Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#98222 - 03/02/05 01:00 PM Field guides
wsh2fsh Offline
Will be going to AC and the Cayo district in April. Am looking for a field guide to birds, mammals,reptiles, ect... In Costa Rica we picked up one that had all on a nice waterproof fold out sheet. Anything like that for Belize?

#98223 - 03/02/05 01:10 PM Re: Field guides
tincup Offline

#98224 - 03/02/05 03:31 PM Re: Field guides
SimonB Offline
A Field Guide to the Mammals of Central America & Southeast Mexico. By Fiona Reid, the artwork is amazing.

A Guide to the Birds of Mexico and Northern Central America. Steven N. G. Howell

A Field Guide to the Amphibians and Reptiles of the Maya World: The Lowlands of Mexico, Northern Guatemala, and Belize. Julian C. Lee

The Bat: Wings in the Night Sky. M. Brock Fenton

Each of these are excellent reference guides and I used them extensively during my 3 years at Lamanai. Both Brock and Fiona are also former alumnus of Lamanai.

#98225 - 03/02/05 06:23 PM Re: Field guides
Caye Crazed Offline
You will enjoy-"Birds of Belize" by H. Lee Jones and Dana Gardner. Using this you can easily identify almost 600 species. Happy Birding!

#98226 - 03/02/05 06:27 PM Re: Field guides
kippe Offline
Some lovely lady (80 years old, bless her heart) wrote a most entertaining book about bird-watching in Belize. Of course I can't remember the name of the author or the book,it's been a while. I found it looking up "Belize" at the library. Worth looking for!

#98227 - 03/02/05 07:09 PM Re: Field guides
Gela Offline
How about "Bird Watching with Bubba"? I really enjoyed reading it and was sorry I didn't bring my copy along when I met its author, Elbert Greer two years ago at BCs.
Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's" frown

#98228 - 03/02/05 09:02 PM Re: Field guides
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
A few other field and nature guides and related books:

Ames, Oakes and Correll, Donovan Stewart. Orchids of Guatemala and Belize, Dover Publications, 1985, 779 pp. with 204 black-and-white illustrations. Republication of Chicago Natural History Museum 1953 field guide and 1965 supplement. Exhaustive, covering 527 species.
Arvigo, Rosita and Balick, Michael. Rainforest Remedies, One Hundred Healing Herbs of Belize, HarperSanFrancisco, 2001, 240 pp. Guide to traditional Mayan/Belizean herbal remedies.
Arvigo, Rosita with Epstein, Nadine and Yaquinto, Marilyn. Sastun, My Apprenticeship with a Maya Healer, HarperSanFrancisco, 1994, 190 pp. Story of Arvigo’s time with Don Elijio Panti.
Beletsky, Les. The Ecotravellers’ Wildlife Guide, Belize and Northern Guatemala, Interlink Press, 2004, 477 pp. Lavishly color-illustrated guide, oriented to the amateur, to the most commonly spotted mammals, birds, amphibians, reptiles, fish and corals.
Campbell, Jonathan A. Amphibians and Reptiles of Northern Guatemala, the Yucatán, and Belize, University of Oklahoma Press, 1998, 380 pp., with 176 color photographs. The best guide to herpetofauna of the region.
Emmons, Katherine. Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary: Its History, Flora and Fauna for Visitors, Teachers and Scientists, Community Conservation Consultants, 1996. Definitive on the subject.
Greenfield, David W. and Thomerson, Jamie E. Fishes of the Continental Waters of Belize, University Press of Florida, 1997, 311 pp. Comprehensive guide, with black-and-white illustrations.
Edwards, Ernest Preston, illustrated by Butler, E.M. A Field Guide to the Birds of Mexico and Adjacent Areas: Belize, Guatemala, and El Salvador, University of Texas Press, 1998, 288 pp. This is used by many local guides in Belize.
Horwich, Robert H. A Belizean Rain Forest, 432 pp. A look at the Community Baboon Sanctuary and the northern forests of Belize.
Jones, H. Lee, and Gardner, Dana. Birds of Belize, University of Texas Press, 2004, 484 pp. The only cmprehensive Belize-specific birding guide.
Lee, Julian. A Field Guide to the Amphibians and Reptiles of the Maya World: The Lowlands of Mexico, Northern Guatemala and Belize, Cornell University Press, 2000, 488 pp.
Matola, Sharon. Birds of Belize, A Field Handbook, Belize Zoo, 28 pp.
-- Hoodwink the Owl, 40 pp. Children’s ecostory by the founder of the Belize Zoo.
Meyer, John R. and Foster, Carol Farneti. A Guide to the Frogs and Toads of Belize, Krieger Publishing, 1996.
Miller, Carolyn M. and Miller, Bruce W. Exploring the Tropical Forest at Chan Chich Lodge Belize, Wildlife Conservation Society, 2nd. ed., 1994, 51 pp.
Peterson, Roger Tory. A Field Guide to Mexican Birds: Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, El Salvador, Peterson Field Guides/Houghton-Mifflin, 1999. The birder’s pal, though it lacks Spanish names of birds.
Rabinowitz, Alan. Jaguar, Arbor House, 1986, 368 pp. Story of effort to establish the Cockscomb Preserve.
Woods, R.L., Reid, S.T. and Reid, A.M. The Field Guide to Ambergris Caye. Near-exhaustive study of the island and surrounding sea.
Snakes of Belize, Belize Audubon Society, 55 pp.

--Lan Sluder
Lan Sluder/Belize First

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 25 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,633 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,706 Topics
461,226 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.