Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#429826 02/07/12 11:32 AM
M
OP Offline
M
At the recommendation of friend, we selected Matachica Resort to host the dinner for our small wedding party. When our wedding coordinator booked this reservation, she explicitly noted that this was our WEDDING dinner; we would have a toddler; and, we would need transportation back to our condo in San Pedro. We arrived a bit early to enjoy a cocktail in the bar. And, it all went downhill from there. Mambo was out of champagne. It was our WEDDING dinner. And, no champagne. Okay, wine it is. Shortly thereafter, we were led to our table and -- SURPRISE -- there was nothing special about it. No adornments. No flowers. Nothing. It was our WEDDING dinner! And, when we asked about seating for the toddler in our party, we got confused looks and were left to figure out a solution. This involved us moving the entire party to a booth (yes, a BOOTH for our WEDDING dinner!!). Our server was very nice but completely clueless to the details of the menu. We ordered. We waited. And, waited. And, waited. It took about 45 minutes for our meal to finally arrive. And, as anyone who has dined with a toddler knows, that is about 35 minutes too long. No apologies and no accommodations were made by our server. We enjoyed our meal. The food was fine; nothing exceptional for a foodie's palette, but fine. We asked to see a dessert menu somewhat expecting that a special dessert would have been prepared -- it was our WEDDING dinner, afterall -- but nothing. <sigh> I, the bride, was nearly in tears at this point and decided we best just call it a night. We asked our server to let the concierge know that we were ready for our transport back to our condo and, again, confused looks. She returned to our table to let us know that the water taxi would be at the dock in 45 minutes. THE WATER TAXI! At this point, my newly-minted husband took charge speaking directly to the concierge about the situation (and their failure to deliver on anything that was discussed). And, only upon his urging did the hotel arrange for our transport with one of their boats asking only that we heartily tip their driver. That was the only money we didn't mind spending that night. All in all, we paid $75/head for a WEDDING dinner that felt like bad night at a seafood chain; not at all what this bride had in mind for her WEDDING dinner. We asked our wedding coordinator to communicate our experience with Mambo's management directly with the hopes that they would see the missteps in our evening and demonstrate some remorse, perhaps make some reparations. Her inquiries were met with total indifference; hence, this review. I am not certain how another bride might avoid a repeat of this situation. But, I strongly encourage you to rethink your plans if you intend to host any celebrations of any sort at this restaurant.

Did you specifically ask for and plan to pay for these wedding extras such as flowers, adornments, champagne, special desserts? It sounds a bit like you expected these extras to appear just because it was your WEDDING dinner. I'm a little confused.

First of all - congratulations on your wedding.

I don't think I know what a wedding dinner is. Does that mean that instead of having a reception you had a small intimate gathering for dinner to celebrate your wedding day.

Wasn't your wedding co-ordinator with you?

I am truly shocked as I have never heard that people have been disappointed with Mata Chica when they have prebooked a special occasion.

Usually a wedding co-ordinator will specify and order and get a price for all the special items.

Sorry but $75 a head is not a lot to pay in a resort hotel for regular dinner - so special dinners would be more.

One thing I know about traveling with kids - carry cheerios and raisins and insist that something be brought for the little one immediately.

I am so sorry that your special night was ruined.

Sounds like your "wedding coordinator" may have dropped the ball. All of the wedding coordinators I know on the Island do a great job.

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
S
S
I think your wedding coordinator should have done a better job.

Is 45 minutes too long to prepare a wedding dinner for a party?

Seems to me that if I were cooking this from the point of order, to delivery at the table, it would take 45 minutes unless it was entirely pre-prepared and then micro-waved. That said, I'm no chef . . .but I'm an excellent micro-waver.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

MeJayneD....I appreciate you posting the details of your event. It encourages us all to improve. Even though I have no affiliation or experience with the resort you visited I can say this; my goal and the goal of my team as an Event Planner & Chef is that a specially planned dinner should be exactly that. If the Bride is not happy than we have not done our job.......Nonetheless reading between the lines I can see that you found some good in the evening and hope that you remember it as a part of your special occasion. As Amanda said congratulations! PS: Seashell you always make me laugh..... smile

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com
Thanks for that Judyann, there are a few others that don't get my humor on a fairly regular basis. Such a flat medium, this.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

E
E
A flat what ?

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 337 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.