Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#215629 01/18/02 01:59 PM
M
Mermaid Offline OP
OP Offline
M
The Mermaid has been accused of being racist and granted, perhaps rightly so.

Perhaps its the difference of cultures and not understanding each others stand point clearly; perhaps that is what racism is.

I'm a Belizean and I am thin-skinned about my heritage and so is every one else about their culture.

There is racism every where, whether we want to admit it or not. There is racism on this board all the time.

Read the posts about the Dreadlocks scammers...; the Belizean's this...; the Ex-pats that...

Belize is a melting pot of cultures who seem to get along on the surface. We are not segregated by color of skin, ecomonic standing or anything else.

We are mixed and mixed again, in and around and among each other, from our Prime Minister to the man on Death Row. This is Belize.

So we've 'learned' to live among each other, but to say that Racism does not exist would be a downright lie. Racism exists within the Belizeans themselves, within every race and it's own culture.

If there is anyone out there who can honestly say that they are not racist, or judgemental of another and his culture, let him stand up.

We look different, we think different, we act different and re-act differently:

The White Man will SUE you. The Black Man will SHOOT you. The Spanish Man will CHOP you....

Bottom line, they will ALL destroy you, by the method that is their cultural norm.

Life is a jungle. And it is survival of the fittest, even if we want to pretend it ain't so.

#215630 01/18/02 02:44 PM
S
S
Well said Mermaid, very good food for thought......, I don't see anyone standing yet, I too am guilty of racism and profiling, it's part of life.

I forgot to mention, I'm 1/16 Black, 1/16 Creole, the rest is a mix of Irish, Welsh, German, English and Native American. I had a Black nanny, and I was told that I drank her breast milk.

Albert

[This message has been edited by Su_Amigo (edited 01-18-2002).]

#215631 01/18/02 03:03 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
that was a nice honest response to posts about you feelings of non-belizians mermaid. and yes, maybe it is true that we are all racist in some way. but i too am a belizian and i may judge people from time to time, but i don't feel it is right. so while you have understood that about yourself and others, maybe you should have included that we should ALL work on that aspect of culture clash. it would surely bring us closer. we all have something to learn from each other. nobody is perfect, but we should always strive to be our best. and i'm sorry, but yes even belizians are segregated to a point. black people in belize are usually poorer than spanish and hold less positions in politics. why even on caye caulker there is a place called "the black neighborhood" on the BACK street full of very low standards of living, while a spanish mermaid has been fortunate enough to own beach front property. it is always important to look at your surrounding and ask what you can do to help. myself included.

#215632 01/18/02 05:55 PM
M
Mermaid Offline OP
OP Offline
M
See what I mean folks?

See the racism, quick as that, and among Belizeans themselves?

See how the SPANISH Mermaid (on the beach) has been cut out and seperated from the BLACK neighbourhood (on back street)...

And in all of that there is still a 'holier than thou' attitude.

But that is my point. And it came quicker than expected.

Thanks 'More food'...

Peace.

[This message has been edited by Mermaid (edited 01-18-2002).]

#215633 01/18/02 08:50 PM
G
G
mermaid and albert- points well taken but there is nothing wrong with asking ourselves do we want to continue down this path or at least give a try at being open minded and make our decisions based on what we see within each other rather than forming our opinions from percieved asumptions.

example- i'd rather not be viewed as "just another tourist" while i am there and have people see me for the person i am. i know not everyone will but those that do will meet a new friend for life who's got some things in common with them. duane

#215634 01/18/02 09:01 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
There appears to be a segregation of sorts on the island. The have segment and the have not segment. Poor and Wealthy.

While one may come from and advantaged background and another may not does not mean that they should be treated differently. Their individual actions should dictate the way they are treated.

Because one was not born with land does not make him a lesser person. Though on the other hand because one lives beachfront this does not make them the better person. It instead is all about how each one treats others and what they do in the community with the means that they have.

#215635 01/19/02 09:06 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Hey, no food, in Los Angeles, poor people live in South Central LA and the wealthy live in Beverly Hills too. And the same is true for perhaps EVERY country in the world, not just the microcosm that is Caye Caulker. Unless we become CUBA (and even THERE, the wealthy have and the other's don't), then what you say is reality.

Caye Caulker is the richest village in the entire Central America. This was proven by a scientific UNICEF study and still remains so today.

Look around you, in your neighborhood, and see how many people there work for a living every day. I do.

Our tour guides on this island are some of the best paid people in the entire country of Belize. Many make a minimum of $500 U.S. per week, EVEN THOUGH many have no more than a high school education. Heck, I do not have a college degree myself.

However, there are some tour guides that are wildly successful in their careers, make a ton of money, yet still have no material wealth. Why? Because of what they choose to do with their resources. Some people re-invest money back into other business ventures, others spend their money on traveling and what not, and yet others spend their entire paycheck on boozing and drugs.

Why should those that act prudently with the money that comes their way be made to feel guilty for those that choose to do otherwise with THEIR money?

We did not come from a family of wealth. 25 years ago, everyone on this island were exactly the same. We all went to school barefoot, sat up doing homework under the light of kerosene lanterns, and we all emptied our slop bucket into the sea each morning.

Cheers

#215636 01/19/02 10:10 AM
B
B
First I must state what a wonderful read this was. Much mind food. Thanx Mm

You may blink and gasp at this...I feel there may be a good side to racism....the uplifting, warm feeling you can experience when you come to the conclusion you've been wrong most of your life...I've been struck with these emotions more on CC than any place I've ever been.

#215637 01/19/02 10:12 AM
S
S
Well said, Da Mee.

#215638 01/19/02 10:49 AM
M
Mermaid Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I disagree that some are born with land and some without.

It has always been my attitude that we were ALL born equal - NAKED - that's all.

It is what WE ourselves make of this life that matters.

The Son of a wealthy family may very well have too much, grow up spoilt and become a Drug Addict and/or a menace to society and [#%!] his life away.

While another Son of a poor family might use his meager struggling family life to MOTIVATE him to do better and be an 'upright and respectable citizen'.

What makes the difference is family life, love and the paths show us by the influencial people in our lives...

And by influencial, I only mean those nearest us who will inevitably pass on the 'attitudes or approach' to life, whether consciously or not...

Our parents, siblings, neighbours, teachers, but most importantly, those of our own culture, where the sense of 'belonging' and 'self worth' first begins.

[This message has been edited by Mermaid (edited 01-19-2002).]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 284 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day