Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Mahogany Street is one of the most trafficked thoroughfares in Belize City - but this afternoon pedestrians ran for cover and drivers ducked behind their steering wheels, as dozens of shots were fired in a high speed chase.

It played out at around 1:40 - when multiple police units were pursuing a private van. Most of it played out on Mahogany street where a red Van was seen firing shots near the complex building. Police came behind, firing after the van, and as it sped away east on Mahogany Street. That's where a GSU Patrol was waiting. The van was heading right for them as the GSU let off gunshots - but they didn't shoot out the tyres and the van darted down a side street. The GSU followed, but the van eluded them, and re-emerged unto Mahogany Street where another police vehicle set chase, gunshots firing the whole time. But the van got away from them both - and while they shot the van, it kept going. Incredible, under chase from at least three police vehicles, the driver of the van got to his home on Santa Barbara Street which is two blocks from Mahogany street. That's where police caught him.

But that's not where they started chasing him - that started after a shooting in the area of Collett Canal about one and a half miles away from Mahogany Street and that's where our story starts:..

Jules Vasquez reporting
This the vehicle that Joshua Lewis pulled up to the Precinct one police station in. The bullet hole through the rear window the blood on the car and on the sidewalk in front of the precinct office - show that this is where he came for help In precinct two this is the vehicle that police pursued to Santa Barbara Street - police scenes of crime personnel were searching it for bullet fragments.

The driver pulled up here on Santa Barbara Street at his house after a chase through Mahogany Street - a chase in which police say he fired at them. He was arrested

And his bullet riddled van was taken into police custody.

Bryan Neal, Attorney for Driver of Van
"What we have been able to ascertain so far is that he was being shot at. The police conducted an extensive search of the area. No weapon was found, they search his house and no weapon was found and the police came on him a short while after he was shot at, so there is no weapon that he was using. I only spoke to my client Mr. Marquin Drury and had some bullet grazes on him. As I said he has some grazes on his knees, he had one on his face below his left eye and he had one somewhere on his arm."

Jules Vasquez
"Sir, I spoke to the father of your client just now and he indicated that in fact certain PIV gang elements had been targeting his son and his son was in fact fleeing fire not initiating fire."

"That is my instructions and all the evidence points to that. When you look at the Astro van, there are about 4-5 bullet holes that I saw; two in the windshield, some in the door, one in the back and the police are saying somehow that they found bullet slugs in the vehicle and I think that is what they are going to use to try to charge my client."

Jules Vasquez
"Multiple accounts are saying that fire was coming from that vehicle and it was happening on the Mahogany Street area, which somebody from inside that vehicle was firing at the police who had set up a road block. What's your comment on that?"

"Well it is an early stage. If there are witnesses I hope they come forward and give statements so that when this matter goes to court they can be cross examined to see if they are really telling the truth."

Jules Vasquez
"From all the evidence of guns being fired, is it amazing that no one was hurt? You saw all the puncture holes on the van."

"That is so and I was very surprised. I was teasing my client that he is an angel of God because he has a bullet graze right under his left eye. If that had gone one inch to the left he would have been dead."

Neal says they intend to charge his client for attempted murder.

The driver of the van remains detained pending charges. Incredible, despite all the shots fired in a wide open public space at the height of the afternoon, there are no reports of anyone being injured during the chase.

Channel 7

So, in broad daylight in public places and busy streets, the Belize City police were firing their weapons. That's just great. It is against policy in most every other country. Training folks, the police need training!! Too darn right it was lucky no one else was hurt or killed.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

C
C
"It played out at around 1:40 - when multiple police units were pursuing a private van. Most of it played out on Mahogany street where a red Van was seen firing shots near the complex building."

What do you expect the police to do? My God confused

I expect them to do better than recklessly endanger others by shooting willy nilly with no success and despite a number of police units coming across the van, he managed to elude them all. I expect the police to quit embarrassing themselves and become better trained.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

L
L
Originally Posted by seashell
So, in broad daylight in public places and busy streets, the Belize City police were firing their weapons. That's just great. It is against policy in most every other country. Training folks, the police need training!! Too darn right it was lucky no one else was hurt or killed.

No, it is not against public policy in the United States. We have laws about preventing the lesser of two evils. Look it up.

C
C
Originally Posted by LaurieMar

No, it is not against public policy in the United States. We have laws about preventing the lesser of two evils. Look it up.

I guess the criminals shooting out of their red van wasn't a travesty. It's just the cops that are criminals.

According to ErnieB Seashell prefers the thugs to be the heroes and the cops the villians wink

L
L
It is the same ideology that some thought about the Trayvon Martin trial. Those that understood the law and how to apply the law to the facts, along with the responsibilities of a jury, understood. Those that didn't, did not understand or get it.

It would be interesting to know what Belize law is on what we call the lesser of two evils. I would assume, although I hate to do that without knowing for sure, that they have similar laws. My assumption is based upon the police actions, which I find justifiable, from the article printed.

And, crimes take place everywhere: broad daylight, public places and busy streets. Is the argument that it would not made a difference if it was dark and quiet? Makes no legal sense to me.

C
C
Originally Posted by LaurieMar
It is the same ideology that some thought about the Trayvon Martin trial. Those that understood the law and how to apply the law to the facts, along with the responsibilities of a jury, understood. Those that didn't, did not understand or get it.

It would be interesting to know what Belize law is on what we call the lesser of two evils. I would assume, although I hate to do that without knowing for sure, that they have similar laws. My assumption is based upon the police actions, which I find justifiable, from the article printed.

And, crimes take place everywhere: broad daylight, public places and busy streets. Is the argument that it would not made a difference if it was dark and quiet? Makes no legal sense to me.

Apples and oranges- There is absolutely unequivocally no comparison between Trayvon Martin and thugs shooting up the town in Belize City..............give it a rest laugh

L
L
I rest my case. You get the point, or at least I hope you do.

Didn't want to answer here and let the thread die slowly, but as the discussion is going on, I would like to drop my 2 cents: The police in Belize have improved a lot, they have made a huge leap forward and they keep surprising me with their insight and thoutghfulness (they are still not perfect though). Bashing them like this is really lame and disrespectful:

I expect the police to quit embarrassing themselves and become better trained.

We are still a third world country and it is easy to criticize these guys who work for less than US$ 400 per month and risk their lives for our safety, while getting the job done. I think dollar for safety we should be doing pretty well.

Live and let live
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 289 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.