Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#9952 10/11/00 02:22 PM
OP Offline
PLEASE READ THE TOPIC ON .....IMPORTANT SUGGESTION.

#9953 10/11/00 03:56 PM
S
S
I just spoke to Nellie Gomez in San Pedro. The rumors that some have been spreading about 30 people dead in the lagoons, govt cover ups of deaths, hidden bodies, large numbers of people unaccounted for are FALSE. NOBODY has reported any neighbors, friends, relatives missing.
All local residents are accounted for. NO BODIES HAVE BEEN FOUND with the exception of one person from the catamaran lost at sea. There is another catamaran reported missing, whereabouts unknown, reportedly with two people aboard. She does not know who they are.
Let me add my opinion that Nellie knows most everyone in town and its inconceivable that she would not know about it if any of these rumors had any basis in fact.

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]
#9954 10/11/00 04:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
That is good news!! Thanks Susan.

#9955 10/11/00 06:08 PM
R
R
Would Nellie know anything about Pablo Mejia, who worked at the Holiday Hotel in Ambergris Caye? He is missing.

Thx

#9956 10/11/00 07:59 PM
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

#9957 10/11/00 08:00 PM
S
S
Rachelle, there is a thread for info on specific San Pedranos. If you are personally looking for someone that is where your query should be posted for info for their friends from outside Belize. If you can give a description of who the person is, it is more likely that someone will have info for you. "Mervino" started that thread and many "OK" messages as well as queries have been posted. There are a couple of other threads circulating re queries about people and you should do a search for them for your friend.
Yes, Nellie would know if someone was "missing" meaning that their whereabouts or well being was unknown to their family, their neighbors, their friends and the community on Ambergris Caye. The fact that you have not heard anything about a local resident does not mean that he or she is "missing."
Nellie said that all local residents had been accounted for between family, friends, and neighbors, with the exception of the occupants of the two catamarans that disappeared. She does not know the names of the two people who were on the one catamaran that is still unaccounted for. I suspect that their names will be released as soon as the authorities trace the ownership of the boat and figure out who they are I do not know whether they are local residents, long term visitors, or tourists just passing through. I hope they are found OK.

#9958 10/11/00 08:02 PM
Susan: Please stop acting like know anything personally. Your contacts on the beach do not travel in the same circles as the people in San Padrito. Believe me.

Gone fishing!!
#9959 10/11/00 08:16 PM
Bill has a point. Could someone please help him learn of his loved ones. He has been waiting many days now. Thanks

Dare To Deviate
#9960 10/11/00 09:16 PM
S
S
Bill, read my message again. I reported what I received from Nellie Gomez. I have no personal knowledge of anything (same as you) since I am not there. I do not post information as FACT unless I have personal knowledge, and when I repeat info I have received, I identify its source. I do believe that rumors of diastrous occurrences should not be posted until they are CONFIRMED by eye witnesses.
I am unclear as to what the "friends on the beach" means comment means. If you are referring to Nellie, you must not know her, or you would know that she is a native San Pedrana. She is one of the island's most hard working and successful business women, who worked her way up the hard way from being an underpaid hotel assistant manager to owning three businesses and does not lay around "on the beach" eating bon bons like a tourist.
She has been active in the community for a long time, as have many members of her family, and is very well respected by and involved in the community. She would not make a statement about a fact based on speculation, when she doesn't know something she will tell you "I don't know."
She says that there are no local people whose whereabouts are unknown to their family, friends, or neighbors, and that efforts were made to ensure this is so; and that the town council is not hiding mass graves. I believe her to be a reliable source of information, whereas the people who have posted these rumors have not provided ANY sources.
I am sorry that you cannot locate your friends. My family has friends and acquaintances we have not heard from either, but I am assuming they are OK until I hear otherwise, based on the reliable sources I have spoken to.
From what Nellie has told me, most of Ambergris Caye does not have power, most business establishments are closed, most people do not have telephone services. Everyone is very busy with repairs and the local people do not have time or ability to respond to queries from their friends in the US. They are dealing with day to day survival issues.
But the fact that you do not know where your friends are is NOT reliable evidence that they are "missing," sick, injured or dead. It just means that you still lack the information. The only suggestion I can make is that you telephone someone you know down there who is a relative or friend or neighbor of the people you are searching for or ask someone to carry a message to such people and ask them to check and leave word with someone who has access to email.

#9961 10/11/00 09:31 PM
You ARE a lawyer. Please do not pass on your spins.

Gone fishing!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.