Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
The geefer will be near the reefer very soon and i'm needing some intelligence from all you undercover AC agents. please threadsmitt your 2 cents. situation 3 kids 8,9,13 with good swimming/snorkling skills. for sure we are going to Hoi chan and Shark Ray Alley but where are Mexico Rocks,Tres Cocos and Coco Solo. are they ok for snorkling and how long would it take to get there by water from San Pedro.
what other nearby areas would be great spots for 2-3 hour trip.
Please no sarcastic remarks about suicide snorkling in the back lagoon, unless they are very amusing. all other comments much appreciated.

Hey, geefer

Tres Coco and Mexico Rocks is north of the cut past the Palapa Bar. I am not familiar with Coco Solo so no help there. Tres Coco and Mexico Rocks can easily be done in a half day trip and is a nice snorkel. Mexico Rocks is a patch reef and Tres Coco is shallow...the formations reach right to the surface and require one to navigate around the coral formations, not over them. Have fun!

S
S
Mexico Rocks

Mexico Rocks is six miles north of San Pedro Town on the way to Mexico. This is one of the most beautiful area because of the colorful juvenile fish, such as, the rock beauty, queen angelfish, French angelfish, blue angelfish, yellowtail, damselfish, bandage shrimp, juvenile parrot fishes, fairy basslet and a large variety of different species of marine life. The corals, such as the brain corals, which forms big mountains from 8 to 20 feet up to the surface. You will also see magnificent elkhorn corals, sea whip, sea rod that makes good protection for the juvenile fishes and on the sandy sea bed there is always sting rays, eagle rays and peacock flounder.

Directrly in front of Costa Maya Reef Resort .

My personal favorite is the snorkeling in Bacalar Chico National Park .

The BEST snorkeling I've ever experienced.

Amazing stuff.

"The park encompasses a 60 square mile area and is bounded in the north by the Belize-Mexico border and the channel dug by the Mayans about 1500 years ago. The southern boundary is marked by the point from San Juan (on the western lagoon side) and a part of Chetumal Bay to Robles Point (on the eastern side) and a little beyond the reef. Corozal Town, Ambergris Caye and the village of Sarteneja are geographically linked in the new reserve. This extraordinary area where the reef at Rocky Point touches the land is a nesting site for the green sea turtle and the loggerhead turtle; the offshore marine habitat was once known as a breeding area for the queen conch and a seasonal spawning bank for the nassau and yellowfin grouper. It has a high diversity of terrestrial and vegetation zones and several threatened species inhabit the area. The goal of this project is to conserve these resources, possibly repopulate the declining fish stock and to protect marine life and wildlife by deterring illegal fishing and hunting. The new National Park will provide many eco-touristic benefits. It includes an area for snorkeling, seven Mayan sites of which only one has been excavated, a refuge for endangered species such as the puma and jaguar, and an opportunity for visitors and locals to enjoy the abundance of flora and fauna. Tour guides in the three communities involved have endorsed the project and have commended government for having the vision to set aside this area prior to the development of North Ambergris Caye."

from the
SAN PEDRO SUN 9/20/95

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
OP Offline
Thanks for the info big E and Sir IN. We must find a guide or tour to the Bacalar Chico NP. I have not seen that location advertised by the various tour operators.

SIN,
Bacalar is on my list and after your post even more so. I suspect it may takes many years of trips to see all Belize has to offer. Isn't that just too bad? Really enjoyed Mexico Rocks but doubt I'd do Tres Coco again.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.