BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
The exciting Ruta Maya canoe race is on again this weekend. The Caye Caulker Fly Weights Canoe Team is slated to enter the race this year. The canoe team is being sponsored by the Caye Caulker business community.

As a practice run, they enetered the Boom to Belize City race last month, and placed 2nd in the women's division behind regular favorite Koop Sheet Metal.

We wish them every success as Caye Caulker's name (and their pride and ours) is riding on their efforts. By all accounts, they will be strong contenders for first place this year.

I personally have seen the girls practice. They take their canoes out in the surf, tie tires to the canoes (for heavyweight practice) and high tail it out to sea. At this rate, smooth river water and light canoes should be pocket change... (I hope)....

Go Caye Caulker Fly Weights, GO!

Cheers,
Wendy (Proud Sponsor of the Fly Weights Canoe Team! - Wish I could have donated more, but next year, I promise!)

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
You go girls!!! and please share w/ us who's on the team.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Congrats to the Caye Caulker Fly Weights for placing third in the women's division in the world famous La Ruta Maya Canoe Race.

Go girls! We are soooooo proud of you!

Cheers,
Wendy

S
S
Congratulations to the FLY WEIGHTS for a job well done.....

And to all those that supported them.

Su Amigo

[This message has been edited by Su_Amigo (edited 03-13-2002).]

R
R
Thank you Wendy for your support, we'd also like to thank the following businesses/ Paradise Down Scuba,Sunsetview Disco/ SandBox Restaurant/ Anwar tours/ Belize Diving Services/ EZBoy tours/ Lazy Iguana/ Iguana Reef/ Hugo's Gym/ Popeyes/ Chocolates/ Albert's/ Seaside Cabanas/ Vespuccis Table/ Chateau Giselle/Maras place/ Tsunami Adventures!
Forever Young Divers/and Cayeboard Connection

[This message has been edited by Ragga Gal (edited 03-17-2002).]

R
R
To finish, I'd like to let you know that we finished third overall, but did not recieve any prize monies or radio coverage, because we are a female team and they only covered the mens race. We still don't know exactly how we did and when or if we will recieve any prizes for our efforts.
The team consisted of myself Allie Ifield, Aliny Guzman who, unfortunately had to be replaced by last minute star paddler Sue Glenn!!!!, tourist from Ladysmith BC, and Caye Caulker Peace Corps volunteer Amanda French. This team did amazing well considering they used a 110lb, second hand canoe that cost $200.00 and our rivals were in 35- 52 lb. $5000.00 canoes. I think we would have had them had we been in a river canoe. But that's the way it is!
Thank you for all your support!
Look out for the CCRCC Caye Caulker Racing Canoe Club opening and Lobsterfest 2nd annual canoe race in June hosted by CCRCC>

[This message has been edited by Ragga Gal (edited 03-17-2002).]

M
M
Now there is a topic for discussion - and some action to be taken:

Why Oh Why was only the MEN'S Team receiving coverage and prizes?

In this day and age? I can't believe it!

Something needs to be done.

Congratulations Girls, none the less. You keep Caye Caulker on the Map at the annual La Ruta Maya Canoe Race.

Three Cheers!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 334 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day