Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#215447 12/21/01 07:26 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I am thinking about an escape from the cold up here in the north. Was wondering if anyone has any experience with guides and fishing on Caye Caulker. I've read the .org page and it sounds great!
Any further info on guide prices, flies, and places to stay would be much appreciated.

B
B
MT....I've fished CC a few times. It won't be what you think, but there are fish to be had there. There is no wadable water along the island to speak of. Most fishing is from boats. There is much grass near shore and fishing is difficult. Guides will be in the 100-150/day u.s. I know a couple brothrs on the island that will guide if you want to e-mail me. CC has a ton of places to stay depending on your budget and comfort level. Try the Anchorage, Tropical Paradise, Tom's, the list goes on and on. I assume you're talking flyfishing, which I don't do. Be prepared for wind and more wind. If your going to fish seriously, I'd book some time out on Turneffe where the bones are bigger and more plentiful. You'll love CC if you like the small cow towns in MT.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Thanks stalker.
Is there any easy way to get a hold of the places to stay there? I've looked at the web-sites that are available but most of the places listed in this site don't have any contact info. Is there an online CC Yellow Pages or something?
Are there mangrove islands and such on the reef off shore? If so there may be wadeable water there? Or is the reef off CC all submerged?
Do you spin for shallow water fish or are you and offshore guy?
Know anything about boat/kayak rental?
Thanks again for the info.
I live in a small cow town in MT so CC sounds like it's right up my alley!

B
B
MT This is a good search site for more info on the below places. I'd book 1 or 2 nights to be sure to have a place, then freelance around the island. There's usually always places to stay.
www.travelbelize.org/stay.html

Trends [email protected]
Anchorage Resort [email protected]
Iguana Reef [email protected] http://www.iguanareef.com Most upscale lodging on CC.

The whole area has 1.5 gazillion Mangrove Islands. You'll be able to hook up with a guide that will know some wadable spots. Most cast from boats however. If you wade make sure you buy a pair of water shoes. Some is sand but much is coral rubble and critters you don't want to pull out of your foot. I spin mostly inshore for snapper, cuda (lotsa) bones, mackerals, and jacks. Bring whatever gear you got, there is NO place on the island to buy any fishing stuff. The flyguys I've talked with use the standard patterns...Crazy Charlies and any other shrimp/crab patterns. The reef is totally submerged off of CC about .5 mi off shore. Many places rent kayaks so walk around...unless Iris took'm away. I see my profile dropped my e-mail...here's mine if you want more [email protected]

Sing'n Drags...BS

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Hey, Thanks again BS. I might be back at ya with more questions as I research more.
If you're ever up north look me up. I'm at the Madison River Fishing Co in Ennis MT

Happy Holidays!

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
You can also check: www.cybercayecaulker.com for a pictorial on Caye Caulker and links to various establishments.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
You can catch bones rite off the docks, just go from dock to dock until you find them. there are also bones at the split along with snapper,grouper,cudas and a bunch of other fish. if you snorkel the split you can get an idea where the fish are. Some of the guides prefer sinkers,line and hooks as tips because that stuff is hard to get and is expensive. Egg sinkers from 3/4oz down to 1/4oz and split shot are good. Hooks from #6 to 1/0 and line 10lb to 20lb are good. Most of the locals fish with hand lines. If you want to troll for cuda bring some steel leader. A lot of the places will cook your fish if you just ask. Try the cuda at Jolly Rodger it is great.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day