BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
X
XTC500 Offline OP
OP Offline
X
My wife & I usually add cancellation insurance to our airline ticket purchase. With aging parents we worry that we may have to change our plans on short notice. Can anyone tell me if cancellation insurance is like so many other insurance coverage's? If you use it, does your premium go up the next time you want to purchase it? Thanks

R
R
I have had two instances where I had to make a claim on the trip insurance and it out worked fine. I do not believe rates increase if you use it. It is a set rate for everyone. You do have to jump through certain loops.

What happened is that I booked airline tickets on my card for 3 couples to go to Hawaii. About a month before we were scheduled to leave one of the guys developed blood clots, had a minor stroke and was hospitalized for a few weeks. They could not dissolve all the clots and they could not operate because of his weakened condition. Because I had booked the tickets on my card I had to initiate the claim, which I did.

The Airline supervisor I talked to was very nice. The problem was it was Continental who had a defined policy but they where merging with United who did not. Not that the airline policy affected the insurance which we had purchased. The person who cancelled had to get a letter from his doctor and maybe some other documentation and eventually I was sent a check. With some airlines you can get a full or partial refund without insurance but it depends on their policy. The long and short of it is that the insurance worked fine in this case.

Another time the same couple was on a cruise with us when she had what I would call a minor ailment. She had a small amount of red blood from a hemorrhoid. I advised them against going to the doctor on board but she did. He told them they would have to get off the ship and go to the local hospital because if she had a problem at sea he could not or did not want to deal with it. They left the ship went to the hospital which they had to pay cash; spent a few hours there; missed the ship's departure and found us at the next stop. The insurance paid for everything. Medical, hotel, and a flight to the next Island.

I'm now trying to find an excuse not to book them with us on an up coming trip to Alaska. wink

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
To answer your question, no, it does not go up. The insurance for each trip is independent of the prior trip. Caveat: covering existing health conditions that might come in to play; the independent trip insurance companies require you to obtain coverage within 2 weeks of intial bookings. Policies may differ between companies on this.

X
XTC500 Offline OP
OP Offline
X
Thanks for your reply's.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 287 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day