Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Yesterday I was told that a new Tourist Center is being built in Belize City and that cruise ships will come to the outer edge of the reef, then water taxi toursit in. Does anyone know anything about this?
Is it a good or bad thing?

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Don't know about the Tourist Center but cruise ships already come to the outside reef and water taxi people in to San Pedro.

I believe the new Tourist Village is scheduled to open November 3. Michael Feinstein, who among other things (and, boy, there are a lot of other things) owns Royal Mayan in Benque and Blackbird Caye, has the contract and the juice.

Good or bad? There are two perspectives: if you believe big boats vomiting day trippers, as in Coz or St. Thomas, is good for Belize, then it's good. But if you believe Belize is a different kind of tourist center, then it's not. Or maybe there's a middle ground -- as Belize City has such a reputation, whether totally deserved or not, as a crime-ridden hell-hole, then maybe even a political plum of a tourist center will have long-term positive impact.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First http://www.belizefirst.com/

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
OP Offline
Lan
I too had mixed feelings when I was told about this. I told the person I sure hoped that the cruise ships had moorings to tie up to instead of anchoring out on the reef.
Where in Belize City is this being built? Do they have a web page? Is the tourist board paying close attention to environmental issues?

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
M
M
If this DOES ever come about, it will be a good thing for the local vendors to have a permanent place to offer their wares. In the past, they used folding tables and tents, which gave the Tourist Village a gypsy feel. In my opinion, it would be a benefit to show "Belize Daytrippers" something NICE in Belize City. There is a big bandshell there, too. I hope that stays and gets used more often.

Crime-ridden Hell-Hole? Ya shakin up the Tourist Board, Lan. Let's see if they can spin that one.

Gone fishing!!
S
S
The tourist board is too busy shutting down low cost hostels to be concerned about the environmental impact of cruise ships. First things first, you know!

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 314 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.