Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

BDF, Police officer and civilian remanded to Hattieville for kidnapping

At approximately 10:15 a.m. today, Judge Emerson Banner remanded Derrick Gideon, Juan Cus and Justin Cassimiro to Hattieville as a result of charges laid upon them in connection to an incident which took place on Sunday, February 21st in San Pedro Town.An official police report states that on Sunday, approximately between the hours of 12:15 and 1:00 a.m. Gideon, a police officer stationed in Belize City, Cassimiro, a Belize Defense Force soldier stationed on San Pedro Town and civilian Juan Cus visited Juan Perez, a vegetable vendor, who was sleeping in his boat docked by the Old Football Field. According to the report, both officials, who at the time were dressed in civilian clothing, arrived with Cus and explained to Perez that they needed to transport him to the San Pedro Police Department. The three men who were armed with a firearm proceeded to hurt Perez’s assistant, a minor, who was on the boat with him at the time. Perez agreed to go with the officers. However, the report alleges that he was being taken in the opposite direction and not to the Police Department as the officers had stated. Perez was robbed of $650 before managing to escape. Once free, Perez made a report at the Police Department. The report led to the detention of the three men who were arraigned at the San Pedro Magistrate’s Court.The three men were jointly charged for kidnapping, aggravated burglary, conspiracy to commit aggravated burglary and harm. Because kidnapping charges are dealt in the Supreme Court level, all three were remanded to Hattieville Prison until their next court appearance on April 7th, 2010. Gideon was additionally charged for resisting arrest.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Victim of San Pedro Attack Speaks

Last night we told you about the rogue policeman and BDF soldier on San Pedro who were charged along with a civilian for kidnapping, aggravated burglary, conspiracy to commit aggravated burglary and harm. They are accused of a case of gross and criminal abuse of power. 45 year old fruit vendor Juan Perez reported that 23 year old Police Constable Derrick Gideon, 21 year old BDF Soldier Justin Casimiro and 29 year old civilian, John Cus went on the boat where he was sleeping, roughed him up and stole from him. The plain-clothed lawmen and the civilian also detained and were about to kidnap him when he escaped. Yesterday Perez told his story to the San Pedro Sun.

Juan Perez, Robbery Victim
“They told me they were policemen and they came to search my boat because I have drugs in the boat. I told them I do not use drugs and I don’t sell any drugs. They told me that they have information that I am selling drugs and that I should tell them where the drugs are.

Gideon told me that I have drugs and he will search me first, when he searched me, he found $650 and told me that it was illegal money and that he will take it. I told him OK but that's the money from which I sell vegetables.

I stayed with the other two men on the dock, they told me if I did something, they would shoot me.

Gideon after searching the boat he said to me why did you lie to me?, he then hit me on the left side of my face. He wanted to hit me again but I told him to continue to search the boat. So he took out me assistant by pushing him and shouting at him and hit him twice on his head.

Gideon told me to stay on the dock while one of the men went inside the boat with the minor and then he put a gun to his head asking him where is the drugs?

I told my assistant stay in the boat, they will take me to the police station. I thought they were going to take me to the station. They were taking me to the San Pedrito area. When we reached in front of the field I managed to escape from them.”

Perez told the Sun that he believes they were taking him to the San Pedrito area to kill him. When he escaped – he ran to some soldiers – who were incredulous at first, saying that the man he is accusing is a soldier. Right then, he claims Gideon gave him back the knife that he had stolen from him on the boat. A police report issued today alleges that while Gideon searched the boat he knocked the minor unconscious when he hit him. As we reported last night all three men have been placed on remand at the Hattieville prison.

Gideon has been interdicted from active duty on half pay, pending the outcome of the charges against him. The soldier was off duty and Commander Dario Tapia says he will recommend to the Security Services Commission that he be suspended.

In a related development, the police officer who was on patrol with the BDF two weeks ago in Belize City when they lost the M-16 has rifle been charged for the disciplinary offences of Prejudice to Good Order and Discipline, and Dereliction of Duty.

He appeared before a tribunal where he pleaded not guilty. The two soldiers who were with him were found guilty by a military tribunal and were awarded 40 days imprisonment at Kolbe – with a forfeiture of pay for that period. The soldier who was directly responsible for the missing weapon was placed on stoppage of pay and both were recommended for discharge to be approved by the Security Services Commission.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

BDF, Policeman and Civilian remanded to Hattieville for kidnapping

The vessel where the victim was staying when the incident occurred.

Assistant Marlon Blanco with Mr. Juan Perez.

At approximately 10:15 a.m. on Tuesday, Judge Emerson Banner remanded Derrick Gideon, Juan Cus and Justin Cassimiro to Hattieville Prison as a result of charges laid upon them in connection to an incident which took place on Sunday, February 21st in San Pedro Town.

An official police report states that on Sunday, approximately between the hours of 12:15 and 1:00 a.m. Gideon, a police officer station in Belize City, Cassimiro, a Belize Defense Force soldier stationed on San Pedro Town and civilian Juan Cus visited Juan Perez, a vegetable vendor, who was sleeping on his boat which was docked at the Old Football Field. According to the report, both officials who at the time were dressed in civilian clothing arrived with Cus and explained to Perez that they needed to search the boat for drugs. They went on to explain that they had been tipped off about the possibility of drugs being hidden inside the boat. The three men, who were in possession of a firearm, proceeded to hurt Perez's assistant, Marlon Blanco, who at the time was sleeping on the boat, as well. Perez handed over $650 when questioned about money and agreed to accompany the officers to the police department. However, instead of heading in the direction of the police department, Perez claimed that the men were taking him to the San Pedrito Area. The report continues by explaining that Perez managed to escape and found assistance from people in the area. Police officers and BDF soldiers arrived at the scene and a man hunt ensued to locate the men.

After the victim properly identified the culprits, the three men were jointly charged for kidnapping, aggravated burglary, conspiracy to commit aggravated burglary and harm. Because kidnapping charges are dealt in the Supreme Court level, all three were remanded to Hattieville Prison until their next court appearance on April 7th, 2010. Gideon was additionally charged for resisting arrest.

Perez stated that the incident has not changed his mentality about the police department. "The officers that assisted me were good and the way they have handled the incident is great. I know that there are good cops and I know that there are bad cops. In a way, I am pleased that the incident happened to me. Because of that, the bad cops are now out of the service."

San Pedro Sun

M
M
Isn't Justin Casimiro the brother of Russell Casimiro, a dive master on the island that use to work for Aqua Dive? I met Russell a couple of years ago and he said his brother was part of the BDF. Russell must be shocked that his brother is in such trouble. My heart goes out to him.....

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 329 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.