Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#105075 06/21/05 11:46 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
from the belizenet message board....
==================
We were there on the 25th of April, came home 10 days later. Well, let me tell you, I have enjoyed my adventures, had a totally awesome time there. Five Sisters Lodge was wonderful, the people so very sweet, the view superb. We stayed in a tatched roof hut, with a screened-in back porch with a hammock. First day I got in the hammock, just getting comfortable, looked up where the screen met the roof screen, and there was a little mouse comming down from the top. I screamed, the mouse turned around and left. That was the only rodent I've seen in Belize I'm glad to say. The waterfalls sang us to sleep every night. The food was great. I couldn't imagine being able to choose nicer people if I had to choose, everyone was just great. One 19 yr old young man I would have liked to adopt, but my husband figured we are too old to have a youngster like him for a child. Well, this young man had a great sense of humor. He was driving us one day and pointed to a sign, said this is the place where we are going to come tomorrow, and will ride horsies through the rain forest. He said sometimes when they are busy, they run out of horses, and give some people a cow to ride. Now that cought my imagination. I thought it was just the neatest thing a person can do, ride a cow through the rain forest. Turns out I'm so naive that I believed him, and everyone thought it was just the funniest thing. My husband was so hoping he could ride a cow, he wanted me to take a picture of him doing it. Yup, we rode through the rain forest on horsies, and we rode and rode and rode for hours. We have learned that Belizian time is different from the rest of the world's time. Our guide said we will be at a certain place in 20 min., and when I asked an hour and half later when are we going to get there, he said 15 more minutes... Next day I couldn't sit down, walking was also painful. But we saw the most magnificent waterfall. During the days it was very hot, but by 3-4 o'clock in the morning we needed a cover. One evening when it was very hot, my husband was going around saying he wants chocolate chip ice cream, I was going around saying I want goose bumps (goose pimples, the English call them).
We have seen Tikal and Caracol, wonderful ruins, went canooing in a huge cave, walked through the Rio Frio cave, went to the butterfly farm, San Ignacio's market, got rum in the supermarket - that rum is soooo good. So is the Belikin beer.
On the 30th we went by a 14 seater plane to San Pedro on Ambergris Caye, stayed in the Banana Beach hotel, right on the shore. Our room was lovely, and the air conditioner helped with the heat. The food in the restaurant was good, I have never seen bigger hamburgers in my life... The young people in the Monkey Business shop were very helpful,I was glad I could get on line there and check my e-mails. We had a lot of fun driving a golf cart all over the caye, it's like dodge-them cars driving there. We have noticed that stop signs are there strictly for ambiance. We have given a lot of locals rides on the way, it's customary. Once we hitched a ride with a local young woman. Everyone was so friendly. Went snorkeling, but the tide was going out and in a flash it was taking me too far from the boat, so I did what every yellow bellied chicken would do, I panicked big time. They dragged me back onto the boat. A little later I tried again, but panicked once more. So when our guide caught a nurse shark in his bare hands, he held it up so I could pet it. Felt like rough sandpaper. He also caught a huge turtle, it was so very tame. I've seen rays and a lot of fishes, but was too scared to put my face in the water, just saw them from the boat. The water is so very clear, you can count the grains of sand in 10 feet of water...
I did the necessary touristy shopping, got a lovely mayan mask, a mayan priest head carved out of slate, bought a lovely wall hanging embroidered in Guatemala - a young couple sold it to us on the beach. They had a baby boy, oh so handsome. The children in Belize are just spectacularly pretty, and I'm a push-over for kids.
So all in all, it was a totally lovely time we had. We got used to the hot weather, and came home to miserable cold, I don't think the temp reached 50*F since we got home. It also has been raining, so we are chilled to the bones.
One interesting thing I was surprised by: everyone speaks English, but with an accent. The other thing that surprised me was that Tikal is such a huge attraction in Guatemala, but nobody speaks English there...
So, it was an awesome trip. I'll certainly recommend it to people. Marika

#105076 06/21/05 12:20 PM
cool cool

Reality..What a concept!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 329 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.