BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#356406 10/30/09 02:50 PM
elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
I though I should share this email with cayecaulker folk.
I planned a trip to Belize this month. Of course I really did not consider the full ramifications of such a trip before I planned the trip. Once I bought plane tickets I started to do more research. Of course I never should have done the research. Now I am aware that a long time resident of Caye Caulker was murdered in her home early this month. I am also aware that there is to be a replacement of the police force on Caye Caulker. I am now also aware of a sizeable number of thefts that have taken place on Caye Caulker. I also learned that malaria and deunge fever are contracted in the interior parts of Belize. There are other maladies that people contract in Belize.
Of course, I live in Houston, Texas where many people are murdered every year. We have our share of diseases. We also have wonderful birdwatching in this area.
So, I guess I am writing to you to ask you if you would advise me to stay somewhere other than Caye Caulker? Would some other island be safer at about the same price? I do not really fear for my safety. I will be traveling with my wife and children. The children are 15, 13, and 10. I want to come down there and feel comfortable. I want to know that my wife and children will be safe.
I do not know anyone in Belize. This is why I am seeking advice from several people that live there.
Many thanks for any assistance,

Any comments?

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
O
O
You will be fine. I felt very safe there. Stuff happens
everywhere. It is a wonderful place for your kids. We
have problems even in our affluent community in USA
where we live. Don't pass up this opportunity to enjoy
Caye Caulker!! I am a experienced tourist from Oregon
USA and have nothing to do with Caye Caulker other than
respect and fond memories. Go enjoy yourself and stop
the parents worry. I can't imagine any normal human being
not having a great time in Caye Caulker.

V
V
We chose Caye Caulker years ago and still think it's one of the safest places to be for our family.

U
U
I was born on CC a long time ago. I live in San Diego now and go to Belize frequently. As always when you travel anywhere take your safety very seriously. Get to know the local business owners etc who can give you good advice on what to do and where to go safely. Unfortunately bad things happen everywhere these days..Caye Caulker is still a great place to visit. Hope you go and enjoy!

N
N
We live outside Detroit and just returned from Ambergris Caye in September. Our teenagers did not want to go home. We felt safe. We loved the people, the surroundings. We cannot wait to return. Anywhere you travel you could come up against a bad situation. Safety is in numbers, but it can happen anywhere, at anytime. Be as cautious as you are in the city your live in.

Go on your trip, leave your worries behind and enjoy these beautiful islands and the wonderful people that live there. Wish we were just leaving instead of just returning!

S
S
Caye Caulker will be the last place in the world I return to.
I was sorry to hear about the murder. The people at Tropic Air were very pleasant. No beach, corrupt police department.
People entering your rental in the middle of the night. Corruption is everywhere in this world. I just happened to experience it in CC. It seemed like the ideal place to vacation but I was wrong. I know the residents don't want to hear it and I'll get many negative remarks. Who cares?????

Nobody should come to any place in Belize expecting to find "great" beaches. We don't have fantastic beaches, we have a living coral reef teeming with amazing sea creatures.

B
B
SCgirl....You should care...your vacations was not a pleasant one...there are people on the Caye dealing with what you experienced and trying to make a change...and this makes me think that nothing will be ideal to your negative thoughts....maybe if you made an informed decision and used the internet for positive reasons you would have known that Belize is all about jungle and reef....not beaches.......and Caye Caulker is safe and beautiful

S
S
Give me a break the "beaches" was something I just threw in.
It is really all about the crime that is not acknowledged.

C
C
I am the person that originally sent the message that started this thread. I really was looking for information from people that actually live in Belize. While I value opinions of others, it would be difficult for them to have the same amount of information as someone living in Belize. So, if you live in San Ignacio and can address the malaria/deunge fever question; or, if you live on Caye Caulker and would like to address the crime issue, I would love to hear from you. I am not going to change my plans. I will visit both locations. I just am looking for more information.

Peace,

Cleatus

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day