Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#396307 01/04/11 11:07 AM
M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
My wife Barb and I are seeking info or experiences of what life is like for EXPATS on CC. We will be visiting in February as a discovery vacation. From all that I read, CC is going to be a good fit for us. My biggest concern is the humidity. Do the constant breezes make the island comfortable enough for no air conditioning even in the summer?

We would love to hear what day to day life is like on CC from those who are living it.....so please chime in!

D
D
Yes.If your house is designed correctly,you need air only about ten days a year.

M
M
We have a neighbor that spends 5-6 months of the year here. They are pretty uncomfortable for the first several weeks then get acclimated to the heat pretty well. Our trips are too short for that to work for me though. On a trip in August we bought a couple of fans that did wonders.
As I write this I'm listening to my generator run so my wife can sleep under an air conditioner though.

T
T
We just use fans, all year round. Never miss the A/C, we acclimatize so fast and even use the (light) blankets at night in August. There's nothing quite like a Caye Caulker breeze at night while sleeping.

R
ron Offline
R
I just have fans which I don't really use. On the north island I get good breezes. I'm also up 10 feet on the first floor and sleep another 10 ft up. Need the breezes to get the flies moving.

B
B
Having spent a few 12 month years on CC I can't help but notice that no one has mentioned this pertinent detail.
The prevailing winds are from the east 90% of the time. This means that if you are on the front, east, reef side of the island, you will almost never need fans, have sand-fly problems. etc.
If your dwelling is blocked from this constant breeze, by other buildings, etc., the hotter and more uncomfortable you will be.
Location, Location, Location, I cannot stress this enough!

M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Very interesting beachdude. This is what I was gathering so thanks for confirming it. There is always a story in where populations settle....and cc is no different. I will see you alll on Feb10!

D
D
The idea that the wind prevails from the east 90% of the time is widely heard but the wind data does not confirm this. It is all about avoiding obstructions to the nearly everyday wind as beachdude says.

M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Dane
The idea that the wind prevails from the east 90% of the time is widely heard but the wind data does not confirm this. It is all about avoiding obstructions to the nearly everyday wind as beachdude says.

Dane,
Interesting...the wind is from the NW at the time I write this. I will have to visit the weather station while on CC and see their records.

C
C
The unusual wind pattern has changed as of today and getting back to the normal east wind pattern..I hate air conditioning..been living here for 7 years..dont want it dont need it.But do need the ceiling fans we are located mid island.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 128 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day