Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#98497 03/07/05 01:33 AM
OP Offline
SLOMom and myself are bringing 3 of the results of our love and affections to San Pedro in early April. Our kids want to share some of their plenty with those of less fortunate means. I would think clothes and sports equipment would be a good idea. any suggestions?? are there distribution centers or churches to help get these items into the hands of those who could use them.

#98498 03/08/05 09:56 AM
OOO, pretty touchy and controversial subject. Being a normally non-controversial type of guy I would not respond except since no one else has, I will.
What I see so often is tourists coming to Belize, going only to Ambergris Caye and forming the opinion that it is a poor island in need of our generosity. Granted there are those on Ambergris Caye that are in need. There are also those on Ambergris Caye who's net worth is probably greater than many of the tourists coming there wanting to bring their "generosity". This is due in part to the huge increase in land values over the years and those locals selling their land. And, also due to the opportunities created for the locals thru tourism.
This has also created a bias and envy of other Belizeans who have not prospered as much. Many other areas of Belize are truly poor, even by Ambergris standards, and are much more in need. This is evidenced by Ambergris complaining that they do not get returned to them sufficient funds in relation to what they generate in taxes - another discussion for a later time.
Back to the point a hand, my personal opinion is that tourists coming to Ambergris are contributing greatly by coming and spending their money. And, I think it is commendable that some want to do more. What I would like to see more of is those who have prospered and whose livelihood and futures are tied to Ambergris Caye doing more. Granted, they are doing a service to their country by generating taxes that go help the less fortunate areas of Belize. But, I would like to see some ways that Ambergris could do more to help it's self. They must find the way to invest in the infrastructure needed to support the volume of tourists coming and to invest in the needs of the community and those less fortunate. It's not all up to just the tourist's generosity. If the government of Belize is not helping Ambergris enough, maybe it is time for Ambergris to find ways to help it's self.

#98499 03/10/05 10:24 AM
But, to get back to the question at hand, is there anywhere you can drop the things off so that they can be distributed to those that need it the most - yes, indeed there is.

The Lion's Club has a den (with storage facility) and will gladly distribute donated items. As will all of the churches. I haven't counted how many churches we have these days, but there are plenty!

It is a lovely and selfless thing your children are doing by being considerate enough to think about others that are less fortunate than themselves.

No matter how much people may kid themselves about there not being "real" poverty here on the island there definitely is.

We have many illegal immigrants living here that have to take the lowest paying jobs because of their illegal status. Their kids can't go to school because they are not officially here. At times there are families that live at the dump who scavenge to find "treasure" that they can sell or exchange for food!

ALL donations are welcome.

Thanks you so much.

And of course, your tourist dollar certainly keeps our world turning. We appreciate your generousity and your business.

#98500 03/10/05 11:02 AM
Just another thought - and one not meant to take away from Amanda's suggestions. What I've learned that one doesn't necessarily have to do one or the other - both can be done.

When we visited last year we went to Lamani. On the bus ride across the mainland, we traveled through a couple of small villages with schools. I'm wondering if these school/villages would be open to the idea of your gifts. Then how wonderful for your kids if they could keep in contact with the children, through letters, and then form a relationship that both parties could benefit from?

smile

"The truly happy person is the one who can enjoy the scenery even when he must take a detour"
#98501 03/10/05 12:52 PM
H
H
while we were on ambergris, we became friends with a lovely woman who seemed to be working many different jobs, and all the time. she explained that it is very expensive to live on the island and raise a family. people she has met and become friends with have offered things to her family over the years and she said that what has been offered has been accepted with thanks. she has not thought of these gifts as "charity", but as a helping hand to her children or herself. we found a young boy that truly needed a bicycle to get to school. it was a long walk into town from where we were staying, and so we decided as a family to make a gift of the bike a few days before leaving. we were so pleased to see the recipient riding home from school the day before we returned home. no one has to know that the child's family didn't provide the bike, and therefore everyone can save face, and everyone can benefit. my kids benefitted especially...it is always better to give when it comes from the heart.

#98502 03/11/05 09:23 AM
N
N
On the advice of immissing, I donated a perfectly good, fully functional working Compaq notebook computer with Windows 95 & modem to the Library and Marissa and the volunteer there were overjoyed! I was a little afraid that they would look down on it but they didn't. Showed them how it worked and I also offered to send them classic books (Shakespear, Bronte, & poetry etc.) and they were very encouraging.

Nori

#98503 03/11/05 09:33 AM
E
E
In spite of some people claiming there is no poverty on AC, all you need to do is look around. One would have to be blind and ignorant not to see it. That is the reason the San Pedro Social Club was formed, to help make life a little better in our meager efforts. If anyone has items/cash etc, etc. to donate, let us know and we will be happy to assist you in any way we can. If you have questions, please see our website at www.sanpedrosc.org

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 107 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.