Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses
BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
OP Offline
A
Amanda Syme posted a question about property taxes to this forum and then the post was blocked for public responses to the same forum in response to the question posed. I don't know the reason for that but I think if you ask a question to the public then let the public answer transparently about how they feel so the answers can be publicly debated. I am tired of "secrecy" issues concerning public issues.

That said, I believe Amanda's question is slyly posed. First of all, raising property taxes is not the only way to raise funds for the projects mentioned in her post. There are numerous other ways to raise funds for municipal projects that are less cumbersome on poor people.

In fact, I would be unequivocally opposed to the raising of property taxes specifically because property taxes create undue hardship for the people who can least afford it -- the poor.

I would suggest, instead, the recommendation that a per unit Impact Fee be charged to any developer over a certain size intending to build on the island. Impact Fees would revert to the City Council to upgrade utilities, road works, etc. to meet the increasing demands caused by the needs of these large-scale developments.

Thanks and cheers,
Wendy Auxillou

Wendy Auxillou
Auxillou Beach Suites
Caye Caulker, Belize
www.auxilloubeachsuites.com
C
C
I own property on Caye Caulker, but do not live on the island. I must say I was pretty shocked at the low cost of property taxes. I agree that raising the taxes would put an unjust burden on the local property owners. I think there should be some way to let visitors increase Caye Caulker's tax base. Something that always
concerns me is trash on the island. Most property owners do a great job of keeping things picked up, but certain areas look bad, especially areas right on the water. I know that it's practically an everyday chore to keep the area looking nice, but I say it's worth it. The area around the split is such a great spot, but there is always trash there. I have brought first time visitors to CC on more than one occasion and this topic always comes up. I think Wendy has a good idea on the impact fee.

C
C
Tides bring in most of the trash on the beaches..its a major problem . Taxes are calculated by an assessor that comes to your property and looks at your house and decides what it could rent for, then you are assessed a yearly fee..I also feel blessed with the low prices here on Caye Caulker..and here anyway it seems a fare tax..the plywood houses in the poor ares get taxed so little, and the new more modern places get taxed more. We have about 1/4 acre with a small duplex and only pay $150 U.S a year, whats the problem... San Pedro ..well I dont know what to say..The place is unsaveble....

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
S
S
Ha! Caye Caulker is only a few years behind but catching up....

C
C
More like 10 years, we dont have electricity..only generater..no water system....and people learn from their mistakes...

S
S
Yes, and the developers are all angels...

C
C
To some I guess..what i am saying is that the last 10 years the economy went gangbusters, all over the world..it is a more cautious time now..I had a house in Montana that I sold for $89 K , two years later it sold for $400 thousand.to developers that lost their ass..my house on caye Caulker doubled in value in 2 years..but that kind of turnaround may not be seen again for years. I will live here as long as I can, thankful I am not allowed a vehicle..except for my bike..thankful for the exercise..the low property and income taxes..the reef..the water..and friends.just plain thankful..I do not think it right when a foreigner moves into another country and complains or in the case of San Pedro, as in many other countries moves in and makes it impossible for the locals to afford to live in there own home, and THEY COMPLAIN....I do not care what my property is worth..The Global warming will take the island or my children will get my house..Developers are having such a hard time now..mabe they will become Angels...

Cooper, we can only hope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day