking distance of the Hammock House and Hamilton's is next door. We never ate there because it seemed pricey. Sweet Basils is close, we didn't eat there either. We were given the rate quoted by email and did not have to pay extra for maid service that was available every day.

On the negative side.
The bathroom had a HORRIBLE ordor from the potable water they use for the toliet. We tried opening the window, didn't help. Thankfully, I brought a sented candle with me that we placed on the toliet and lit prior to extended periods of time spent there. We finally bought some bleach and poured a little in the tank to tone the smell down.
The other negative thing -
We booked our room in Oct. I emailed and asked specificly which room would we be in and Bob responded by email with our room number. When we arrived on Dec. 21st we were not given the room we were told we would have.
When I asked why couldn't we have the room we were told we would have the response was "It wouldn't work out because I've got arrangements made and it would mess everything up" quote from Bob. We stayed in the room that he assigned to us - the one with the BIG palm tree in front of the balcony that blocked the view - you can see it on their web site - we were told, in writing we would have the room on the opposite site. The next morning, after I found the copy of Bob's email confirming our room, I asked why we couldn't we have the room he said we could have & showed him the email and I let him know the tree was blocking our view. I was told by Bob "Some people like the palm tree" and again he refused to change the room because it would mess up HIS plans.
We were expecting this huge crowd of people to decend upon the place. We waited.
In the meantime -
On Dec.22 we had to rent a golf cart because my husband sprained his ankle. When we ran into Bob by the ferry, told him about the ankle. He was quick to let us know that we could not park the cart in the back by the condo. We had to park it at the front because he was expecting other people and he didn't want carts blocking the path. We complied with his request.

We are still waiting for the crowd.

That night or rather early the next morning I awoke about 3:oo am, went to the restroom, got a glass of water, disturbed my husbands sleep and got back in bed. We settled back down to get back to sleep and about 10 minutes later were startled by the sound of someone checking the door knob!!!!!! The bedroom is in the back of the condo right by the entry door. The sound is unmistakable. We got up made sure the balcony door was locked and the windows and went back to bed.
We felt creepy because - WE WERE THE ONLY PEOPLE STAYING THERE.
The next day we ran into Bob on ferry again. I told him about the incident. He was puzzled - but unconcerned and told us he never locks anything.

WE WERE THE ONLY PEOPLE STAYING THERE ON THE NIGHTS OF DEC. 21, 22 & 23.

The place was empty except for us.

On Dec. 24 they put lounge chairs on the small beach in front of the condos. Nice. Would have been nicer had they been there all along.
A couple FINALLY checked into OUR room that night. It was just us and them for that night.

I talked to the couple on Dec. 26 the day we were leaving and they said they were leaving the next day.
For the life of me I do not know why - if I had been given the room that I was supposed to have - it would have "messed up plans".
We had a wonderful time on AC in spite of it all - who could not -
BUT I WILL NEVER STAY THERE AGAIN -
simply because of the way we were treated.

Time flys - have fun!
#97988 02/23/05 01:49 PM
D
D
Thanks for posting your info. We had been considering the Cloisters and almost booked it thinking, "if there were problems with the place, somebody would have posted something". While it is nice to hear positive things about places to help with choices, it is just as helpful to hear about problem experiences - and in a survival of the business fittest kind of way, it may help them upgrade their treatment of guests if their occupancy goes down as a result of shabby treatment.

#97989 02/23/05 02:01 PM
jjax97 Offline OP
OP Offline
Well put. And yes, thank you for posting your experience. OK then - Can someone tell me about the Caribbean Villas Hotel? Looks really nice and is in about the same price range. Also, looks as if the mngmt might be a little more accomadating. But what I really want to know is, Is it quiet? That's what a vacation is all about right? RELAXING Can anybody on this site tell me if Im picking the right place to go in AC???

#97990 12/31/05 06:16 PM
I would place Caribbean villas and Bananas on a par -CV is quiet and mellow with a fantastic beach and dock Bananas is the best family hotel on the island, for the price, but mellow it is not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.