Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Caye Caulker airstrip will close
It has been a source of problems almost since its construction, and despite numerous spot repairs, aviation authorities have finally thrown in the towel on the Caye Caulker airstrip. As of June first, it will be closed. Airline sources tell News 5 that the sinking surface of the strip has made it too dangerous for passengers and too damaging to aircraft that must land there. A release from government indicates that the strip will remain off-limits for six months during which time fundamental repairs will be made. Presumably, this means tearing up the existing surface, installing a new base, and repaving the runway. The island's residents and visitors remain well served by a large fleet of high-powered passenger skiffs.

P
P
just to ask you?

they closing the airstrip because thre is a problem with the ground?
Is it because is too shallow and the sand is sinking.
Please let me know very concerned because just bought piece of land from sunset enterprises which is adjacent to the strip

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I'm a civil engineer who happened to be on Caye Caulker a few years ago when the airstrip was being built. From my observations I'd say that inadequate substrate and compression of same is the reason for the two distinct "dips" that I observed on my most resent visit earlier this year. And the reason for the repairs that caused the tepmorary closing. I'm not too concerned about any "sinking" in the vicinity of the airstrip on anywhere else on Caye Caulker for that matter. The island has a solid limestone base and will be around for the forseeable future. Incidentally, I purchased a lot in the Pilican Point Subdivision.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
The first attempt to build the airstrip in the early 70's was halted by that spot. They dug that canal and kept dumping fill in the spot where the dips are but never could fill it and gave up.
It took fifteen years before they tried again but haven't quite got the substate right. This area gets more touchdowns than some other places.I own the land on the south side of the strip. It is soft in that area but the Pelican Point side doesn't appear to have a problem.

P
P
ace
I guess we will be neigbours. I am on the lot 3. Cant wait to move over there but I have to wait for the first houses to be built on lots 2 or 1 so I can position the structure around them. By the way I am Peter and for now live in the US. Thanks for valuable info and I feel better allready .

R
R
Well it looks as though I will be your neighbors too. I bought lots 18 & 29 in the subdivision. I am under the impression that most people don't want to start building for one reason or another. I would hope that all residents would be consciencous of placement of their homes to offer view to their neighbors. Especially those fortunate enough to have bought seaside lots. In my opinion it would be rude and selfish to purposely block several peoples view to obtain the maximum for oneself. I am confident that the architectural review board will make sure this doesn't happen. I hope to be one of the board and I assure you it won't. By the way it looks as though three houses will be starting yet this year.

[This message has been edited by reefdiver (edited 07-06-2004).]

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Architectural review board?

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
There are no review boards. Just a home owners asso. as i understand it. Heck the only restrictions are those that the sellers put into the contract. And of course the height limit near the landing strip.

The subdivision is going to be very nice. I am sure building will start when the land and roads are filled. It will be a little piece of paradise.

Good luck to all the land owners.

C
C
Unofficial word from the Dept. of Works, all the equipment is in place and it looks like the airstrip will be done in about 2 months, but don't quote me on that, lots of factors coming into play, weather and funding being the main 2.

C
C
Phase 2 of the airstrip project will be starting next week and is the paving portion. The airstrip will not be lengthened to the east, but has been widened by 5 feet. They expect to have the airstrip completed by October.
--Lee

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day