Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

The municipal elections are set for March seventh, 2012. The elections normally precede the general elections but there is speculation that the general elections will be held before or along with the municipals. Both major parties, the P.U.P. and the U.D.P. have fielded mayoral and councilor candidates, today a third and much smaller party, presented its City slate. Two former government ministers gave them support. News Five's Jose Sanchez was there for the event.

Jose Sanchez, Reporting

Vision Inspired by the people announced their slate for the Belize City Municipal Elections. The slate is headed by Paco Smith, VIP's Mayoral candidate.

Paco Smith

Paco Smith, VIP Mayoral Candidate

"At this point in time, I find our city to be neglected, to be stagnant, unfortunately unsafe and it is in a decrepit state. You need not do more and drive down the streets and know what I am talking about with regards to infrastructure; our streets are in terrible conditions. In my humble assessment I believe that this is due to these factors: no accountability, a lack of direction, a lack of social responsibility, of course the big word corruption and very importantly; poor fiscal management. I've said before that we are here to serve."

Myrna Mae Reynolds

Myrna Mae Reynolds, VIP Candidate for City Council

"My name is Myrna Mae Reynolds. I am a mother of six and I am a nurse for twenty plus years and I am here to make a change. Thank you."

Robert Ferguson, VIP Candidate for City Council

Robert Ferguson

"Good day everyone. My name is Robert Ferguson. I'm a businessman, photographer by profession. I am here to make a change. Hope is on the way. Thank you."

Felipe Martinez

Felipe Martinez, VIP Candidate for City Council

"Good morning everybody. My name is Felipe Martinez and I'm here to work along with Mister Paco committee and like I say we deh yah fi work fi Belize City along with wi future mayor, right."

Sean Ferguson, VIP Candidate for City Council

Sean Ferguson

"Good morning everybody. My name is Sean Ferguson. I am an entrepreneur and a chef. I'm part of this movement because I want to see a change for Belize where Belize can go back to the way how it was before back in the days. Thank you very much."

Jude Lopez

Jude Lopez, VIP Candidate for City Council

"Good morning everybody. My name is Jude Lopez. I'm a father of two and I'm thirty-two years old. I am a businessman and entrepreneur. I have over ten years extensive audit and accounting experience and I believe that with the experience that I bring, I can make a change and contribute to a difference within the council. Now you hear the other two parties continuously make reference to mismanagement and audit, then they've never done it-they've never completely one. You ask the question why. I believe that with my knowledge and my experience, I can make sure that our internal financial management and financial information system is up to par, is up to date; records are there and that we are getting things done the right way."

And though it was only five candidates for councilor plus the mayoral candidate, the VIP received endorsements from former PUP Senator Don Hector Silva and former P.U.P. Minister from way back when, Fred Hunter.

Fred Hunter

Fred Hunter, Former P.U.P. Minister

"The VIP, the PNP is what the country needs. We now have a choice. First you had black dog for monkey. You go to the black dog; ih do yo bad. You go to the monkey ih do yo bad. You go back to the black dog; ih do yo bad and yo go back to the monkey. You're caught between a vice. And they are not going to change because they are too old in their vices. We're bringing in new blood, new ideas, new vigor; we're bringing in vision. we are here to solve problems and we're not going to discriminate or victimize as both of our parties have done. Whichever party is in, one half of the country gets victimized and one half gets the sweets. The sweets are for all. We don't have men with vision in government. Both of the established parties; we don't have men with vision."

Wil Maheia

Wil Maheia, People's National Party

"We are tired of this madness of the P.U.D.P. Now ladies and gentlemen, we have an opportunity to make a change. I am begging and asking; I'm pleading to the Belizean people: no more of this where they are telling the people that t VIP to small or the PNP too small or they dah just one party. No! We have men and women of vision. We do not need the corrupt P.U.D.P. to continue running this country."

Don Hector Silva, Former P.U.P. Senator

Don Hector Silva

"Today some streets are impassable by mud and by crime. Today people you go dehn talking about shacks. In Spanish there is a song names "Casita de Carton" and you go to some of these areas and people are living in mud; in swamp. Oh we built so much housing, oh we doing this-next year we wah do that, the other year we wah do this; but the year neva come but the people are living in the same condition. And this goes for the two major political parties that have taken the country for granted. Five for me; five for you. But now dah ten fi me now-years. The best thing that Belize can get this year is to make a declaration that there is an alternative that is prepared to work for the glory of Belize; for the second revolution."

So in addition to red and blue, you can also vote yellow. Reporting for News Five, Jose Sanchez.

Channel 5

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

VIDEO: VIP in the Municipal Election race

Municipal Elections are just under three months away and the jockeying for position continues by the two mass parties as well as a number of independent and third party candidates. Today the VIP announced its intention to seek municipal office. Love TV's Marion Ali and cameraman Myles Gillett were at the press conference to launch the 2012 municipal slate and bring you the following report.

LOVETV

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.