Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
OP Offline
M
Hi! We will be going on our second Belize trip this June. We will be staying on AC first but also want to stay 3-4 nights at a nice jungle lodge. We are interested in Mayan Ruins, wildlife, kayaking and caving.
Ian Anderson's Lodge sounds great for caving but Chan Chich sounds also great. Would be 2 nights at each be possible or would it be to hard to get to both places and still tour the area? Would you recommend a rental car for this or is it better to use the transportation offered by the lodge? Any info would be great! We would like to be in a realy lush jungle area.

M
M
Chan Chich is a wondeful lodge, but doesn't offer the activities you've listed and is a 4 hr drive in and out and you can'tdrive from there straight thru to Cayo/Ian anderson's.

Do Ian and then travel up to San ignacio and stay at one of the great lodges on the Macal River for more ruins, river trips, kayaking and more.

You'll be able to do more of what you want in this area.

Katie Valk
Maya Travel services

Maya Travel Services
M
M
Sadly I see that Katie has become very biased in her recommendations. Chan Chich is a WONDERFUL experience... one of the best in the world for wildlife and certainly great for seeing Maya ruins as well. Can't possibly be beat!

S
S
Defintiely do Ian Anderson's Caves Branch (sorry, I have never been to Chaan Chich) but would go back to Ian's any day, any time. www.cavesbranch.com

http://www.roughwriters.com Smooth communications in all media
M
OP Offline
M
Thank you all for the recomendations. Is there a swimming area in the river or something like that by Ian Anderson's Cabins?
There is nothing better than swimming in a cool pool or river after a hot sweaty day in the jungle. Does the Jaguar Paw Resort have Palapa style cabins or is it more hotel style which we don't like? Heard that is a very nice place as well.

M
OP Offline
M
Sorry another question. Is there good caving by Chan Chich? We are big time into caving.

Jaguar Paw does not have thatch cabanas -- the 16 rooms are in four units.

As to swimming at Chan Chich, there is a beautiful swimming pool which opened a couple of years ago -- nicely done with a netted top to keep out bugs, lots of tile, a small artificial waterfall. There is also a lake near Gallon Jug.

Regarding caving around Chan Chich, I'm not sure. Most of the better-known large cave systems in Belize are farther south in Cayo and Toledo districts but there are some in that part of Belize as well, especially south of Gallon Jug. Don't know what you could visit, though. If caving is a priority, then I would think you would want to spend most of your time in the Belmopan/Cayo/Chiquibul area, and of course Ian Anderson is known for his caving trips.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Guide to Mainland Belize http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
T
T
I never been to chan chin but I went to Maruba resort www.maruba-spa.com and it was a great experience. You can do horse back riding, lamanai, altun ha and spa treatments. It also has two pools. Plus it is closer to the airport.

Chan Chich is my favorite its built right in the plaza of a Mayan Temple complex , kinda makes the Mayan tour unnecessary , horse back riding there is superb and of course the Birding is like Meca for birders since its in the middle of 100,000 acres of rainforest. Oh and I fly in they have their on strip Tropic lands on.
I asked Kate to be my partner in the hot tub there.I could be a little prejudice

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.