Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Traveling from Belize to Mexico by Boat and Bus

Budget-traveling from Belize to Mexico is an eight-hour affair, and whether it's worth doing it that way also depends on your patience, your ability to stomach choppy seas, and the weather.

The three ways to get to Mexico from Belize are:

• by plane
  • by overnight bus from Belize City to Cancun, with the Mexican bus line "ADO" leaving from the Queen Square Market I'm told (which lands you in Playa del Carmen at 4 a.m. or Cancun at about 6 a.m.); or
  • if you're leaving from one of the Cayes, first by water taxi to Chetumal (2 hours), followed by a five-to-seven hour ADO bus ride, depending on your final destination in Mexico. For example, it's 4.5 hours from Chetumal to Playa del Carmen.
Buying the Water Taxi Ticket to Chetumal

The day before leaving for Mexico, the lady at the San Pedro Belize Express Water Taxi office in Caye Caulker warned me. The boat leaves at 7 o'clock sharp, so make sure you show up on time, she said.

I purchased my round trip ticket to Chetumal and lucky for me I knew my passport number by heart. You're supposed to bring your passport along when you get your ticket, so you can >> be registered on the SPBE's log of folks leaving Belize.

The round trip ticket (and next time I'm only getting a one-way - see later in the story) cost me US $ 65 or $130 Belizean Dollars. Then I had to pay a separate US $5 (BZD $10) docking fee.

Oh, and then I was told to expect another US $ 3.75 (or BZD $7.50) fee when going through immigration in San Pedro - a mandatory stop when heading to Mexico from the Cayes.

Total so far: US $73.75 or BZD $147.5 from Caye Caulker.

CLICK HERE for the rest of the article and LOTS of good photos....

Having done this trip many times, both ways (air and water) I will always do the flight and taxi with Menzies to the bus station in Chetumal. The water taxi is ok, but it does tend to wear you out by the time you get to the bus station, you are certainly ready for the long bus trip (read: NAP).

Change your Latitude

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 207 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.