from friends.....

just a very sad and quick note to let you all know
that mr john marin died suddenly today . it is a very
bad year as many of the pillars are falling on the
island. i will write later but just thought i would
let you know in case you want to send messages to the
family. love and kisses ...

////////////////////
I am happy that I got to see and talk with both Sarah and John this last trip and was
given the royal tour of their great and huge new house...I think it's going to feel
quite empty without one of the great men of Belize...
oh John...We'll miss you so...

[Linked Image]

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
from another friend

Mr�.John�
MR�.John�
John Marin was called Mr. John for a reason�
For many reasons�
It was an address of respect to someone that deserved it.
Mr. John was always there, for me, for you, for many of us.
I don't know if any of you have seen the photo I made of him�
but that was in 1978, when I met both Sarah and him for the first time.
They always extended something wonderful to both my friend Bill and I who were traveling together at the time. Whether it was having us be the first to sleep in their first hotel addition before completion, or taking us to the reef, or having us for dinner with them to share stories of our different lives and our shared daily experiences.
Mr. John was a man of tempered means�a man who rarely got upset at things or people in an outward manner. John had a smile didn't he? Something special from within. A smile that told of a life of many experiences and joys that few can now say they have shared.
A person of vision with his partner, Sarah, that relished the chances to relax with people from distant lands, but always took the time to take care of their great family. John was there�his support was there�his spirit was there�they always worked hard
In almost 30 years of irregular visits to the caye there wasn't a time when both Sarah and John weren't there to visit, talk to, and enjoy life with. From watching Johnnie lifting weights in the backyard, seeing Magic become an electrician in the US, and having their daughters grow up, I can say that they were an important part of my life's education. Caye Caulker is a core part of my experiences, and Mr. John provided a lot of early guidance when I first came here.

Bill and I arrived on this island, knowing little but we had a lot of adventure in our hearts. We started to actually consider buying a house here. And we did, but I have to formally thank John and Sarah for pointing out many of the pitfalls of buying property from the owner. She was tough, they alerted us, and it really kept us on our toes until we got Nellie Price as our attorney. Then all was under control and we bought our little piece of paradise, and we all ended up as friends.

The water and the sky were my main reasons for my making the commitment to this island. Part of that was having John take me out to the reef, it always felt right. There was a feeling of control, peace, confidence, and wonder with John at the tiller. He always had a twinkle in his eye when taking us out to the reef to snorkel. He would sit patiently on the boat waiting for us to return from the great spots he knew. And after returning, it was always good to talk with him about what I'd seen, which always lead to stories about what HE had seen during his life as a lobsterman.

The Marin property was always a treat for the eyes. The magical touch Sarah had on all of her multi colored plants made the property flourish with color, life, and lot's of lizards. She has better than a green thumb, her's is multicolored.
And there was John, making sure things were done, people were happy, the boat was ready, or the project was being completed.
I was always proud to call them my friends, or rather to have them call me a friend.
I am sorry I can't be there to morn my friend in person with you. He is truly one of the human pillars of Caye Caulker.
So instead, you must know in my heart that I am there with all of you in spirit.
Mr. John�
Mr. John�
I will miss you so very much, and thank you for your friendship and advice

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 268 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day