Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
susangg Offline OP
OP Offline
S
How about an internet raffle? Hotel and condo owners could donate a room/condo for a week, airlines could donate airline tickets, restaurants could donate dinners for 2...tropical art works, etc. We could have the drawing in San Pedro on New Year's Eve (don't have to be present to win, tix could be sold via the net or by mail...)

In fact, the raffle could be combined with a SILENT AUCTION at the height of the busy tourist season over the holiday combined with a raffle. There will be a couple of thousand tourists in town to sell raffle tickets to? We could have the drawing and the Auction on New Year's Eve????

I will donate a week in one of my condos to start out.

How about it?????

I bet we could raise many thousands of dollars that way. Everybody could sell tickets, in person and via the net.

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]
S
susangg Offline OP
OP Offline
S
To elaborate on the raffle/auction theme: If 100 people each made a committment to sell $1,000 US worth of raffle tickets (that's only 100 tickets at $10 US each), it would create $100,000 US for the people in the Mayan villages most affected. That money would go a long way for new houses, new roofs, new windows, new water pumps, agricultural tools, school books, simple furniture, etc. Long term needs that will still need to be made after the quick rush of donations for emergency supplies is over.

I am sure that I know enough people to sell 100 tickets at $10 apiece.

Don't you?

Susan Guberman-Garcia
[email protected]

S
S
Susan,

How about an on line auction, with a minimum starting bid for items. Then you don't have to hold the drawing or sell raffle tickets...just auction off donated items, with the money going to the Mayan villages as soon as the auction on that item is closed. In that way the items could come in at different times, providing a continuous flow of money. Lodges, airlines, tour companies, etc that donated goods and services could provide a link to the auction on their website. For example, an all inclusive vacation that cost $1200 could start at $600, or something like that. The complicated part is who would moderate the auction, collect the $ and distribute it? We would gladly participate in this auction with donated adventure tours in Belize. Does anyone out there have any experience with this kind of undertaking?

Lucy Wallingford
Slickrock Adventures
[email protected]

S
susangg Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Lucy, in my experience, auctions of any type, whether silent, not silent, on-line or in person, do not raise as much money as raffles unless you are catering to an extremely well-heeled crowd. The reason is that there is usually a "ceiling" on the amount of money you raise based on something less than the actual value of what you are auctioning. With raffles, there is no value-to-result limit built into the activity.

The other problem is that you have a much smaller pool of contributors with auctions.

Auctions work well for the white-tie crowd, less so for others. A silent auction is usually the final event of a larger benefit, often used at fund raising dinners or performances. It is a good thing to have as an add-on to another event but does not bring in much money as a stand alone venture.

Also, your target group is primarily the same people who are donating already.

I have done quite a bit of fund raising for political candidates, issues and causes, and I have learned these things from experience. I've done dinners, concerts, cocktail parties, raffles, auctions, barbecues, direct mail, guestbooks for conventions, etc. and have a pretty good idea of what kind of fund raising effort works for what kind of cause. All this was volunteer effort (didn't do it professionally) but you still learn a lot from doing it.

This is more of a "public" type of fund raising activity, not an "in crowd" event. I would be very surprised if an auction brought in more than $5,000, maybe $10,000 at most. We could easily raise ten times that much with a raffle if we got 100 people to commit to selling 100 tickets apiece, providing enough businesses would participate.

Susan Guberman-Garcia
[email protected]

Hey Susang,

EVEN though RUMOR HAS IT that you "disched" (sp) me in a chatt room last year about this time.... LOL

GREAT IDEA!!!

YEP, I sure would be interested in buying a bunch of those tickets!

to the top....

B
B
This may or may not be a good idea. Ebay or Yahoo may serve as host for an auction with potential hundreds of thousands, if not millions of potential bidders. Ebay has done this several times, for different causes, and may be open to it.

S
susangg Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Dan: It couldn't have been me...I don't visit "chat rooms." Have you ever seen the level of conversation there? Right out of Beavis and Butthead...I tried one once about 7 years ago when I first got online. For 5 minutes...

Actually, I shouldn't have used the word "auction," auctions really don't work standing alone, they are only good as an accompaniment to some kind of event. (Been there, done that...) whereas raffles don't require the involvement of any third party company...they're pretty low tech. You can customize them for the net for sales, payment and "ticketing" if you want to, but you can easily do it the old fashioned way, too.
The best thing is that other than gathering the donated items, they don't require a huge amount of work on behalf of one person, nor do they require large contributions to raise a lot of money. Anybody that has a family, friends, a church, a club, a friendly workplace, etc. can raise money with little effort. All they have to do is sell tickets and mail the stubs to the person handling them (which I guess would be me, since I volunteered).
But its really up to Marty to decide if he wants to go with this idea, I'm just volunteering to do the grunt work. He's in charge of the fund.

Hey Susan,

Actually my name is Hope. I use denverdan since it is also our e-mail address.
I was sooo upset when it was "rumored to me." (don't know if Marty remembers that. laugh) but I got over it.

I'm a bit thin skinned ya know. Shy and all. smile I'd never do well in a court room. LOL BIG TIME!

Anyway... if ya need any help with this on the U.S. side (Denver to be particular) I would be more than happy to assist.

This is a great idea, keep it going!

Sincerely,
Hope

L
LV Offline
L
It's a great idea, only problem is, they need the money, like, yesterday, and an auction or raffle would take time...and people to organize.....why doesn't everyone just contact 100 of their closest friends for a ten buck donation this weekend. Or 50 people for 20 each....I have seen people at my company contribute that much for a baby shower gift for a co-worker they barely know....seems to me if 100 people gather $1000 each and turn it in to Marty's fund by Monday, we would have $100,000...the story I heard about the Maya babies asleep on bare wet cement should be a way to get people to open their wallets..made me cry..in particular to Hope or anyone else in Denver (I am in Boulder), there is a huge scuba show going on right now in Denver, this weekend and I was trying yesterday to contact someone connected to that to get permission to collect there....gave up as noone would answer their phone, and the dive shop I frequent in Boulder couldn't break out of their mindset that I was talking about collecting for the Virginia divers' families...so if anyone has been to the Exta-Sea Expo today and noticed if someone is set up to collect donations, let me know, I will go down and help them tonight or tomorrow...too late to get official permission from the show organizers....and I am splitting my time trying to reach someone in Placencia to help my personal friends there....it is such a bad case of more than enough stuff around and no transportation to get it to those in greatest need at this point...Placencia and the like seem to be getting enough...I have a small household of stuff and an intact roof on the Placencia peninsula that could be used by someone, but can't connect with anyone there to go and get my stuff and take to someone, some of the same stuff that is sitting around in NEMO warehouses not going anywhere either....If I was only there I would personally take my rugs, sheets, towells, pots, pans, solar shower bag, tarps, etc. from the house and walk it to San Pedro Columbia for those poor babies on the concrete....this is so frustrating....

Laura

Laura,
Hurricane board so I'll be brief...
e-mail me REAL quick like, or check out the chat board re the scuba show. Would love your company this evening.

[email protected]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 295 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.