Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
V
OP Offline
V
Do Americans need a VISA for a daytrip to Tikal? Hear it is $45USD which seems high for a daytrip plus the entry and exit fees for both belize and guatamala.

We also will have a rental car already to get to Cayo. Is it safe, easy and practical to drive ourselves to Tikal or should we leave the car behind in San Ignacio and take a tour? Thanks for the insight.

One consideration is that most rental car companies won't permit you to take the car into Guatemala. Crystal is one, Thrift I think still does allow it. Another is insurance -- last time I checked you couldn't buy insurance at the Melchor/Benque border, and of course Belize insurance isn't valid in Belize. Easy and safe? Well, it's a matter of how you see things. Guatemala isn't Michigan or Georgia, but it's certainly a lot safer than, say, South Africa.

If you are an American citizen you do not need an advance visa to enter Guatemala. Departing Belize you now have to pay a US$10 fee. There is also a Guatemala fee, which is somewhat more flexible depending on what the Guat officials think you will pay.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
K
K
Hi,
Where are you staying in Cayo? I believe anywhere you stay would have guides they know and trust who would take you to Tikal. Personally, I would recommend going with someone who is reputable. I would forget about taking a rental car on your own into Guatemala. It would be great but also could be a big headache with potential problems. Tikal is worth seeing, but it is also worth perhaps paying a little more to ensure a safe trip and excellent guide. If you need help with finding a good guide, I have friends who live in the Cayo district who would be willing to offer their advise.

Karen Pasquariello

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 152 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.