Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
mikell Offline OP
OP Offline
Today was to be the BEST day of our whole trip - our eagerly awaited full day of fishing & snorkeling at the reef with a beach BBQ in between.

After breakfast, we pack up our snorkel gear and head down to the pier to wait for Capt. Bicho and his son at 8 a.m. Bill & Frank from NY & NJ are coming along too - met them on the message board and hooked up to share the charter.

Bicho arrives and we spend a few minutes while they throw nets near shore to catch some sardines for bait. It's been fun to watch the fishermen every morning following the pelicans along the shoreline - they are nature's "fish finders" and when they dive bomb into the water, you know the schools of sardine are just below the surface. The sun's light on the water in the early morning while these boats drift past makes a great shot.

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dd22b3127cceb9e2cf2e18800000003610[/img]

Today the wind was up and Bicho decides we'll fish off the west side of the caye where he knows we'll have great luck with snapper. Weather conditions seem to determine where the best fishing experience will be, and we're happy to let him pick the type of fishing we'll do. We're just thrilled to be aboard.

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dd22b3127cceb9f91e57b9eb0000003610[/img]

After a short ride through the lagoon, we're heading out to a spot where Bicho has created an underwater "shelter" to attract fish. We no sooner cast towards the dark area in a sea of turquoise when the fish start striking. It's pretty much non-stop action from then on.

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dd22b3127cceb9f91b9a788c0000003610[/img]

We move around a couple of times to try more spots and the action is always good. It doesn't take long to have maybe 40 or 50 snapper - red, yellow and spotted. I think Bicho's son lands the biggest one - it's obvious he's been doing this awhile, and he's having just as much fun as we are. He and his dad never stop working to keep our hooks baited and help with the casting when needed.

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dd27b3127cceb98f5f2ec3cb0000002610[/img]

The most excitement for Frank was when he thought he'd landed the mother of all fish! Turned out he'd snagged a ray�and boy, did he have his work cut out for him landing that. Bicho said he'd keep it and cook it up for a family member who is particularly fond of cooked ray.

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dd22b3127cceb9f91ec2384e0000003610[/img]

It was just perfect to be out in the hot sun with the warm wind blowing, surrounded by the most beautiful turquoise colour of water I've ever seen. Soon we'd had our fill of fishing and we were starting to look forward to eating some of our catch.

I have to do this day in parts since the BBQ on the beach is a whole story on it's own. I love fishing and I love snorkeling - but having someone cook you up a meal of fish you just caught, along with side dishes, on a tropical beach�.well, that's in a class all by its self!!!

To be continued�

More, more, more!!! laugh

Mikell...we are waiting for a response from Capt. Bicho...how many people do you think fit comfortably on the boat? And...I'd love to go along with my hubby who loves to fish...was it rough waters and would it be enjoyable to spend the entire day on the boat not being much into fishing. We love to snorkel (my kids and I ) and were thinking of having Bicho drop us off somewhere while he takes hubby off fishing. Also we were thinking of having BNBelize's family join us...would 7 fit on with Bicho & his son? confused

mikell Offline OP
OP Offline
i'm not sure if bicho has a bigger boat than the one we were on...but that one holds 6 people comfortably...i'd say a max of 7...any more than that and you'd probably find it crowded.

he's a wonderful guy...very accomodating...he'll take you to do whatever you want to do...any combination of things...i'm sure it would be no problem to drop you off onshore while your husband fishes...and then take all of you snorkeling later...he's very flexible.

i really didn't do much fishing myself...i was content to take pictures and watch the action...if the weather is fine, it's just a pleasure to be on the boat...

we had a pretty windy day, so bicho suggested the west side of the caye for fishing...and no...it wasn't rough at all...the boat is very comfortable.

a combo day with fishing in the morning...then a beach BBQ...then an afternoon of snorkeling is wonderful...you will love the whole day!

Thanks Mikell laugh We are enjoying all the info you have to share....we're hoping Capt.Bicho isn't totally booked...I should have been in touch with him before this especially since we're going during Easter break. How many days did you go out with him? I hear people try to book several with him during their stay. Sounds as if you and your husband are alot like us...we love to explore..take it easy and probably by night will go to bed satisfied and yet exhausted from the day's happenings!!! Keep up the reports...we are thoroughly enjoying them smile

mikell Offline OP
OP Offline
we only booked one day with bicho...i think that was probably enough for a first time...there were other things we wanted to do during our week there...and yes, we don't try to pack too much into our vacations. but it was definitely the highlight of the whole trip and i would do it again in a heartbeat!

Your reports are awesome! May I ask how much it cost for the fishing and BBQ? Do you have contact info for Capt B?

mikell Offline OP
OP Offline
you can find out all the info about him and what he offers...with pictures on his site...at fishingsanpedro.com...includes prices for various types of trips...

he is very good at replying to email. you'll love him!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 250 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.