Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#12687 10/27/01 05:11 AM
A
Alice Offline OP
OP Offline
A
This will be my first visit. Our dive group will be there on the 2nd. Any suggetions on what to bring. I'm a new scuba diver and just a little afraid of flying out of the country again (got stuck in Cancun for an extra 5 days), diving, and hurricanes.
Do you even want a bunch of tourist coming down and expecting service after the storm. I feel really bad doing that. Can we bring anything down with us to help out? Let me know.

#12688 10/27/01 07:40 AM
HI Alice - PLEASE DO come to Belize - we welcome tourist dollars to help get things put back together. Big question is WHERE are you going? If you are headed to San Pedro you will find that the town is 100% ok and ready to show you a great time diving, eating and relaxing. I think that it's a few weeks too soon for the locals to cater to tourists in the south. If you want to donate, there is an urgent need for children's clothes. When you get to your destination you can take them directly to the Red Cross.

#12689 10/27/01 11:08 AM
A
Alice Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks for the reply. We will be going to Ambergrise. I will start packing. See you in a few days. What short of children's clothing should be bring?

#12690 10/27/01 02:39 PM
L
LV Offline
L
A friend in Placencia told me they needed children's clothes desparately (the bulk of the donations have been adult clothing). Especially shoes for kids - like beach shoes, tennis shoes, sandles, even flip flops I would think. A lot of debris around and kids who are used to going barefoot are not able to walk around without stepping on nails, etc.. Kid's T-shirts and shorts and simple washable dresses. Elementary school uniforms in Placencia are navy blue jumpers for girls and pants for boys and light blue peter pan collar blouses..I think green jumpers/pants and yellow blouses in Seine Bight..I am sure a lot of that was lost, and they re-opened school in Placencia this week without a roof...school supplies also could be brought down in luggage. Also heard that the Mayas need kids clothes and sheets or light blankets to wrap babies in. Someone on another board said they like to make thier own clothes, especially ladies dresses, so bolts of cotton cloth, solid colors. I have wondered how many had their treadle sewing machines ruined (?). Check out the report from Frank on this board, maybe he will give us more ideas on what they need.

As to the question about tourists coming down at a time like this: Please, please come if you are planning to visit places from Hopkins village north, which includes all of the cayo jungle lodges, Ambergris and Caye Caulker, Belize City district. These areas were not affected by the hurricane and your tourism dollars invested there will help southern Belize recover just as much as sending supplies. Placencia peninsula and the Toledo district today are not able to host tourists since things like food, electricity and water are being stretched to supply the residents, and anyone extra there right now would be a burden...but please ask in the next few days, weeks, about a particular destination down there, please don't just assume they are not open for business. With regard to the Palcencia peninula in particular, I personally know people there are working to re-open or re-build their businesses, some probably as soon as next month. They will be needing customers and that will be the best way to help them recover in the coming weeks! So don't forget about hurricane relief when the emergency needs are past.

Thanks!

Laura

#12691 10/29/01 03:08 AM
A
Alice Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Laura, Thank you for the information. You must be one terrific person to take the time to answer. I will post it at the dive shop and maybe we can get some items in the next day or so. We will probably have to send it down. I will also let the churches in the area know what you need.

Sometime you can get so much stuff that you don't need that you wish they hadn't sent anything at all. Just more stuff to deal with. Right.
Your description of needs helps in what to send.. Sometime when we don't live in an area or haven't visited it we have no idea of what is needed.

I'm looking forward to see your area of the world. It sounds like you have a wonderful place and great people. We will be at the airport on the 2nd about 5 on Continental.
Thanks once again.
Alice

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 139 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.